Another Problem with OCing the P3V4X

TechKnight

Platinum Member
Dec 14, 1999
Hmmm... I must have bad luck or something. Any ways, I got a P3 450Mhz processor that does 600Mhz but something odd is happening. One the second night I booted the system, I got an error message regarding the Hardware Monitor. Now, I went into BIOS and check and the temperature was 108C!! I was thinking that this was impossible since I made sure the CPU heatsink and fan were working as well as the chasis fan. Anyways, I changed back to the default of 450Mhz and the voltage of 2.0V instead of the 2.20V I was using at 600Mhz and now the temperature is 78C. I still think this is high since my 667Mhz never reached past 60C. Now, when I opened up the case and observe the temp at 78C, I feel the heatsink and processor and they're not even hot, just a little bit warm. Now is the temperature messed up on my motherboard setting or what? I have a P3V4X on the other machine too and I never got high readings as this. When the temperature read 108C, I feel the back of the CPU as well as the heatsink and they're just fine and not hot at all. I hear when it's really 100C+ you can get burned by the CPU but that isn't the case here. Any suggestions? Thanks for listening!