Another Video Card Question

Ulfric

Feb 16, 2013
I'm converting an old desktop into my first attempt to a HTPC and was wondering if my existing GTX275 would be able to work as the HD video and sound if I used a DVI to HDMI adapter into my HDMI video source (on my receiver) or if I should just get an inexpensive newer video card? I have to use a video card since my CPU doesn't have a GPU.

Just trying to keep costs down and use what I already have if it'll work. Thanks in advance.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
According to this your 275 won't send HD audio formats, but you might be able to bitstream sound to your AVR, but I think that's only HDMI to HDMI. I don't believe DVI does sound. A $30 5450 AMD or 620 Nvidia card will run everything, burn far less power, and likely be quieter if you can find a cheaper passively cooled card.

EDIT: should have said 6450. The Egg has several fanless models for ~$30 after rebate.

Last edited:
May 27, 2008
You might be able to pass audio on your GTX275 from an DVI to HDMI adapter. What you will need is a SPDIF out header on your motherboard and an SPDIF in header on your GTX275. If you have both of those headers then you just need a cable.

Nvidia SPDIF cable ---> http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3429

Note: SPDIF can pass Dolby Digital (AC3) or DTS. Which is typically what you find on DVDs. It can not pass DolbyTrue HD or DTS-HD, which is usually available on BluRays.

Edit: If you do have an SPDIF header on your motherboard you very likely have an SPDIF out connector on the back panel. If it does the easiest way to get digital audio to your receiver would be with a toslink cable. Just make sure your receiver has an optical in. It probably does if it is modern enough to have HDMI.

Toslink cable --> http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10229

If you must have DolbyTrue HD or DTS-HD then a new HD5450 would be the cheapest option.

Last edited:

Ulfric

Feb 16, 2013
Well that's what I expected and I don't have the headers so I'll be looking at a new video card. Thank you for the responses.