Another US Xbox360 price drop coming anytime soon?

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
I know Japan just had a drop recently because it's doing so poorly there.
One of the rumors is that the sys price will drop in the US when GTA4 is released.

If it dropped another $50.00, I'd buy one.

What are the current, sys. prices for each configuration of the 360?
Core, Elite, etc.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
If another price drop were coming, I'd bet on it arriving at the same time as GTAIV. After that, who knows.

Arcade - $279.99
Pro - $349.99
Elite - $449.99 (whoops)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I'd say it's a possibility since the PS3 has been beating it in sales lately.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: mugs

I'd say that's due more to availability.

If the 360 drops to $229 for the Arcade, I wonder if we'll see a Wii price drop? If I had the choice of a 360 or Wii, I'd go for the 360 instantly. Not that I don't like the Wii, but there's so many damn games for the 360 ...

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

Probably because more people already have 360s. There is sure to be a slowdown as the 360 user base fills up.

ghost recon88

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2005
Originally posted by: dreadpiratedoug

If the 360 drops to $229 for the Arcade, I wonder if we'll see a Wii price drop? If I had the choice of a 360 or Wii, I'd go for the 360 instantly. Not that I don't like the Wii, but there's so many damn games for the 360 ...

Also if you had the choice, the 360 is probably the only one you could find in-stock.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
who knows.

price drops aren't announced weeks in advance or anything, that would only slow down sales.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ghost recon88

Also if you had the choice, the 360 is probably the only one you could find in-stock.

And that's why the Wii's price won't drop anytime soon. I'm sure the value of the dollar doesn't help either.

Originally posted by: Oyeve

Probably because more people already have 360s. There is sure to be a slowdown as the 360 user base fills up.

Granted, but with only ~15 million sold they have a long way to go.

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
price drop due to quantities already sold, I concur.
Just like PS2 had several price drops in the past, from volume.

Price drop due to competition? Highly unlikely!
360 is on a different martket segment than the other consoles.
If you haven't already bought it yet, then I doubt you're in that segment.

Similar to the housing market, I suppose.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I think there will be in a few months.
Sony has recently started to produce chips for the next revision of the ps3 that will decrease cost, heating issues, etc. meaning they might be able to drop the ps3 price.
If they do, MS will have to follow their lead to stay competitive.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: ghost recon88

And that's why the Wii's price won't drop anytime soon. I'm sure the value of the dollar doesn't help either.

Originally posted by: Oyeve

Granted, but with only ~15 million sold they have a long way to go.

Beating it in sales in Japan (duh) and Europe. (A lil bit of a shocker, but not huge) If the PS3 starts outselling the 360 here in the states then you'll see MS retaliate in some shape. (With this being a big year for the PS3 in terms of games, and with BR about to win, I'm sure that will happen at least a few months this year, but I don't see the PS3 constantly outselling the 360 here stateside)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Beating it in sales in Japan (duh) and Europe. (A lil bit of a shocker, but not huge) If the PS3 starts outselling the 360 here in the states then you'll see MS retaliate in some shape. (With this being a big year for the PS3 in terms of games, and with BR about to win, I'm sure that will happen at least a few months this year, but I don't see the PS3 constantly outselling the 360 here stateside)

It is kicking ass in the US, but I figure if Microsoft is competing with Sony for developer resources, they'll want to maintain their worldwide lead (or at least in the US and Europe). It is kind of surprising that the PS3 is selling better in Europe when you compare the game selections. I figured Europeans liked the same kind of games we do (plus soccer games).

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
MS needs to drop the price in Europe/Other but it's still outselling the PS3 3:2 in the US and MS wants to keep the games division in the black.

It's a little surprising to see at VGChartz that in Europe/Other PS3 game sales are already matching or beating 360 sales on shared titles, even though 360 consoles sold is still a million ahead of the PS3. It looks like existing owners of 360s don't keep buying games at the same level as they do in the US.

Of course the wii is still nindominating them, with more worldwide sales than PS3 and 360 combined.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I hope they dont drop anytime soon... I still have a "Premium" and maybe an Arcade system to sell :evil: