Another Police Officer Out Of Control - Power Trip Over 14 Year Old

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
Just because they are cops does not mean they deserve respect nor must you be courteous. A cop has a job and he failed at doing it. Causing shame and putting the heat up on himself and his city because of this is an obvious mishandling of the situation.

In the end most people have a decent intuitive judgement of what is acceptable/unacceptable. Judging by the media impact, it's clearly negative.

Expanding on my first comment, Cops have power, and that is why people respect them generally. If your a friend with a police officer then you may respect them for other reasons, but a stranger's respect is determined by the badge. I don't go out and respect anyone I meet and I would doubt that everyone else does as well. What would give me respect for someone is competence/ability to do their job well.

The question for me would be, should I respect that cop? Based on his actions no. I would never respect a cop flipping out like that in a situation. If it is an isolated incident okay he had a bad day. Oh wait... it isn't from the other video.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
So you're saying, the cop has every right to tell the child to stop saying "Dude"? That's horseshit.

It's not horseshit. You don't have any rights whatsoever until you are an adult.

You can do and say whatever you like, but be prepared to suffer the consequences. Especially a child.

children actually do have rights, some even more than adults.
When the kid that stole my car was arrested, they had to take him to the hospital to be checked out even though he was obviously uninjured, because at that point juveniles are considered under the custody of the police.

What that officer did was basically assault, if I was the kids parents, after i straightened him out, I would be talking to a lawyer.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
The only thing we've learned from this thread is that Spidey has his head up his ass. I hope he gets brutalized by police.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
there are some people on ATOT who will defend cops no matter the circumstance. I wonder what kind of video it would take to have them admit to an officer's wrongdoing. Yeah, if these videos don't do it, I don't know what could.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
there are some people on ATOT who will defend cops no matter the circumstance. I wonder what kind of video it would take to have them admit to an officer's wrongdoing. Yeah, if these videos don't do it, I don't know what could.

There's only one retard on here that said what the cop did is OK, everyong else is just mentioning that it was easily avoidable. I think the kid is a retard and yet I also think the cop should lose his job.

Oct 19, 2000
jpeyton, you're really proud of yourself using the term "donut patrol" as often as you can, aren't you? How fucking old are you, anyway? :roll:

Back to the subject, the punk kid shouldn't talk back to an officer, I agreed with everything the officer said. But, he handled it completely wrong, and should've never taken the kid to the ground. It's unfortunate that this idiot kid and his parents will get money out of this.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: blurredvision
jpeyton, you're really proud of yourself using the term "donut patrol" as often as you can, aren't you? How fucking old are you, anyway? :roll:

Back to the subject, the punk kid shouldn't talk back to an officer, I agreed with everything the officer said. But, he handled it completely wrong, and should've never taken the kid to the ground. It's unfortunate that this idiot kid and his parents will get money out of this.

He's a fucking 14 year old kid. He said dude, like a lot of 14 year olds do. He said I didn't hear you. Then he asked what he did wrong. The cop was being an asshole and he was basically saying to the cop "wtf is the problem, I didn't do anything wrong" which is true. Sure, he may be skating in the wrong area, but its completely within the realm of possibilities that he didn't know. And even if he did, who gives a flying fuck. He's fucking skateboarding. I used to rollerblade down the main street in my little town even though it said 'no rollerblading' no big deal. If a cop stopped me and started telling me he was going to slap me or whatever, he can sure as hell bet I'd be a bit surprised/defensive.

The bottom line is this cop is an adult, in a position of authority and responsibility and he's dealing with a FUCKING KID. Its not some 18 year old, its someone barely old enough to be in 9th grade. Someone who hasn't even thought about driving yet, A FUCKING KID. As far as I'm concerned the only thing the kid MAY have done wrong is skated in the wrong area. He's attitude was fine. The cop is the one who needs to set an example and thats something he did not do with his ACTIONS or his WORDS.

By the way, if I didn't get my point across... there is absolutely no reason for the cop to threaten the kid. So, no what he said is not ok in my book. Not one fucking bit.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Not a cure all but IMHO all police officers should be required to have a college degree, it would weed out (most) morans like that guy.

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Not a cure all but IMHO all police officers should be required to have a college degree, it would weed out (most) morans like that guy.

I've probably met bigger powertripping assholes who have masters degrees. I don't see a distinct correlation between education and behavior.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: everman
That was an unlawful seizure, his 4th Amendment rights were violated by that cop. Not to mention possible police brutality, this can not be tolerated in our society.

Neither can punk ass kids being disrespectful.

and LOL at unlawful seizure. kids have no rights guaranteed by the constitution. none.

Sorry, but I think you've missed a little here.

I waited that entire video for the officer to present any issue with behaviour other than 'stop saying dude'. He was irrational, hostile, threatening and violent, and deserved far less respect than he got

I'm pretty sure police can't simply take things from you because you're under 18, maybe with parental permission.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Cop didn't handle situation right. Kid didn't help. Cop needs a temp vacation.