Another National Enquirer affair story

Oct 16, 1999
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...es-natio_n_123696.html

John McCain's presidential campaign is threatening a lawsuit against the National Enquirer over a print edition story the tabloid ran today alleging that Gov. Sarah Palin has had an extramarital affair with her husband's business partner.

The allegation would normally be dismissed by political observers as the random musings of a supermarket tabloid -- indeed, the McCain campaign said as much in its statements on Wednesday -- except that the paper has built up a reservoir of legitimacy following its earlier reporting on the John Edwards affair.

In a statement to the Huffington Post, a spokesman for the paper, who promised a larger report next week, tapped into that pool of quasi-respect.

"The National Enquirer's coverage of a vicious war within Sarah Palin's extended family includes several newsworthy revelations, including the resulting incredible charge of an affair plus details of family strife when the Governor's daughter revealed her pregnancy. Following our John Edwards' exclusives, our political reporting has obviously proven to be more detail-oriented than the McCain campaign's vetting process. Despite the McCain camp's attempts to control press coverage they find unfavorable, The Enquirer will continue to pursue news on both sides of the political spectrum."

I know, like this forum needs another Palin thread. If this turns out to be true and verifiable maybe this will put an end to any more Palin threads for good. If this gains traction and turns out to be baseless, or at least unprovable, it will probably throw enough support in Palin's direction that we will be seeing a lot of her over the next four years. True or not I'm not sure how I feel about McCain threatening legal action over it.

Feb 10, 2000
Bwahahahaha! That would be hilarious - the two-philanderer ticket (kind of like the Bush/Cheney 3-DUI ticket).

I will reserve judgment on this until it receives verification, but the Enquirer actually has a pretty good track record when it comes to these kinds of major stories.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
So who got the better end of the deal, Palin's husband or her husband's business partner?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Following our John Edwards' exclusives, our political reporting has obviously proven to be more detail-oriented than the McCain campaign's vetting process.

LMFAO!

Seriously, The National Enquirer got lucky with Edwards. However, as much as I would get a kick out the story if this were true, I'm not holding my breath.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: NFS4
Following our John Edwards' exclusives, our political reporting has obviously proven to be more detail-oriented than the McCain campaign's vetting process.

LMFAO!

Seriously, The National Enquirer got lucky with Edwards. However, as much as I would get a kick out the story if this were true, I'm not holding my breath.

I think it was Rush that said that these stories are more often true than not

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
I think the Enquirer introduced the Obama / Ayers connection ...

and now that's part of the Republican talking points memo

Not to mention the Edwards affair stuff

So, we'll see ...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm just waiting for all the people who talked about how right the National Enquirer is to come out and start trashing it.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
I love this woman, Bush cocaine stories suck compared to this kind of stuff :)

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Thumbs up for the free press. I'm glad the bloggers and the Enquirer are vetting the candidates. The NY Times lost credibility when it failed to let the American people know that the Iraq war was bogus.

(Mods: This is a separate Palin issue so please don't lock or merge it.)

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As someone who demands the truth, I advocate an open mind and innocent until proven guilty. Somehow, I do not want my country run by the journalistic standards of the National Inquirer.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
The next thing is for a Sex video to come out and be featured on Bookworm B!tches

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Infohawk
Thumbs up for the free press. I'm glad the bloggers and the Enquirer are vetting the candidates. The NY Times lost credibility when it failed to let the American people know that the Iraq war was bogus.

(Mods: This is a separate Palin issue so please don't lock or merge it.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the defense of the mods, they did not lock the first post of a recent new Palin revelation, but they did lock the second same issue thread as extraneous, and in a
who published first order.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
It seems that only today we had a long talk about how the MSM ignored the Edwards affair story that the National Enquirer published last October.

A bunch of people on here made excuses on why papers like the NY Times did nothing to look into the story themselves.

But all of a sudden the Enquirer says something about a Republican and everyone is jumping on the story like it is the absolute truth. Amazing how that happened.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
It seems that only today we had a long talk about how the MSM ignored the Edwards affair story that the National Enquirer published last October.

A bunch of people on here made excuses on why papers like the NY Times did nothing to look into the story themselves.

But all of a sudden the Enquirer says something about a Republican and everyone is jumping on the story like it is the absolute truth. Amazing how that happened.

Do you have any real evidence that the "MSM" ignored the Edwards story? It was big news. It would probably be bigger news if Edwards were the vice-presidential candidate. But he's not.