ANOTHER Massive Marijuana Bust by Dallas DEA

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Nebor

Makes me feel safe to know Dallas DEA is working hard to keep dangerous drugs off the streets of Dallas. :thumbsup:

What does this have to do with MJ growers?

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Damn, after all these busts in Texas, a bag of weed is going to go up in price by a whole penny. Damn that billion dollar drug war!!

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
Cool, they'll be able to make some of those delicious ganga-brownies for the whole department! :D

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I've noticed that many of you don't take the war on drugs seriously. You realize the budget for it has been in excess of 7 billion dollars a year since the early 90s, right?

Jun 27, 2005
I've noticed that many of you don't take the war on drugs seriously. You realize the budget for it has been in excess of 7 billion dollars a year since the early 90s, right?

$7,000,000,000 / $3,000,000,000,000 = 0.2%

In the grand scheme of things...

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

That's the spirit. :)

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

That's the spirit. :)

If I had more ambition I'd find something just as stupid that we spend a greater percentage on. But it's late, I've had a few beers, and I just don't care. :p

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

No, but please continue telling me why I should take something seriously just because we spend a crapload of money on it. Because it seems to me that the amount of money we spend on something should be driven by how much of a problem it is, and not the other way around.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

I just sit here smilin', sittin on that sack of seeds.

Feb 10, 2000

That actually minimizes the real cost, in that it doesn't include the crushing expense of imprisoning all the people prosecuted in the "War on Drugs." The total cost is split between the states and the federal government, and it's VASTLY higher than $7B/year. Regardless, cocaine is cheaper today than it was 25 years ago - how many things can you say that about?

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: DonVito

That actually minimizes the real cost, in that it doesn't include the crushing expense of imprisoning all the people prosecuted in the "War on Drugs." The total cost is split between the states and the federal government, and it's VASTLY higher than $7B/year. Regardless, cocaine is cheaper today than it was 25 years ago - how many things can you say that about?

Lower cost, and better quality.

At least there are some cops out there who are realizing how many lives they've ruined over petty drug charges.

http://www.leap.cc/cms/index.php

And one of the nations top drug busters has changed his stance. After sticking thousands of people in jail, and ruining lives, he now makes videos showing you how to transport drugs without getting caught.

http://www.nevergetbusted.com/index.php

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Yep, we should decriminalize drugs, and triple the sentencing for violent offenders. Free the cops up to actually take care of the most dangerous members of society, not chasing their tails with silly dopeheads.

Feb 6, 2007
Yup, the kid sitting in his basement stoned off his ass is as big a threat to this country as the guy robbing the liquor store... or so it would seem, based on sentences for nonviolent drug offenses.

Legalize it, tax it, and watch that 7bn change from red to black.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Two articles on sentencing today in our local paper. First one, a man - criminal sexual assault, gets 20 years (he was on probation for aggravated battery of a woman). Second one, a woman, 1500 ecstasy pills. She gets 40 years for drug trafficking, first offense. Same county, same state.

Our justice system is whack. Edit: Strike that - our laws are whack!

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: alchemize
Two articles on sentencing today in our local paper. First one, a man - criminal sexual assault, gets 20 years (he was on probation for aggravated battery of a woman). Second one, a woman, 1500 ecstasy pills. She gets 40 years for drug trafficking, first offense. Same county, same state.

Ayup. The problem is that it's hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube once states enact very strict drug laws, since not many legislators have the balls to be "soft on drugs." Actually my mother is the Executive Director of our state's Criminal Sentencing Guidelines Commission, and since we have the strictest drug laws in the country, my hope is that she can help persuade the legislature to back off somewhat.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: DonVito
Originally posted by: alchemize

Ayup. The problem is that it's hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube once states enact very strict drug laws, since not many legislators have the balls to be "soft on drugs." Actually my mother is the Executive Director of our state's Criminal Sentencing Guidelines Commission, and since we have the strictest drug laws in the country, my hope is that she can help persuade the legislature to back off somewhat.

Yeah, most states have much stricter drug laws than the Federal government. SOP at Dallas DEA was to turn most smaller busts over to local law enforcement for stricter penalties. Only big "get your name in the paper" cases like this one were run through the US Attorney.

Feb 10, 2000

Yeah, most states have much stricter drug laws than the Federal government. SOP at Dallas DEA was to turn most smaller busts over to local law enforcement for stricter penalties. Only big "get your name in the paper" cases like this one were run through the US Attorney.

That wasn't true fairly recently. Actually I interned at the US Attorney's Office here in Minneapolis when I was in law school (this was in 1996), and at the time the local cops would always try to get us to take their drug cases, since the federal laws were always harsher than their state equivalents - now the opposite is true, and our drug sentencing laws are not only much harsher than those in Texas, but harsher than the federal guidelines.