Answer the Phone or Not?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I work HR and you helping will not help and/or hurt you. Your bosses and the company already know what they are going to say about you. I would not waste time. If they call again just tell them you are busy looking for a job. Which you should be!!!!
Have you updated your resume and started applying to other jobs yet?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
If it's just a small piece of information like where something is or what a file is called, then fine. But if it's something more in depth that they should have thought of before they let you go, then I say screw them. THey should have done better planning before you left.

However if you're still getting paid then are you technically still employed and just not actively working? ANd if you refuse to help, can they then just fire you for real? hmm.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: BoomerD
The company laid you off...fuck them.

This has nothing to do with co-workers though. If you want to help them because you're still on friendly terms, then help them, otherwise, set the answering machine to say, "Gone Fishing, be back in a month, leave a message." If one of the bosses calls, (or if you suspect a co-worker is calling at the request of a boss) then ask for consultant fees of however much you think you can get.
Once you're laid off, (even if you're getting severance) you don't owe them anything.

:thumbsup:

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
I would't take anymore calls from them. A couple at first to be polite since they did give you a severance and to not burn bridges. I think you are done answering there questions. You were cordial, now don't answer the phone or they are going to use you like a $5 tranny...

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Originally posted by: jjones
Originally posted by: FeuerFrei
You're still getting a paycheck. Better pick up the phone.
He's been laid off. Refusing to take calls would not effect whether or not he continues to receive his severence.
No he won't be laid off until the end of the month. He's still an employee pending the termination date, except he can't report to the office. Naturally he isn't going to be very useful, but he can still be contacted for reference purposes.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
I would answer the phone and answer any questions, but I wouldn't spend too much time with them. If the calls are infrequent and only a few minutes long, then I'd do it. As others have said no need to burn bridges, karma, etc...

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: FeuerFrei
You're still getting a paycheck. Better pick up the phone.

Yup. They are under no obligation to be giving you an entire month of pay. Might as well be courteous to them and not burn bridges.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If it's a co-worker you liked and a quick easy question like where you left something, etc, then I'd just answer them to be nice. If they start asking instructions on how to do this and that, tell them you'll gladly tell them for a consulting fee.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: theknight571
They've called and asked about procedures and some documentation I was working on.

Both conversations total maybe 10 min.

They are not asking for much which is good. In my experience, I have found that the favors I do for people get returned to me more often than not one way or another. More specifically for your case, I would take the calls and try to be as helpful as I can. Keep in contact with your co-workers. Doing that might get you another shot at that company in the future if you want it. Another way to think about it is that those co-workers might get laid off in the future as well. They might end up finding a great job and recommend you to their boss giving you a good opportunity. You would be surprised how often nice things will just fall at your feet if you do nice things for other people.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
wait, how do you still get paid when you're laid off???

this whole thread is confusing.

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
Personally I would not take their calls. If they need you so bad then they shouldn't have laid you off.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
people are so afraid of burning bridges, i don't understand. do you lose all reference because you choose not to associate with your former company's employees after you're laid off? do you lose your work experience? i'm sorry but i have other things to focus on then helping people from the company that just laid me off unless i'm getting paid to do so, and i would personally be bitter if it happened to me, so there's no sense in picking up the phone to be courteous. you have no obligation to help anyone and you're not going to burn bridges unless you pick up and tell them to fuck off. if you must, do as others said and change your voicemail.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Getting layed off has nothing to do with you, and its nothing personal - its business. Yeah, you got hosed, you had a little fit, got really upset, and now hate the company. But its business. You can find another job in no time. Lesson be learned, never settle into anything. But there is no need to not answer the phone like a dick head. Don't be a baby. Learn to cope with the business world.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: mrCide
people are so afraid of burning bridges, i don't understand. do you lose all reference because you choose not to associate with your former company's employees after you're laid off? do you lose your work experience? i'm sorry but i have other things to focus on then helping people from the company that just laid me off unless i'm getting paid to do so, and i would personally be bitter if it happened to me, so there's no sense in picking up the phone to be courteous. you have no obligation to help anyone and you're not going to burn bridges unless you pick up and tell them to fuck off. if you must, do as others said and change your voicemail.

The man said he has taken two calls lasting 10 min each. While there is no guarantee, I'd say he has more to gain than he does to lose. Worst case scenario is that he wasted 20 min of his life. People do that everyday.

However, to defend your side of the argument a little, I'd say that the OP should draw the line somewhere. He said he is only doing this till the month ends which probably means there is nothing to worry about, but I would suggest saying no if they asked him to do anything which took more than an hour of his time. That's pushing it.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
You were told NOT to report to work. Therefore do not work. By answering the phone calls you are doing what you were told not too.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
I think the problem is if you start helping them off the bat, it's going to get worse and worse. It's like being the computer guy to your friends. First it's a 10 minute call, then perhaps a 20 minute, then a 30 minute or an hour--that's when it becomes a real problem. At some point you have to say 'look i'm not doing this' and they've come to expect it, then they get angry/frustrated/bridges are burned (possible scenario). I personally (and people I work with) know that if someone gets fired or laid off chances are you're not going to be able to get their help again, and we accept it.

I actually had a talk with my supervisor about it since my company is downsizing. I mentioned that it's possible I would make myself available for weekend/consulting work and/or just say forget it and cut ties--and he understood. I think most supervisors/bosses/managers would understand as well, and not burn your reference should you need it.

But thats my 2 cents.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
wait, how do you still get paid when you're laid off???

this whole thread is confusing.

Cause I'm not officially "laid-off" until the month notice runs out.

Technically I'm still employed during the 30 days, just asked to not report to work.

After the 30 days...then I'm officially laid-off.

I've answered the phone more because of the friendship I have with the remaining employees than anything else.

The company itself can go fly a kite... I respect my former co-workers as friends though.

And... As previously stated, after the 30 days... they're on their own.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Tobolo
You were told NOT to report to work. Therefore do not work. By answering the phone calls you are doing what you were told not too.
Reporting to work and working are two different topics, one is generally for being on site, and the other is for doing actual work.

OP: Just be kind and help them out, if you cared even 1% about what you did, this should be a no brainer. I do see spidey07's point of view regarding billing them for your time, but that's a hassle for everyone. Let's say they agree to be billed at $50/hour or something, is he really going to bother sending out an invoice for $50, following up on it incase they ignore it, etc.?

Just answer their calls and be kind, if you're on good terms with them and they hear about another opportunity that might be of interest to you, it's a chance to get a referral.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: BoomerD
The company laid you off...fuck them.

This has nothing to do with co-workers though. If you want to help them because you're still on friendly terms, then help them, otherwise, set the answering machine to say, "Gone Fishing, be back in a month, leave a message." If one of the bosses calls, (or if you suspect a co-worker is calling at the request of a boss) then ask for consultant fees of however much you think you can get.
Once you're laid off, (even if you're getting severance) you don't owe them anything.

Exactly.

And about "not burning bridges"... People who don't burn a bridge, deserve whatever comes across that bridge after them.
People who won't burn a bridge, have already decided that retreat is an option. These people need to be culled. They will negotiate away from victory.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
if they fired you and didnt give you a free month salary, ignore them. Since they did give you basically a free 4 week severance I would take the calls and help especially if you liked your coworkers. It is downsizing, it sucks but sometimes it happens.

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
I have been in your situation before, and I tried to appear helpful without actually being helpful. If the question was a relatively minor one that they could actually figure out without much effort (i.e. Where is the original software for the server? when they could open the media cabinet and find it) I would answer it. If it was something more involved that they would have to actually invest some time and effort into figuring out (i.e. What part of the account management script was it that populated values in AD attribute so and so?) they would get a reply similar to "I am so sorry, but all my notes on that process were on my PC that you already reimaged.".