Another way the war has harmed Iraq

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
One more way the war by the US on Iraq has hurt the country, following years of sanctions that killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, mostly children, from disease and such:

8% of the population of Iraq has fled the country, including a lot of the people like doctors.

This is a good description:

Link

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: blackangst1
meh

Why the meh? Its clear you already have a bias against them from past posts here, and the fact that most are Muslim only probably adds your lack of care for anything about them.
Does "meh" mean you don't care? Does it mean you don't think its a problem? Why not be a little more specific
====
I personally find this problematic. We talk about letting the country get back on its own feet, we talk about creating a democracy [ironically, once which seems to be forced at this point], we talk on and on about what needs to be done in Iraq to be successful...

yet an exodus of professionals is NOT a good thing, and displacing 8% of your population is even crappier. It sounds like those who ARE able to get away from the carnage DO get away...
How much diluded can we be about the massive problems concering Iraq?
It reminds me of the time I spoke with a CEO of a defense company (a massive reagan fan...) last July who told me that "I predict, within the next six months, the insurgency will entirely fade away...and things will be better" OH RLY???!?!?! He also said China was going to be the world's factory, India was going to have all the engineers, and we would own all the patents :p

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: magomago
meh

Why the meh? Its clear you already have a bias against them from past posts here, and the fact that most are Muslim only probably adds your lack of care for anything about them.
Does "meh" mean you don't care? Does it mean you don't think its a problem? Why not be a little more specific
====
I personally find this problematic. We talk about letting the country get back on its own feet, we talk about creating a democracy [ironically, once which seems to be forced at this point], we talk on and on about what needs to be done in Iraq to be successful...

yet an exodus of professionals is NOT a good thing, and displacing 8% of your population is even crappier. It sounds like those who ARE able to get away from the carnage DO get away...
How much diluded can we be about the massive problems concering Iraq?
It reminds me of the time I spoke with a CEO of a defense company (a massive reagan fan...) last July who told me that "I predict, within the next six months, the insurgency will entirely fade away...and things will be better" OH RLY???!?!?! He also said China was going to be the world's factory, India was going to have all the engineers, and we would own all the patents :p

No where have I been biased against Muslims.

I say meh not because I dont care, but because analyzing everything in this war doesnt really accomplish anything. I guess Im looking at the big picture. Ever read the history of Japan AFTER we bombed them? The rebuilding and stabilzation took quite a bit of time.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Craig234
One more way the war by the US on Iraq has hurt the country, following years of sanctions that killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, mostly children, from disease and such:

8% of the population of Iraq has fled the country, including a lot of the people like doctors.

This is a good description:

Link

The sanctions part is Saddam's crime.

Otherwise, I don't see a big problem with some of their professionals leavingIt strikes me a proof these people are rational, and as I consider them "national assets" of Iraq its smart to move them(selves) out of harms way. I suspect that they will return when the environment changes.

I see no big deal here, nor anything surprising. <shrugs>

Fern

xenolith

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2000
In war people get killed. Things get destroyed. People flee. Who'd a thunk?

It took more than half a century for Eastern Germany to become rebuilt and liberated from the grips of war, Nazism, and Communism.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: blackllotus
Originally posted by: xenolith

That doesn't make it OK

Guess it depends on your view. "OK" is reletive. IMO, war for the sake of destruction is bad. War for the sake of liberation is good. There are many examples of countries who are better now due to their liberation.

Your opinion may vary. Maybe you think ANY death of a human is bad I dunno.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004

That doesn't make it OK

Guess it depends on your view. "OK" is reletive. IMO, war for the sake of destruction is bad. War for the sake of liberation is good. There are many examples of countries who are better now due to their liberation.

What in the blue hell do you think gives you the right to justify one life over another? :|

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21

That doesn't make it OK

What in the blue hell do you think gives you the right to justify one life over another? :|

Well....last I checked we are all entitled to our own opinion yes? For example. If someone rapes my daughter, I would have no problem killing them. Same goes for my mother or my wife. Same goes for anyone who wants to kill me because Im an American. Or anyone who breaks into my house to do harm to my family. BOOM. 40 caliber right between the eyes.

Maybe your answer is diplomacy? Sit down and have tea and talk about their childhood?

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004

That doesn't make it OK

Well....last I checked we are all entitled to our own opinion yes? For example. If someone rapes my daughter, I would have no problem killing them. Same goes for my mother or my wife. Same goes for anyone who wants to kill me because Im an American. Or anyone who breaks into my house to do harm to my family. BOOM. 40 caliber right between the eyes.

Maybe your answer is diplomacy? Sit down and have tea and talk about their childhood?

What's funny is your analogy only furthers my point. I'm talking about the millions of Iraqi's killed / displaced by the US invasion. What do you think their points of view are? The US just came in and forcefully crippled their government, possibly killing their loved ones in the process-- according to you, their reaction to US occupation should be one of "boom 40 caliber right between the eyes." ... Which it is. And you're criticizing the very thing you're advocating.

But but but... we're the good guys!!! Prospective, buddy.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

That doesn't make it OK

What's funny is your analogy only furthers my point. I'm talking about the millions of Iraqi's killed / displaced by the US invasion. What do you think their points of view are? The US just came in and forcefully crippled their government, possibly killing their loved ones in the process-- according to you, their reaction to US occupation should be one of "boom 40 caliber right between the eyes." ... Which it is. And you're criticizing the very thing you're advocating.

But but but... we're the good guys!!! Prospective, buddy.

We all have our opinions :) How boring it would be if we all had the same. Just because people have 2 differing views on any particular subject doesnt make either one of them wrong-

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
What do you suggest?
does anyone else hear crickets?

That pretty much sums it up lol

Could start with some massive evacuations
Every Iraqi who wants to leave gets a trip to the US with a home and a job and citizenship and all the best they can get
They can return at anytime or never

For punishment, all US tv stations and interweb can only broadcast dieing Iraqi babies and all the carnage 24/7 for 7 years (except for the new Iraqi arrivals)

And of course the debt of the whole shinding