Another shooting -- Will another mass shooting affect the election about 2 weeks?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
If one of the people on this forum who likes to carry a concealed weapon comes across a shooting decides to throw down and gets himself shot because he wasn't really as much as a BAMF as the weapon made him feel...

I'd feel bad for his family.

Also don't make the mistake of equating "lefty" with anti-gun. doesn't always work that way.

Wait. Let me get this right:

Shooting is ongoing, presumably innocent people are being hit, injured and killed.

Random person who is carrying a concealed pistol sees/hears it, investigates. Finds the gunman, and decides to intervene ostensibly to save the lives of the innocents who are being shot.

Now, if the good Samaritan who just intervened - put their life on the line to save other's lives - gets killed you would give them no respect? Wow, you're messed up. The idea of laying down ones life in an attempt to save other's lives should be something to be admired, not downtrodden.

I mean...think about it: what if Colorado had allowed guns into theaters (because the law prohibiting it TOTALLY stopped some insane guy from shooting a theater up. Oh, wait), and someone had been carrying when James Eagan Holmes shot up the theater? That would have been one...two...maybe more guns that could have fired in defense of the people in the theater. That could have been one dead gunman and less dead innocent people. Or maybe Holmes would have run the second a round snapped over his head. The only possible downside is that someone who is concealed carrying accidentally shoots an innocent while trying to hit the gunman (in WA, that's a manslaughter charge.)

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/21/shooting-reported-at-wisconsin-spa/?hpt=hp_t1

How will this affect the 2012 presidential election?

will President Obama if elected enact martial law to seize private weapons?

Personally I think the sad fact is that shootings are so common in the U.S. that unless the shooter takes spectacular efforts the chances are it won't make national news.

Are you equally sad that in the UK the rate of rape per capita is (last I looked) nearly DOUBLE the rate in the US? I have zero doubt that is in large part due to not only concealed weapons, but also because most states have far more lenient laws on allowable force.

Martial law? You're kidding. Most guns aren't tracked in any way. Most guns have been lost to time, sold from one person to another with no ATF forms filed. At the very WHIFF of guns being seized, many people would just bury a couple guns somewhere. And the one group of people that you would totally fail to disarm are the criminals: they sure as hell don't have guns that the ATF is aware of - many have the serial numbers ground off them. If Fast/Furious proved anything, it's that the US gov't is rubbish at tracking guns.

And let us not forget that the US gov't is also at fault for letting guns into the hands of known criminals. Guns that later were used to kill US citizens, as well as Mexicans.

P.S. Oh yeah I bet some forum trolls here get the hardest boner at the thought of being in the immediate area when the next mass shooting happens

And I for one sincerely hope they get their wish

You're sick. I don't ever want to be around a shooting, because that presumes one is happening. Do I wish I could have been in Aurora that night and carrying? Sure. Do I wish I could have stopped the wacko in Seattle back in late May this year? Sure. Do I want to be teleported a shooting this moment for an adrenaline rush? Hell no. I carry for my own purposes. Because when someone wants a fight, pull your shirt back so they see the gun and they back off. No force needed. If I came upon a shooting would I intervene at risk to my own life? I'd like to think so, but who knows what would happen, for all I know I'd just hide and regret doing so later.

Last edited: