Another Reason Why Kids are so Fat

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Quoted from:

http://www.exrx.net/Questions/Tag.html

Today was my 6 year old daughter's first day at school. She is in the first grade. At dinner, she told us she played a game with her friend at recess. She explained they turned it into a walking game. After I asked what she meant, she explained they were not allowed to play chasing games during recess.

After PE and recess cutbacks across the nation and in light of the national obesity epidemic, it would be preposterous to even imagine school districts banning these sorts of running games. Dodge ball has even been banned from the games children can play, even in PE class (if there lucky enough to have that). Children have been playing these sorts of games since the beginning of history.

A quick search on the internet found many schools around the country forbidding children from playing chasing games:

http://www.iowa-city.k12.ia.us/Schools/Roosevelt/files/behavior.html
http://www.eyeonthesky.org/guide/
http://www.eyeonthesky.org/guide/
http://www.iusd.k12.ca.us/mp/policies/student_expect.htm
--Does Governor Schwarzenegger's know about this?

After thinking more about this, I now remember picking up my daughter from kindergarten last year. I recall on several occasions seeing some overweight teachers yelling at kids to stop running- even if they were running a reasonable distance away from the other kids. These same teachers also kicked these kids off of the playground equipment. In all fairness though, the teachers cannot be blamed for enforcing the rules.

Safety, violence prevention, bullying and potential lawsuits from parents are the main reasons schools have instituted restrictions. See (http://www.bridges4kids.org/articles/8-04/SacBee8-22-04.html). School administrators claim chasing games are dangerous (author's note: we wouldn't want anyone to fall and scrape their knee!). It seems to me schools should just worry about violence and be happy these kids just want to run, play tag, recreate, and be physically active on school grounds. There's a difference between fighting, groping, and bullying versus bumping, tripping, or falling into someone. Kids should be taught fair play and respect, not have childhood traditions taken away from them, least of all, running games such as tag. I'm sure glad when I was a kid school administrators could stand up to some whining parent whose kid got a boo-boo on the playground. School administrators and policy makers have taken the easy road at our children's expense.

The real danger is not allowing our kids the opportunity for spontaneous and creative play. I'm sure the policy makers have their rationale, but these rules further erode opportunity for our children to receive the suggested minimum hour per day of moderate to intense physical activity. Sure, children maybe saved from a few bumps, bruise and scrapes along the way, but they will ultimately pay for these sorts of policies with their health and fitness later in life.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
kids should be wrapped in a suit of protective armor, sealed in padded room and not be allowed to move. It's the only way they'll really be safe.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I think I only had PE 5 times in all of elementary school, because the gym doubled as the lunch room and the music room.

If they banned running cames at lunch.. wow.

We used to play soccer, road hockey and kickball and basketball.

What else are kids supposed to do at lunch?

May 31, 2001
I found out that local elementary schools have now cut down P.E. to two days a week. When I was in elementary school, I had P.E. five days a week. The state government was talking about making five days a week of P.E. mandatory, but I haven't heard anything for a while on that matter, so it's probably dead.

Our gymnasium doubled as our cafeteria, yet they managed just fine. They cleaned it as soon as the kids were done eating, while lunch recess was going on.

Jan 18, 2001

uh, no doubt I would agree such a rule would be stupid beyond belief, but i don't think its as widespread as you suggest. the links you provide do not support your claim.

Feb 19, 2007
damn, in my middle school days here in canada, we had 180 minutes of gym per week

our only playground rule was no snowballs, which i thought was stupid anyways

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I played everything from Tag to Red Rover (although they banned this when a kid got trampled and cracked a rib) to Dodgeball throughout elementary school. It was fun, honest physical activity. Yes I got a minor scrape here and there, a few times I got fairly large, painful cuts and had to go to the clinic, but at the end of the day I was glad to have had some fun with my friends.

Hell, in 5th grade our teacher let us have a water balloon fight. I got nailed a few times, and it hurt, but I was fine and it's fun as hell.

I am also one of the least violent people on the planet.

If my future kid is prevented from running at recess, some school and parent is gonna have hell.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude

uh, no doubt I would agree such a rule would be stupid beyond belief, but i don't think its as widespread as you suggest. the links you provide do not support your claim.

second link:

Playground Behavior Expectations

Follow directions of the supervisors. Do not throw rocks, tanbark, or other objects.
No cursing or teasing.
Play within sight of the yard supervisors.
No food on the yard.
No chasing games.
Students must freeze at the first bell, then, walk to their lines when the whistle is blown. - ja wohl, mein Fuhrer!

You should read more.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
When I was a kid I was playing tag with some friends at recess. One friend tagged me in the eye. I had a corneal abbrasion. Hut like hell and took weeks to heal, during which I had to apply some ointment and wear and eye patch. But my parents didn't sue the school, and it didn't stop me from wanting to have fun at recess!

I know schools are worried about parents suing them, but there must be something that can be done about that... pass a law or something, I don't know. It would have really sucked to not be able to run at recess. :(

I don't know what that guy's talking about with "if you're lucky enough to have PE". I thought PE was required. :confused:

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
This is ridiculous. The school administrators who are responsible for this (along with the corresponding stupid and overreactive parents) need to be lined up against the wall and shot, then replaced with people who have some common sense.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Holy fvck people are turning more and more into wimps. We had god damn roller skates for PE when I was in grade school.

If my children can't enjoy dodgeball, I'd rather just not have kids.

Mar 9, 2005
Originally posted by: TallBill
Holy fvck people are turning more and more into wimps. We had god damn roller skates for PE when I was in grade school.

If my children can't enjoy dodgeball, I'd rather just not have kids.

Indeed. I feel bad for my future kids.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Can't do anything that might hurt the kids self-esteem. Or let the kids do anything where they might injure themselves which will result in lawsuits against the school...

I really despise the idiocy in public schools these days.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I wonder if these same parents allow their children to play sports. Now THAT would be ironic. I got more (and more serious) injuries playing soccer when I was a kid then I ever got on the playground.

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
It goes beyond just the fat problem...

Without letting hyper little kids run around and get spent, the classroom will be that much more rowdy and difficult to control. It will be very, very difficult for teachers to have them focus.

You can take man out of the cave but you can't take the cave out of man. We need to do some running and exercise regularly. Especially kids who have lots of energy--they need to expend some of it before you can grab their attention and hold it for long periods of time.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
yet another reason why america's becoming fatter every year. while the idea is nice, the problem is that kids rarely get the minimum recomended 30 minutes of exersize a day and now they get even less. i remember in my middle school (tilden MS) we had 45 minutes of PE every day. it's no wonder that there were few fat kids in the school.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Thats how my elementary years were. We got "benched" if we were caught running at all. Bench is basically like detention but served during recess or lunch. We were not allowed to have any contact play with other students. Even with basketball we were not allowed to play full court because we would have to run.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: AznAnarchy99
Thats how my elementary years were. We got "benched" if we were caught running at all. Bench is basically like detention but served during recess or lunch. We were not allowed to have any contact play with other students. Even with basketball we were not allowed to play full court because we would have to run.

That sucks. We used to play tackle football, kickball, tag in its various incarnations, et cetera. The only thing we ever got hollered at about was tackle football, and we would go back to tackle instead of touch as soon as the recess monitor was out of sight. :D

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
The kids at my daughter's school can run around. They just can't run on the actual equipment, which is unfortunate since that's the funnest place to play tag, but there's a wide range of ages at the school so it makes sense. There's a field for kickball, tag, and generally running around like a bunch of spazzes.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Flyback
It goes beyond just the fat problem...

Without letting hyper little kids run around and get spent, the classroom will be that much more rowdy and difficult to control. It will be very, very difficult for teachers to have them focus.

You can take man out of the cave but you can't take the cave out of man. We need to do some running and exercise regularly. Especially kids who have lots of energy--they need to expend some of it before you can grab their attention and hold it for long periods of time.

That's a very interesting point. Seems that there is a direct correlation between the rise of the "Ritalin Nation" and the abolishment of *real* PE classes.