Another Police Officer Out Of Control - Power Trip Over 14 Year Old

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
"Police officers have a hard job. in this particular video, you don't see what happened before the officer took the boy down to the ground," Henry Belsky said. "Until you see the totality of what happened, one really does not know what reappy happened down there."
Actually, you do. The kids ask what they did wrong, the dude flips off about respect, then tackles him.

No, they said they weren't doing anything wrong. THAT is disrespect. It's disrespectful to an adult, it's disrespectful to an officer, it's disrespectful to anybody.

The officer was VERY clear - "I'm not your dad." Kid may get away with that crap at home but that kind of disrespect doesn't fly outside of home.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
I've never understood this stupid ass connection some people have between being disrespected and the need for violence. Grow the fuck up.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: blackllotus
I've never understood this stupid ass connection some people have between being disrespected and the need for violence. Grow the fuck up.

Maybe some officer knocked spidey07 a little too hard in the head when he was caught skateboarding as a kid :laugh:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I don't know where people saw vandalizm or even the kids riding the skateboards here. The cop right from the start made this situation what it was.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
If anyone on this forum calls me dude I have the right to assualt you, the cop was wrong and deserved to be suspened. Hell he should even have charges brought against him. You cant put your hands on someone just cause you dont like the way they treat you verbally.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: WaTaGuMp
If anyone on this forum calls me dude I have the right to assualt you, the cop was wrong and deserved to be suspened. Hell he should even have charges brought against him. You cant put your hands on someone just cause you dont like the way they treat you verbally.

Well honestly there's a fine line. You start calling a cop a fucker, you've drawn the line. You start talking about their mother being good in bed, you've drawn the line. Calling a cop dude, is not drawing the line.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal

Well honestly there's a fine line. You start calling a cop a fucker, you've drawn the line. You start talking about their mother being good in bed, you've drawn the line. Calling a cop dude, is not drawing the line.

It is not against the law to call cops names, just as its not against the law to call someone else a fucker etc etc. The cop who is supposed to uphold the law broke it. The kid was not under arrest, the cops life was not endanger so putting his hands on the kid was assault.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal

You are why america, is not really free anymore. Do you realize you are trusting yourself to what amounts to a flunky 9 times out of 10.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: NFS4
Totally uncalled for.

Agreed. I can understand the cop doing his job, but he sounded like someone off the street corner. And I didn't know an officer can put his hands on a person unless he is making an arrest.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: spidey07
"Police officers have a hard job. in this particular video, you don't see what happened before the officer took the boy down to the ground," Henry Belsky said. "Until you see the totality of what happened, one really does not know what reappy happened down there."
Actually, you do. The kids ask what they did wrong, the dude flips off about respect, then tackles him.

No, they said they weren't doing anything wrong. THAT is disrespect. It's disrespectful to an adult, it's disrespectful to an officer, it's disrespectful to anybody.

The officer was VERY clear - "I'm not your dad." Kid may get away with that crap at home but that kind of disrespect doesn't fly outside of home.
It seems as if you're confusing questioning authority with disrespecting authority.

Using the common term "dude" is also NOT disrespectful, in and of itself. And certainly wasn't in this case.
When the kid ASKS what the problem was, that was the cops cue to lay out the legal / civil issues he has with this kid and be done with it. NO, he goes off into "irate Dad" mode, all the while saying"I'm not your Dad..."

What is obvious is that this pig doesn't have the requisite control of his emotions to do the job effectively.

He needs to be fired. There are plenty of other suitable candidates out there.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
Originally posted by: spidey07

It seems as if you're confusing questioning authority with disrespecting authority.

Using the common term "dude" is also NOT disrespectful, in and of itself. And certainly wasn't in this case.
When the kid ASKS what the problem was, that was the cops cue to lay out the legal / civil issues he has with this kid and be done with it. NO, he goes off into "irate Dad" mode, all the while saying"I'm not your Dad..."

What is obvious is that this pig doesn't have the requisite control of his emotions to do the job effectively.

He needs to be fired. There are plenty of other suitable candidates out there.

just because it is a common term does not make it disrespectful. The term "dude" is disrespectful and discourteous. The kid does not have respect the cop. but he should be showing adults courtesy (seems to many get the two confused).

BUT saying that the cop was over the line. he handled it very badly.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
It seems to me like skateboarders go looking for trouble. They always seem to have a video camera along to take video with.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
It seems to me like skateboarders go looking for trouble. They always seem to have a video camera along to take video with.

i see what you did there...

*tap sarcasm meter - pegs out at 5.5 bajillion*

well played sir

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy

just because it is a common term does not make it disrespectful. The term "dude" is disrespectful and discourteous. The kid does not have respect the cop. but he should be showing adults courtesy (seems to many get the two confused).

I disagree. Perhaps there may be a contextual aspect as to tone and conversation prior, but within a certain demographic, it is a catch-all term most often used within a certain social subgroup, i.e surfers / West Coast / Californians.

I'm 50 and I still use it. If you think I'm being disrespectful whenever I use it, that is entirely your problem,

....Wait for it.....

dude.

Disrespect only comes when I add the modifier, "A$$HOLE !" as a suffix.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: AlienCraft

I disagree. Perhaps there may be a contextual aspect as to tone and conversation prior, but within a certain demographic, it is a catch-all term most often used within a certain social subgroup, i.e surfers / West Coast / Californians.

I'm 50 and I still use it. If you think I'm being disrespectful whenever I use it, that is entirely your problem,

....Wait for it.....

dude.

Disrespect only comes when I add the modifier, "A$$HOLE !" as a suffix.

sad part is you are 50 and do not understand common courtesy.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004

sad part is you are 50 and do not understand common courtesy.

sad part is that you some how think that your connotation of the word is the one and only true interpretation. It's unfortunate that you attach all of your impressions from the words and not their intent.

btw, as with most words there are at least four definitions. here are just two:

2. Slang. fellow; chap.
3. a person reared in a large city.

the other two definitions don't really apply to this situation because a) the kid was not on a ranch, and b) it's not the early half of the 20th century.

edit: pretty funny that the cop had the same issue, and it turns out he was completely wrong about the definition. A dude does not, in fact, work on a ranch. even in the denotation he was searching for, a dude would only visit one.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Wow. That is one pathetic excuse for a cop. Someone needs to strip him naked and beat him with a baseball bat.