Another Mass shooting. This time in Dayton Ohio. One day after the El Paso massacre

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Trump calls for unity and condemns racism. Simple enough message. But, the radical tyrannical leftists threw a fit and the fake news media fell in line. Why publish a headline about unity and rejecting hate, the actual theme of Trump's speech, when leftists can further divide us? Amirite?

Disgusting what liberals have become today.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...-radical-left-democrats-went-absolutely-crazy
LOL @ his claim for unity. This tweet sums it up perfectly.

Reactions: jman19

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Trump calls for unity and condemns racism. Simple enough message. But, the radical tyrannical leftists threw a fit and the fake news media fell in line. Why publish a headline about unity and rejecting hate, the actual theme of Trump's speech, when leftists can further divide us? Amirite?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...-radical-left-democrats-went-absolutely-crazy
Where was the passion in his remarks? You know the passion he displays when he's at a rally or giving his chopper talk interviews at the WH. He looked like a robot of himself, stiff, and unconvincing. He showed zero empathy, I doubt the man has ever shed a tear in his life.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yeah I mean if you watched any part of the speech he looked like a hostage out there. Totally unnatural and it's obvious he didn't believe a word of it.

Trump on twitter is his true self, enraged, vindictive, and obsessed with petty grievances.

For somebody who fancies himself a performer he's about the world's worst actor. Everybody can see right through it.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
So explain how that works...you know the FALSE PICTURE PART??

The part where he calls every person who isn't anti-gun an irrational freak. You know, those big generalizations that gloss over actual facts in an irrational manner because emotion clouds common sense. Much like whites saying all blacks are criminals. Or to put it as simply as I can - a few idiots in a large pool of normal people.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Have to disagree. These shooters are like a kettle boiling over, the only thing that varies is the source of the flame. The common denominator is easy access to the weapons that greatly increase the lethality for when they do boil over.

You are both sidesing the shit out of something so hard that it hurts to watch someone flail around a false equivalency with such spectactular failure.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Have to disagree. These shooters are like a kettle boiling over, the only thing that varies is the source of the flame.

There is a pretty huge difference between it being a part of the equation that caused him to be unhappy and it being the motivating factor in the attacks. In El Paso the shooter was doing what he was doing because he believed that it was the right thing to do because certain politicians are driving the rhetoric that these people are a threat. You can't say that of the Dayton shooter. As far as we know right now (and probably will ever know) he was not targeting specific people to send a message or remove a perceived threat to society.

The common denominator is easy access to the weapons that greatly increase the lethality for when they do boil over.

It does more than increase the lethality, it drives the narrative. Having a gun makes it a possible solution. It is one of the many things we need to solve, that we have a pervasive cultural belief that you can solve a problem by shooting it.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I'd guess that the Dayton shooter was more of an incel case than a political one. He expressed dislike/hatred for girls that shunned his advances.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I'd guess that the Dayton shooter was more of an incel case than a political one. He expressed dislike/hatred for girls that shunned his advances.

Honestly I think this one mostly had to do with depression. He had a girlfriend up to a few months ago. She broke up with him because he admitted to her that he had compulsions to hurt people.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Is this how you call for unity? By namecalling like this? We already know that you 'condemn racism' by claiming it doesn't exist.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Is this how you call for unity? By namecalling like this? We already know that you 'condemn racism' by claiming it doesn't exist.

He literally quotes George Wallace almost word for word in saying that the real racists are the ones talking about racism.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
It occurred to me, I wonder if any of the victims in the shootings ever imagined that electing Donald Trump would eventually mean their deaths?
Think about it.
You think the victims could have ever imagined that having Donald Trump as president would amount to their personal demise?
They died, yet Donald Trump lives on ensuring more deaths to follow.
You think that any of these poor people had a clue what they were in for the day Donald Trump was elected?
And if they could have imagined this as the outcome, would they had best flee America to some other country, to ANY OTHER COUNTRY to protect their very lives?

Face it America... Donald Trump is bad for our health.
They need to slap a big white warning label on his murderous fat ass, just like they did with cigarettes.
And I hope none of the Donald Trump victims actually voted for Donald Trump. Or helped get him into office.
If any of them did vote Trump, well.... THAT would be the ultimate sacrifice.
Lets just hope none of them helped to enable the hate and eventual American deaths from this mentally sick president
Speaking of recognizing mental illness from afar.
And the irony of it all.... while the surviving assassin could possibly get the gas chamber, Donald Trump goes Scott free.
Isn't that a kick in the balls....

trumphelicopter.jpg

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The gist seems to be that the shooter was a bit disturbed. He did call himself a 'leftist' apparently. Seemed to have major problems with his attitude to women. Which to me seems to be something that unites mass killers of multiple ideological persuasions, whether white-far-right or Islamist or even, as possibly in this case, leftist. Misogyny seems to be a real warning sign.

also recall that Slow calls himself a "true" or "reformed" leftist.

This guy is likely the same kind of "leftist" that Slow claims he once was.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

If Trump honestly wants unity, then he has no other choice but to 2nd amendment himself. There is no greater divider in this country than Trump. That's a true fact, asshole.

Reactions: purbeast0

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
also recall that Slow calls himself a "true" or "reformed" leftist.

This guy is likely the same kind of "leftist" that Slow claims he once was.

Not that it's important but I don't quite agree. I don't think Slow was ever any kind of leftist. That's a retrospective claim of his, after all, and if there's any truth in it at all (i.e. if its the case that he hasn't always been exactly as he is now) then it's still only that he was at best a slightly less committed right-winger than the full-on alt-righter he now is (and he has such a distorted view of politics that he thinks that constitutes being a 'leftist')

This shooter, in contrast, _appears_ to have legit liberal parents and seems to be a very distinct kind of wanna-be-tough-guy leftist, one who has no problem squaring that 'leftism' with a lot of serious misogyny...maybe he also has (er...had) outright mental health issues?

I do wonder where his misogyny comes from, because the little that has been said about his parents seems to make it hard to believe he got it directly from them. It seems part of the culture, that gets in everywhere, even independently of other political values.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Honestly I think this one mostly had to do with depression. He had a girlfriend up to a few months ago. She broke up with him because he admitted to her that he had compulsions to hurt people.

I’m going with schizophrenia for him and the others for now. If a young male is destined for schizophrenia it normally hits in the late teens, early 20s. IMO, societal and cultural changes have been taking place in the last 20+ years that are making these kids use a violent method of expressing their thoughts and feelings.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Where was the passion in his remarks? You know the passion he displays when he's at a rally or giving his chopper talk interviews at the WH. He looked like a robot of himself, stiff, and unconvincing. He showed zero empathy, I doubt the man has ever shed a tear in his life.

Those were not his words he read like a wooden doll off a Teleprompter. That was some unknown individual uploaded words into a teleprompter that were then read aloud by Trump on national television. The forced hollow recitations condemning white supremacy and extolling national unity sounded nothing like the Donald Trump that the nation has come to know over the last 31 months. The unknown individuals words read aloud by a leaderless leader and bigot like Trump does nothing to help heal America.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I’m going with schizophrenia for him and the others for now. If a young male is destined for schizophrenia it normally hits in the late teens, early 20s. IMO, societal and cultural changes have been taking place in the last 20+ years that are making these kids use a violent method of expressing their thoughts and feelings.

thats because we teach boys that expressing feelings is feminine and bad or otherwise a sign of weakness. You can only be angry or happy. You can't cry and be hurt. If you must mourn, it can only be in silence.

We only have ourselves to blame.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I keep hoping to hear that Team Trump is confused by the lack of turnout at their post-massacre events in Toledo and Houston.

"My visit to Toledo was huge! A huge success, believe me. They had to turn people away who wanted to see me. Great people there. Looking out at that crowd of white faces made me really proud to be who I am. As many people are saying. The lying media will say that not many people turned out. Can you believe that? You can't trust them. They lie about everything. After the "rally" er ..I mean visit, a man came up to me, he was in tears. A big man, really big. And he was in tears. "Sir", he said to me... "Sir, you're the only hope for our country." And you know, I had to agree with him." Tremendous people here. Ok, I'm off to the great city of Houston, Um.. I mean El Salvador. I know it's El something or another. As many people are saying. I'm looking for another Tremendous turnout. Don't believe the lying media".

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
thats because we teach boys that expressing feelings is feminine and bad or otherwise a sign of weakness. You can only be angry or happy. You can't cry and be hurt. If you must mourn, it can only be in silence.

We only have ourselves to blame.

The fabric of society has been picked away thread by thread. As we get more liberal as a society, we see more hatred and failure on a grand scale. At least one minority group has a single motherhood / absentee father rate north of 70%. That is not a recipe for success. And that didn't happen from embracing conservative values.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Not that it's important but I don't quite agree. I don't think Slow was ever any kind of leftist. That's a retrospective claim of his, after all, and if there's any truth in it at all (i.e. if its the case that he hasn't always been exactly as he is now) then it's still only that he was at best a slightly less committed right-winger than the full-on alt-righter he now is (and he has such a distorted view of politics that he thinks that constitutes being a 'leftist')

This shooter, in contrast, _appears_ to have legit liberal parents and seems to be a very distinct kind of wanna-be-tough-guy leftist, one who has no problem squaring that 'leftism' with a lot of serious misogyny...maybe he also has (er...had) outright mental health issues?

I do wonder where his misogyny comes from, because the little that has been said about his parents seems to make it hard to believe he got it directly from them. It seems part of the culture, that gets in everywhere, even independently of other political values.

What...you don't think leftists can be assholes? Many love to stir up trouble just as much as the right. Just because people put on a good show doesn't mean they don't have their own issues. There's a few proclaimed leftists here who clearly have problems and if it got reported they lost it and went on a rampage I wouldn't be surprised. As you say, people love to throw around politics, but at the end of the day, that's just another excuse to be a dick to everyone else.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
The fabric of society has been picked away thread by thread. As we get more liberal as a society, we see more hatred and failure on a grand scale. At least one minority group has a single motherhood / absentee father rate north of 70%. That is not a recipe for success. And that didn't happen from embracing conservative values.

what does any of this have to do with what I said?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
What...you don't think leftists can be assholes? Many love to stir up trouble just as much as the right. Just because people put on a good show doesn't mean they don't have their own issues. There's a few proclaimed leftists here who clearly have problems and if it got reported they lost it and went on a rampage I wouldn't be surprised. As you say, people love to throw around politics, but at the end of the day, that's just another excuse to be a dick to everyone else.

Well there's being an asshole, and there's specifically being a crazed woman-hater. This guy appears, from what's been said so far, to have been the latter. And leftists can certainly be misogynist, I wouldn't deny that - I've encountered a few.

Just am intellectually curious where he got it from, because it doesn't _seem_ as if his parents were like that, from the little bit of information out there. It sounds rather like that 'incel' mentality again, which to me is starting to seem like an infectious mental disease.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Well there's being an asshole, and there's specifically being a crazed woman-hater. This guy appears, from what's been said so far, to have been the latter. And leftists can certainly be misogynist, I wouldn't deny that - I've encountered a few.

Just am intellectually curious where he got it from, because it doesn't _seem_ as if his parents were like that, from the little bit of information out there. It sounds rather like that 'incel' mentality again, which to me is starting to seem like an infectious mental disease.

I've seen it...I've learned over the years that (just IMO from personal perspective) that misogyny doesn't seem to be a learned trait. I'm sure there's plenty of psychologists out there who know better than I who may disagree though. If that is the case, then the people they learned it from hid it well. I am sure there are those who grew up with abusive fathers who didn't respect women...but in other cases I think some grow to hate them out of years of rejection and their own insecurities.