Another Police Officer Out Of Control - Power Trip Over 14 Year Old

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Jawo
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: spidey07
There are consequences to ones actions, the cop taught these kids that.
:laugh: Please tell us what "consequences" Officer Rivieri taught these kids?

Last time I checked, the kid wasn't in any legal trouble over the incident, and stands to make a pretty penny settling with the B-more PD.

Damn, I wish I had officers in my area teach me those kinds of "consequences"! ;)

Yup...the cop crossed the line by tackling the kid to the ground. All the cop had to say was no skateboarding allowed, or confiscate the skateboard. a 3 minute conversation (taped) should have lasted 30 seconds. At most.

"Give me that skateboard"
Kid resists...
"Dude man"
Kid goes down...
"Dude"

So yeah, he did try and confiscate it...the kid didn't give it up.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
The cop crossed the line when he tackled the kid. If it's escalated to the point of tackling, there should be an arrest. Otherwise it's just a cop being a bully. He's getting what he deserved, end of story.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Stallowned! Awesome!

Fire his fat ass.

Message to young skateboarders: you have rights, and please carry some kind of video recording device with you.

and dont deface public/ private property, negating the need for a video recording device. i used to skate all the time at ASU when i was younger, as well as all through downtown tempe and other public places. sometimes we got chased out, sometimes we didnt.

this cop definitely seemed pissed about having to wear that uniform and drive that car tho lol.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: child of wonder
If that was my kid I'd first toss his skateboard in the trash and tell him to stop riding it around on public sidewalks then I'd demand the PD and officer apologize for throwing my kid to the ground.

The kids shouldn't have been boarding there and the cop didn't need to go on a power trip like that. He certainly didn't need to get physical with a scrawny 14 year old with diabetes.

not like he was wearing a "dont toss me around, i have diabetes" shirt... and the cop tried to take the board from him, and the kid hugged the board. sure, he may have been in the wrong for trying to take the board, but the kid didnt do much on his side to ease the situation. once he made the decision to take the board, he was committed. the kid refusing to let it go is what caused his visit to the sidewalk.

im not condoning the cops actions or behavior, but im not going to say the kid was in the right. this may have been the 4th place in the same general area that cop told these kids to stop skating in. it also may have been them grinding the steps while people were trying to walk around them, causing a public "fervor". either way, these kids learned the golden rule of public city skating that my friends and i learned also... if the cops come over, take off. i also couldnt stop hearing the "hey dude, dont call me dude!" song in my head.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
If the skaters would quit ruining public property then they wouldn't have to chase them off like that.

I skated for over a decade and faced this stuff all the time. Goes with the territory.

How do they ruin public property?
Im not a skater, but I do sometimes see skater's haning out and skating outside at the mall, or in a public place like the harbor in Baltimore. Any they always keep to themselves, and don't bother anyone.

we broke many public benches, tree stands and other things doing tricks off of them. we also destroyed (not really intentionally) painted curbs, decorative facades in front of stores and stuff like that. some skaters paint graffiti, some break stuff just to break it. but, in their defense, other non skater kids do the same thing on occasion. when you skate in public, theres also the chance of hitting/ hurting people that are around you, which has happened to a friend of mine. he tried a trick and failed miserably, shot his board down the sidewalk a ways and hit a lady. of course she called the cops and gave a good description of us, so we were all picked up and questioned for it. he ended up getting charged with assault and plead it down with only probation, but it could have been a lot worse. for him and that lady, if it had hit her in a sensitive area and caused real damage.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
What the cop did was completely correct and hopefully this punks will learn something from this. No, means NO.
What the cop did was earn himself (and his department) a boatload of negative exposure on a national level. Watch Good Morning America tomorrow ;)

And the punks learned that a video plus YouTube plus the internet equals power. Ten years ago, nothing would have happened to this guy. Now he's suspended without pay and a scumbag known by millions.

Who cares, he did the right thing. Punk kids had it coming.

As I already said this happens all the time when you're a skater. The smart ones just bolt, the dumb ones sit there and mouth off.

so being a coward is the way you roll?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst
What the cop did was completely correct and hopefully this punks will learn something from this. No, means NO.
What the cop did was earn himself (and his department) a boatload of negative exposure on a national level. Watch Good Morning America tomorrow ;)

And the punks learned that a video plus YouTube plus the internet equals power. Ten years ago, nothing would have happened to this guy. Now he's suspended without pay and a scumbag known by millions.

Who cares, he did the right thing. Punk kids had it coming.

As I already said this happens all the time when you're a skater. The smart ones just bolt, the dumb ones sit there and mouth off.

so being a coward is the way you roll?

no, not getting caught when I know I'm doing something wrong is just common sense.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
That cop was outta line. No doubt about it. Just another ass on a power trip, come on they are 14 yrs old...yea they were doing something illegal but no need to get physical. Call their parents and make the parents know that they cannot be skating there or next time its an arrest. It's happened to me in a similar situation when I was that age and that's what the cop did. Probably won't happen again.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
"Those damn kids skating on the sidewalks!" :D

But seriously, even if this was out of context (none of us know what prefaced this), I think the cop went a little too far and didn't need to get physical. He could of give him a good stern talking to, but no need to throw him on the ground.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: paulxcook
The cop crossed the line when he tackled the kid. If it's escalated to the point of tackling, there should be an arrest. Otherwise it's just a cop being a bully. He's getting what he deserved, end of story.

he didnt tackle the kid.

you fail.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Stallowned! Awesome!

Fire his fat ass.

Message to young skateboarders: you have rights, and please carry some kind of video recording device with you.

Not on public property when you're vandalizing it you don't. What the cop did was completely correct and hopefully this punks will learn something from this. No, means NO.

Sorry man, but thats a fucking ridicktile point of view. Let the cops fucking go after real criminals, not kids skateboarding or playing football or whatever the fuck it is kids do.

There was ABSOLUTELY no reason for that jackass cop to throw that kid to the ground multiple times. I hope he loses his job.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Stallowned! Awesome!

Fire his fat ass.

Not on public property when you're vandalizing it you don't. What the cop did was completely correct and hopefully this punks will learn something from this. No, means NO.

Sorry man, but thats a fucking ridicktile point of view. Let the cops fucking go after real criminals, not kids skateboarding or playing football or whatever the fuck it is kids do.

There was ABSOLUTELY no reason for that jackass cop to throw that kid to the ground multiple times. I hope he loses his job.

as a ex business owner. i do not want kids skating on my property. not just for them breaking stuff but because i could be liable for them getting hurt.

they do break stuff. they do vandalize etc.

i do agree the cop shouldnt have put his hands on him. but the kids shouldnt have been on private property

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: CasioTech
he didn't mouth off, he's a damn 100lb kid. You don't threaten someone or do that PERIOD. What if that was your kid or younger brother, would it be 'the right thing' then?

Absolutely. That kind of disrespect is unacceptable. You don't mouth off to an adult like that, let alone a police officer.

Seriously, I've had my board taken by cops at LEAST 3 dozen times when I skated. We normally got what we got because some punk ass kid starting mouthing off (sometimes I was one of them). We knew we weren't supposed to be there and if a cop showed up mouthing off or being a smart ass normally led to the consequences.

Please don't procreate and poison our gene pool.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Phokus
he didn't mouth off, he's a damn 100lb kid. You don't threaten someone or do that PERIOD. What if that was your kid or younger brother, would it be 'the right thing' then?

Absolutely. That kind of disrespect is unacceptable. You don't mouth off to an adult like that, let alone a police officer.

Seriously, I've had my board taken by cops at LEAST 3 dozen times when I skated. We normally got what we got because some punk ass kid starting mouthing off (sometimes I was one of them). We knew we weren't supposed to be there and if a cop showed up mouthing off or being a smart ass normally led to the consequences.

Whats so bad about what he said?

I grew up in Korea, and over there, my friends and I got our asses handed to us by Security and Police when we acted stupidly. Once, we were playing around traffic, and some Police Officer, Grabbed us, smacked us, and started yelling at us about how dumb we were. Scary as all hell, but it set us Straight.

Even in school, when we were late, we took beatings from the Security guard out front. Convinced us mighty quickly to never be late to School.

In all reality, Physical Punishment is helpful is really keeping people straight.

I'm going to be flamed to all hell for this.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
Originally posted by: Phokus

Whats so bad about what he said?

I grew up in Korea, and over there, my friends and I got our asses handed to us by Security and Police when we acted stupidly. Once, we were playing around traffic, and some Police Officer, Grabbed us, smacked us, and started yelling at us about how dumb we were. Scary as all hell, but it set us Straight.

Even in school, when we were late, we took beatings from the Security guard out front. Convinced us mighty quickly to never be late to School.

In all reality, Physical Punishment is helpful is really keeping people straight.

I'm going to be flamed to all hell for this.

Because he ironically noted the "consequences of ones actions" only for the kids, but not for the cop who is suspended and being investigated. And i don't care what authorities do in Korea, you don't do that here in America.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Notice at the beginning one of the kid's friends says "Yea, I tried to tell him but he had his earphones in" implying that the cop had asked him to stop before.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yes the kids shouldn't have been on private property and they shouldn't have been mouthing off......DUH......but he should not have yelled at them like that, cursed at them, and threw that kid to the ground like that. He is a cop and needs to act like one. Just give them the ticket and move along. He probably just lost his job over some "punk" skateboarders. Oh and I don't see "Punk" skateboarders tagging everywhere, usually those young "gang members" that do it in bathrooms/walls and such.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
That was an unlawful seizure, his 4th Amendment rights were violated by that cop. Not to mention possible police brutality, this can not be tolerated in our society.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: everman
That was an unlawful seizure, his 4th Amendment rights were violated by that cop. Not to mention possible police brutality, this can not be tolerated in our society.

Neither can punk ass kids being disrespectful.

and LOL at unlawful seizure. kids have no rights guaranteed by the constitution. none.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
"Police officers have a hard job. in this particular video, you don't see what happened before the officer took the boy down to the ground," Henry Belsky said. "Until you see the totality of what happened, one really does not know what reappy happened down there."
Actually, you do. The kids ask what they did wrong, the dude flips off about respect, then tackles him.

Neither can punk ass kids being disrespectful.

and LOL at unlawful seizure. kids have no rights guaranteed by the constitution. none.
You really need to clear that sand out of your vagina. The kids didn't do anything wrong - they're 14 and didn't understand why the guy was yelling at them. It sounds like he didn't even tell them that they weren't allowed to skateboard there.

The cop was probably mostly pissed because was driving a damn Smart Car and wearing a bright yellow jumpsuit.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
I think all cops should be required to have at least 4" dicks, just so this kind of stuff doesn't happen. :laugh: