Another midseason NBA poll: who will be MVP?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Wow, this is the first I've heard of Lebron's inability to carry the Cavs in last year's playoffs. :Q Because he couldn't overcome the double and triple team swarming of the Spurs is hardly an insult, particularly with his teammates not being able to overcome single teaming.

Anyhow, its a pissing contest to say why Kobe deserves mvp over LB and CP3 based on this years play, they all are outstanding choices. Kobe however is WAY overdue. He's also a staple on the defensive 1st team list every year, and a given for this year's team.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
I voted for KG considering he is the obvious choice with all that has changed in boston this year. I am pretty sure they will vote KG in as the MVP barring something crazy happening.

Kobe would be a close second, but there is one interesting thing that they were talking about on PTI yesterday. They were talking about how Big Men make Kobe better and not the way people think with Kobe making big men better. Kobe can definitely carry a team on his shoulders tho. I am amazed at the shots that he makes.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: cheezy321
I voted for KG considering he is the obvious choice with all that has changed in boston this year. I am pretty sure they will vote KG in as the MVP barring something crazy happening.

Kobe would be a close second, but there is one interesting thing that they were talking about on PTI yesterday. They were talking about how Big Men make Kobe better and not the way people think with Kobe making big men better. Kobe can definitely carry a team on his shoulders tho. I am amazed at the shots that he makes.

I don't think KG is the odds on favorite, far from it really. The team played well when he was out. If anything Ray Allen is more valuable to that team at this point. Kobe is the favorite right now, especially after the performance he hung on the Suns the other night on national TV.

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004

I just can't vote for Garnett, with the all star cast he has surrounding him. The C's are 5-2 without him. The Cavs haven't won without Lebron, and they would miss the playoffs (in the Eastern Conference, lol). The Laker would fall out of the playoffs so quickly they wouldn't know what hit them if Kobe had NEEDED surgery. CP, I haven't watched a lot of.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000

So they are saying Andrew Bynum makes Kobe better than Kobe makes Andrew Bynum.......lol. Seriously, you don't see atleast a little crack involved in that one? ;)

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Quality players surrounding him make Kobe better because he doesn't have to do it all. The past few seasons Kobe was expected to be the leading scorer, the facilitator, the defensive stopper, the team leader, and the guy that hit shots down the stretch. Now that he is able to lean on other players for some of those duties, he is more efficient.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'll vote LBJ because I hate Kobe, though I'd absolutely love it if Paul won.

KT

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
Originally posted by: jjsole

So they are saying Andrew Bynum makes Kobe better than Kobe makes Andrew Bynum.......lol. Seriously, you don't see atleast a little crack involved in that one? ;)

I am not saying that exactly, but look what happened once Gasol came. A lot of people dropped their doubles on Kobe and then he blows them away. They have to focus on more than one person

Look at the difference between last year's Bynum and this years Bynum. Last year nobody cared to double team him because he wasnt dangerous. All they would have to focus on is Kobe.

I wouldn't say big men make kobe better, but having a good big man on the team makes kobe better simply because all of the focus is taken off of him.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000

I am not saying that exactly, but look what happened once Gasol came. A lot of people dropped their doubles on Kobe and then he blows them away. They have to focus on more than one person

Look at the difference between last year's Bynum and this years Bynum. Last year nobody cared to double team him because he wasnt dangerous. All they would have to focus on is Kobe.

I wouldn't say big men make kobe better, but having a good big man on the team makes kobe better simply because all of the focus is taken off of him.

That's basic basketball, and why the Lakers are considered a title contender now and not just a playoff team. Its about time he's got legitimate support because the upside has been limited so long. I don't see how that possibly can reflect negatively on Kobe...he makes them a winner, support or no support.

KG couldn't even get the Twolves out of the first round for what, 4 or 5 years? And finally now he's kicking @ss...with 2 perennial allstars next to him.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

That's basic basketball, and why the Lakers are considered a title contender now and not just a playoff team. Its about time he's got legitimate support because the upside has been limited so long. I don't see how that possibly can reflect negatively on Kobe...he makes them a winner, support or no support.

What gets me is the criteria for MVP keeps changing. The past two seasons when Kobe was literally carrying a collection of nobodies into the playoffs in the west, the knock was that he was selfish and not a team player. When you're passing to the Kwame Brown's, Smush Parkers and Shammond Williams of the world, how can anyone knock you for trying to do it on your own? The fact that he got those teams into the playoffs is amazing to me. Now he's got the team he needs to compete, and they are rolling, and the knock is that he now has too much talent around him to give him the MVP. People need to make up their minds.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: trmiv

What gets me is the criteria for MVP keeps changing. The past two seasons when Kobe was literally carrying a collection of nobodies into the playoffs in the west, the knock was that he was selfish and not a team player. When you're passing to the Kwame Brown's, Smush Parkers and Shammond Williams of the world, how can anyone knock you for trying to do it on your own? The fact that he got those teams into the playoffs is amazing to me. Now he's got the team he needs to compete, and they are rolling, and the knock is that he now has too much talent around him to give him the MVP. People need to make up their minds.

I think it has to do with his baggage and occassional spouts of immaturity imo, nothing else. They said he takes too many shots and is selfish...now he has more support and he's only taking 20 shots a game, and they say he's contributing less. :confused:

This is the year to cut the BS on Kobe...everyone says he's the best player in the league (including Lebron)...now its time for everyone to stfu and pay him his dues. It would probably be the hardest earned first-time MVP in the history of the league.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Here's the bottom line.

If you remove Lebron, can the Cavs win? I'm not talking about playoff series or getting to the championship round. Can they flat out win w/o Lebron?
Why did they get 4 additional players to help Lebron?

Ask yourself the same question for the Lakers. They would be nothing w/o Kobe. He has Gasol now so they're a much more dangerous team. I dont think anyone is afraid to play the Cavs.

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: LuckyTaxi
Here's the bottom line.

If you remove Lebron, can the Cavs win? I'm not talking about playoff series or getting to the championship round. Can they flat out win w/o Lebron?

Ask yourself the same question for the Lakers. They would be nothing w/o Kobe. He has Gasol now so they're a much more dangerous team. I dont think anyone is afraid to play the Cavs.

Too bad they don't usually pick the MVP that way, as they should :\

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Here's the bottom line.

If the cavs were in the west, I don't think nearly as many who now favor Lebron would give him the nod over Kobe because the Cavs (30-24) wouldn't even be a .500 team.

Sure the cavs can't win without Lebron, but they aren't dominating with him by any stretch of the imagination either, even with most games against the *shameful* east.

The lakers are an insane 37-17, and 9-1 in their last 10, most of those w/o Bynum, and 9 of those 10 were on the road.

And their only 5 games behind Boston as well.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Kobe and here's why.

You remove Kobe from the Lakers and they wouldnt be tied for the best record in the West. The same could be said for Chris paul and lebron but Kobe just takes it to another level. He can carry his team by himself. You seen Lebron falter in the playoff last year and I doubt CP will get any consideration considering the team he's playing for. It'll be between Kobe and Lebron.

As much as I love KG, I think the Celtics are holding it down w/o him.

The team whose been flirting with the best record in the Western Conference this year :confused:

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Syringer
Kobe and here's why.

You remove Kobe from the Lakers and they wouldnt be tied for the best record in the West. The same could be said for Chris paul and lebron but Kobe just takes it to another level. He can carry his team by himself. You seen Lebron falter in the playoff last year and I doubt CP will get any consideration considering the team he's playing for. It'll be between Kobe and Lebron.

The team whose been flirting with the best record in the Western Conference this year :confused:

Maybe he's got the whole season on tivo and hasn't watched it yet. Ever think of that? Way to spoil it for him!!!!

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Wow...this is one of the very few times where this has become a very solid discussion about the MVP, and I agree with a lot of posters here.

Kobe is waay overdue and should win deservingly. I agree that the players and coaches should be added into the voting of the MVP.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Kobe and here's why.

yea but who watches the Hornets play?

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Kobe and here's why.

It's not the all star game here, fans don't do the voting. People who work in the league for a living study him..

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Kobe and here's why.

It's not the all star game here, fans don't do the voting. People who work in the league for a living study him..

MVP's are voted on by a pool of writers and that's why the results are sometimes ridiculous and biased, and why players with baggage like kobe easily get slighted.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Kobe and here's why.

right but they're going to give it to the "popular" player anyways.

GrantMeThePower

Platinum Member
Jun 10, 2005
It has to be between Kobe and Chris Paul.

the fact is that Lebron, and its not his fault, plays in the East. And his team isn't even in the top three spots in the east. Right now CP3's hornets are first in the west and Kobe's Lakers are 2nd place. You take either of those guys off their teams and no way are they even in the playoffs. Lebron is a great, great talent that will win MVP's, but he isn't the MVP of the league yet. For Lebron to have it, he needs to get the cavs to at least the 2nd spot in the east.