Another wild week in college football

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Utah upset kicked USC out of the playoffs
Michigan started slow against the Spoilermakers but made their typical halftime adjustments
Kansas State was impressive against TSU and won in OT to complete the College Football Playoff chaos

Would a 2 last-second-loss Bama get in based on strength of schedule or would OSU get in despite a weaker schedule and getting slapped around by Michigan? And would TCU drop to #4 (because they lost to #10 while OSU lost to #3) setting the stage for a Michigan OSU rematch in the first round?
Well its settled now but man was the speculation flying.
Georgia vs OSU
Michigan vs TCU

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
How's Rutgers doing. Are they still in the Big 10 (or was it Big East?)

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
As usual the PAC-12 cannibalizes itself...
Well with USC moving to the Big 10 (er...16 now I guess) you won't have to worry about that as much. And if they move into the western division they'll have a chance to do well since the west is garbage right now

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Top 3 Teams in the Big 10 East only have losses within themselves (0, 1, and 2). Silly divisions, silly playoff system honestly. USC plays themselves out of the playoffs while OSU gets in while sitting at home watching the team that beat them beat a dramatically inferior opponent? Makes it kinda hard to watch CFB for me. One loss and you kinda lose hope for the season unless you're already a top 5 team losing to another top 5 team. (I'm being hyperbolic, of course, but still.. meh)

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Top 3 Teams in the Big 10 East only have losses within themselves (0, 1, and 2). Silly divisions, silly playoff system honestly. USC plays themselves out of the playoffs while OSU gets in while sitting at home watching the team that beat them beat a dramatically inferior opponent? Makes it kinda hard to watch CFB for me. One loss and you kinda lose hope for the season unless you're already a top 5 team losing to another top 5 team. (I'm being hyperbolic, of course, but still.. meh)

Well they are expanding the playoff system starting in 2024? to 12 teams (lots of people want 16 but twelve is still better than what we have). I am not 100% of all the details, but the top 4 ranked P5 Conf Champions all get a bye the first round. So using this years results the expanded playoffs would like this

1st Round
1. Georgia, 2. Michigan, 3. Clemson, and 4. Utah would all receive 1st round byes.

The rest would be matched up as follows.
12 Tulane vs 5 TCU, 11 Penn State vs 6 Ohio State, 10 USC vs 7 Alabama, 9 Kansas Stave vs 8 Tennessee
** I think the committee would probably work it so Penn State and Ohio State don't play each other since they already played in regular season, maybe swap PSU and USC ***

The second round would be
1. Georgia vs winner of KSU/Tennesse
2. Michigan vs winner of USC/Bama
3. Clemson vs winner of OSU/PSU
4. Utah vs winner of TCU/Tulane

Interesting to note that the highest ranked G5 team is included (no more UCF, WMU, etc getting locked out), independents (ie Notre Dame) can never be in the top 4 as they have no conference, and I believe the first round will be played at team stadiums (ie not neutral sites), so that would be pretty cool to see a southern team traveling to the north in December. Second round games would involve the usual big name bowl games.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Yeah its not the best system with a very valid argument about the method of including conference championships. But thats where the change bguile talked about comes in - at least hopefully

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
404 Chaos not found

Everyone knew TCU was in the CFP after the thrilling OT loss to K State. Only Nick Saban wasn't in on the truth. :p There is just no precedent for a 2 loss team to get into the current CFP field. Would Bama defeat TCU on a neutral field? You'd like their chances, but that's beside the point. I thought TCU would drop to #4 but the committee wants Georgia to sweat a bit in the semifinal. :tearsofjoy: Personally I'm glad both Bama and Clemson are not back in the CFP, for a change.