Another "I'm old" milestone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tormac

Feb 3, 2011
Exterous, do you make that weird noise your dad used to make when he got off the sofa?

If you have not started making that noise, you are ok. But once you start making that noise, it is all down hill.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Yeah...pretty much....then she can watch the IMPORTANT stuff on the teevee...like HGTV, Food Network, The HouseWhores of Where Ever...
abg.thumb.gif
Hallmark has 40 new Christmas movies too.

Minerva

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Anyone remember when TV stations used to sign off late at night? They'd play the Star Spangled Banner and either shut down the transmitter altogether or broadcast a test pattern and annoying tone.

Reminds me when we had an actual analog (POTS) telephone and when one of the kitties knocked the receiver off the hook it would play that annoying AHAHAHAHAHAHA tone you could hear across the room!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
When did you first notice that the increase in ass hair was starting to make a difference in your life?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Anyone remember when TV stations used to sign off late at night? They'd play the Star Spangled Banner and either shut down the transmitter altogether or broadcast a test pattern and annoying tone.

Reminds me when we had an actual analog (POTS) telephone and when one of the kitties knocked the receiver off the hook it would play that annoying AHAHAHAHAHAHA tone you could hear across the room!

sometimes it was a loop with the American flag with the anthem.

the dial tone...man. I remember that. sometimes woke up to that in the middle of the night because I had one of those stupid car phones...HAHAHA CAR PHONE--get it?...that didn't have a cradle, just a little switch to hang up. In teenage years, on the phone...it seems I would pass out late at night, maybe while on the phone and without properly hanging it up.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
When did you first notice that the increase in ass hair was starting to make a difference in your life?

I've had that issue since my teens. Pooping is like pushing peanut butter through furnace filter. Thankfully as I've gotten older the hairs have since trained to grow the other way instead of interweaving like velcro.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've had that issue since my teens. Pooping is like pushing peanut butter through furnace filter. Thankfully as I've gotten older the hairs have since trained to grow the other way instead of interweaving like velcro.
:eek:
source.gif

Nothing to do with TV, but last night my wife and I were at our oldest son's holiday men's choir performance at his college, and told my wife if someone told me I would ever be sitting through a holiday choir performance when I was younger, I'd told them they were high and to share. :p

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was flipping through channels and came across what looked like a Robin Williams special. Turns out it was a Time Life DVD infomercial. And I was interested...
I don't channel surf. :D I remember when we had cable here and a teenage house mate asked me "is there anything on?" IOW, is there anything on worth watching? The unspoken answer was, not likely.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Explaining what cassette tapes are to children and the fact that early Microcomputers also used them along with cartridges on many systems. I remember popping on one in and loading a game and then running down to the convenience store to get something, and said game was still loading sometimes.

Fun Fact:

The first IBM PC had a cassette port, but to my knowledge nobody ever used it. Did IBM even bother releasing a tape deck for their system?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
When I went to high school we carried slide rules. Got my first calculator in the 1970's, an OMG moment. A few years later (around 1980) I bought a far more compact calculator at the campus student store, a Casio fx-78 "10 DIGIT SCIENTIFIC CALCULATOR." It's tiny. Got it right in my hand now. When I bought it I asked the guy behind the counter how long the battery would last. This was 1980. He said "2 years." Uh, he was wrong: It's still working. I've never even opened it. On the back it says: 1.5v x 2 (DC) == 0.00043 W

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I just had a realization that next September, it will be 20 years since I started high school. That's crazy when I think about it. Don't know where the time went. I still remember the day my dad brought me and I was super nervous, and he was nervous for me too. I had switched from the catholic system to public as the public system is way smaller so it was slightly less overwhelming than going to the bigger school, but it was still scary. It did not take long for me to feel alright though and I made some friends pretty fast and high school years were probably my funnest years tbh. Being a smaller school of around 300 students as opposed to over 1,000 it felt like a more tightly knit community. I kinda miss those days tbh... but not that I'd want to start over. Happy where I am now.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I just had a realization that next September, it will be 20 years since I started high school. That's crazy when I think about it. Don't know where the time went. I still remember the day my dad brought me and I was super nervous, and he was nervous for me too. I had switched from the catholic system to public as the public system is way smaller so it was slightly less overwhelming than going to the bigger school, but it was still scary. It did not take long for me to feel alright though and I made some friends pretty fast and high school years were probably my funnest years tbh. Being a smaller school of around 300 students as opposed to over 1,000 it felt like a more tightly knit community. I kinda miss those days tbh... but not that I'd want to start over. Happy where I am now.
300 students? I think my HS was about 6x as big as yours. Must have been 300 in my class! Most of those people I didn't really know. Of course when I went to the U the school was maybe 15x bigger than HS!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I was flipping through channels and came across what looked like a Robin Williams special. Turns out it was a Time Life DVD infomercial. And I was interested...
Watch this. Seriously. You will THANK me if you do. Robin Williams and Jonathan Winters on Carson. It's 30 plus minutes of Robin Williams at his fucking finest.

Reactions: zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Watch this. Seriously. You will THANK me if you do. Robin Williams and Jonathan Winters on Carson. It's 30 plus minutes of Robin Williams at his fucking finest.

watched the whole thing, it's so good. I think I've seen pieces of that before, but never the whole appearance.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
300 students? I think my HS was about 6x as big as yours. Must have been 300 in my class! Most of those people I didn't really know. Of course when I went to the U the school was maybe 15x bigger than HS!

It was a small public school that's why. The catholic one had like over 1,000 students. I had one class where we were 3 students. Group projects were... interesting. lol.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It was a small public school that's why. The catholic one had like over 1,000 students. I had one class where we were 3 students. Group projects were... interesting. lol.
My Class of 93 in begin with something around ~500 students. Hell my Class was larger then then your entire High School was. Where in Hell did you go such small High School, Hillbillieville?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Holy crap that would suck. I heard of universities doing this where it's in an auditorium but never heard of this for high school. Even at the big school typical class sizes were 20-30 or so students. The perks of living in a smaller city I guess, but even in big cities like Toronto I can't imagine them having classes with 100+ students. They just have more schools. Of course with Doug Ford who knows what will happen, he keeps threatening to make classes bigger.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Jeez, I don't think I've ever been in a class with less than 20 students, seriously doubt it. 30 sounds more like a small class to me. But I haven't taken a class in over 25 years... Maybe should, plenty I'd like to learn.