Another mega church pastor defends his riches

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Must be sweet being able to shelter all that wealth from the IRS, while now also able to lobby politically for the party that fights to shelter that wealth. PT Barnum said it best...sucker born every minute. Barnum had the wrong business model though.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
must be one of those prosperity preachers, prosperity for him that is.

doesn't look like he's hurting for food either.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
must be one of those prosperity preachers, prosperity for him that is.

doesn't look like he's hurting for food either.

I don't know this guy, but wife is saying he bought the Lambo with proceeds from music business. Pastor also denies he's a prosperity preacher (yet he's affiliated with Osteen so I'm dubious.) But if he bought a fancy car with proceeds from his business (not church money) then more power to him.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Sounds like someone knew of the only way to be both very rich and also legally avoid paying taxes.
Actually, not that much of a surprise. And I'm sure he's not the first to think of the idea.
All it takes is a few hail Mary's, some followers and a satellite dish, plus really really nice hair.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Its not unbiblical to be wealthy.

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Matthew 6:24

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Matthew 6:24
The mammon is serving the preacher and he ain't serving none of it to nobody so it's all good.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
speedy pastor said:
“Not a nickel, not a penny from this church, Relentless Church, went toward the gift that I gave my wife. That matters. That’s the only thing that matters"

So err, where did the money come from?

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
You should probably read the Bible before making these statements. Both Jesus and God himself talk about this topic.

Since you don't feel like simply googling "Jesus Money" I did it for you, you're welcome.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/money-bible-verses/

I do read the Bible, and he's right. It's not unbiblical to be wealthy. Nowhere in the Bible does it state that it's a sin to be wealthy. What the Bible does talk about extensively though, and that's what the verses you linked are referring to, is pursuing the money for the sake of loving money. Jesus never stated you can't be wealthy. He stated that you can't serve two masters. There's a big, big difference between those two statements. You really have to understand the context as to what is going on in those passages, because the people he told to give away all of their possessions were slaves to their wealth.

I mean, let's look at this. Example time. Why would God give Solomon unfathomable wealth if being wealthy was a sin?

2 Chronicles 1:11-12 - 11 God said to Solomon, “Because your greatest desire is to help your people, and you did not ask for wealth, riches, fame, or even the death of your enemies or a long life, but rather you asked for wisdom and knowledge to properly govern my people— 12 I will certainly give you the wisdom and knowledge you requested. But I will also give you wealth, riches, and fame such as no other king has had before you or will ever have in the future!”

Because it's not. God saw that Solomon was not a slave to his own wealth (and understand that Solomon was King David's son, so he was born into considerable wealth already). So, God blessed him with wealth beyond his imagination. This is an extremely important principle in biblical teaching; wealth follows wisdom and discernment.

So regarding this pastor purchasing a $200k Lambo for his wife? I don't know his specific circumstances regarding his heart and his wealth, but if he earned that money through true biblical principles, then more power to him.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You claimed ignorance. Maybe review what churches he's associated with and what they do.

See this, where gray describes his rationale, which goes against biblical principles

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/l...-profile-pastors/ar-AAv7Ca7#image=AAv7Ca7_3|1

"I understand why and how people get there, but I think they should be very cautious to understand that if the individuals that are serving are honorable and they are committed to serving, if they have saved their money and want to do something nice for their spouse or they want to live in a home, you've got one life," Gray said

1st John 2:15+16

"Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father[a] is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world."

Clearly, his love for wordly possessions is strong.

You've got one life? Hm, guess eternity in heaven isn't that big of a deal.

We can surely disagree. I was raised in church, I know their hypocrisy well.

Here's another list of passages regarding material things.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm sure, just like Joel, he takes no salary from the church. But he lives in the church's mansion rent free.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
i mean its only a 200k lambo. Any car enthusiast making 6 figures could own one if they are committed.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
its basically a porsche cayenne with some heavy modifications (same engine).