Another USN destroyer, USS John McCain, collides with a commercial ship

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
It wasn't so long ago that we were all talking about the Fitzgerald but now the USS John S McCain has collided with a merchant ship near Singapore. Fortunately only minor injuries were reported in this incident but considering that its the second Arleigh Burke class ship to be involved in an accident could there be some operational issue contributing to them?
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/20/asia/us-navy-destroyer-collision-singapore/index.html

Edit: Now ABC and NBC are reporting that 10 sailors are missing.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/uss-john-mccain-collides-merchant-ship-singapore-search/story?id=49327836
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/n...-s-mccain-collides-merchant-ship-east-n794386

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
wow, i wonder how that happens with probably multi-millions of dollars worth of sensors on the navy warship

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Human error almost always occurs, no matter the technology.

Yes but if it keeps occurring at this rate we won't even have a Navy.
I suspect some changes are coming down the pipe to squash this incompetence.

1: Is it simply human error?
2: Was there an issue with the guidance?

Is a single person watching the navigation systems to warn of collisions? Do their operations / lives come down to a single (likely) point of failure? Who is the idiot who thought that was possible to skirt by on? Heads are rolling over this one.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Maybe the helmsman doesnt know he is driving a boat instead of a torpedo?

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Most likely the problem is drunkards. It is a problem in some other famous militaries also. I think they should also make this book required reading for all commanding officers.

714PH4X5FRL.gif

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Oh, I figured it out. After the famous healthcare vote the President must have ordered a hit on John McCain. Only he forgot to specify the Senator.

Reactions: anky and Zorba

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I'm surprised the ever so outspoken Donald doesn't ask his many generals wtf is wrong with his ships and why they keep running into shit. If I were him I would be asking "do you have the same retards in the Navy driving the boats that you have flying my helicopter?". Perhaps he is too stupid to make the connection that the same retarded military that is charged with keeping him safe is the same military that can't beat a bunch of afghani sheep herders with ak-47s.

I wonder if that will be his announcement on afghanistan: "Sorry people! But not Sorry! Our military is retarded, we're going home"

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
the Navy just walked the leadership of the Fitz off the plank. i have a feeling the leadership of the McCain are going to get royally fucked.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Trump: "That's too bad"

Has he found a way to blame John McCain yet?
I can only imagine what's going through his demented head. Probably thinking something along the lines of "if he had a better father and grandfather those ships wouldn't collide like that."
Oh, I figured it out. After the famous healthcare vote the President must have ordered a hit on John McCain. Only he forgot to specify the Senator.
He's probably got a McCain voodoo doll on his nightstand that he shakes violently and then pokes with crochet needles before he goes to bed.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
"He named his (failed!) ship after himself, total loser. Old men should not drive boats!#MAGA"

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Bruce Willis wonders why Trump is flaming him on Twitter :p
He wasn't wearing his glasses when he did that so he couldn't distinguish that the L was missing.:p When confronted by the news Trumpelstiltskin declared it to be fake news before storming off the stage holding Ivanka by the pussy.:D

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
the Navy just walked the leadership of the Fitz off the plank. i have a feeling the leadership of the McCain are going to get royally fucked.

Both ships are also part of Destroyer Squadron 15 and the 7th fleet. 2 ships having the same issues should lead to the squadron and fleet commander being sacked as well since they have command accountability.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
What an embarrassment, Wtf is going on with the Navy
Budget cutting on training for the last 25 years or so. It's pathetic. Now they'll have a big safety stand down and blame people for procedural non-compliance. It's hard to follow procedures when you don't even understand the fundamentals of the gear you are operating. In the new Navy procedures fix everything. I've been working around Navy personnel since 1980. They drastically started cutting back on training starting in the late eighties and it continues to get worse. None of the Chiefs who know anything are there anymore.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Well 500 feet ship can be hard to spot out there on the water....