Another Homerun for Palin!

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
the fact that you and I disagree on what that foreign policy would be doesn't mean that VP's have to have extensive foreign policy experience (or even presidents, for that matter. I was quite happy with the job that Bubba did)

I'm kinda tired of seeing comparisons between runner-up Miss Alaska (sorry :)) and our beloved yet morally compromised Ivy League undergrad and Ivy League Law Graduate, Rhodes scholar, and 12 year governor, who is one of the smartest and sharpest people anywhere.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
For a man who based his entire campaign on experience you don't think it's a little hypocritical that he picked the least experienced running mate out of the pool of candidates?

Again, you really need to question John McCain and his principles. His campaign has turned into a joke (all attack ads no substance), and anyone voting for him is a part of it. I feel sorry for you sheep that are fooled so easily.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
For a man who based his entire campaign on experience you don't think it's a little hypocritical that he picked the least experienced running mate out of the pool of candidates?

Again, you really need to question John McCain and his principles. His campaign has turned into a joke (all attack ads no substance), and anyone voting for him is a part of it. I feel sorry for you sheep that are fooled so easily.

It better than that taken in its entirety. The experience attack on Obama wasn't moving the polls at all. So they started calling him a "celebrity" which got some reaction. Palin then joins the team, and now they run ads saying Obama is jealous that his celebrity star is failing, while promoting Palin as a celebrity. It's a cyclone of bullshit.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
RightIsWrong-

I checked around and it said AK budget for 2007 = $5.5 Billion, and AR budget was $2.79 Billion in 2007 dollars. Where do you see that AR > AK? Your source said $2.3 B in 1992. I don't think $2.3B is greater than 5.5B even with inflation.

And Little Rock has a population of 187K ...http://factfinder.census.gov/s...l&_keyword=&_industry=

AK = 683K ...http://factfinder.census.gov/s...=on&_lang=en&pctxt=fph

I remember the joke about IHOP with Clinton. But at least he was running for President. Al Gore <VP candidate> didn't have to answer for his foreign experience IIRC.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: Ballatician
-snip-

In the video I watched, after Gibson asks her to clarify and she just says a lot of words, he then proceeds to define the Bush doctrine. I think he knows what it means.

Yes, you're right, good point. He does know at least one pillar of it.

Fern
Well, according to Gibson and to McCain they both knew this "pillar" of the Bush Doctrine fairly well.

If McCain's group was in fact preparing Palin. I think they did a poor job.

GOP Primary debate

GIBSON: Let me just ratchet up the question slightly and ask you if you believe in the Bush doctrine.

Because in September 2002 -- up for years, our foreign policy has been based on the idea that we form alliances, international consensus. We attack -- retaliate if we're attacked.

But in 2002, the president said we have a right to a pre-emptive attack, that we can attack if this country feels threatened.

GIBSON: And on that basis, WMD, we went into Iraq. We've cited the threat of a nuclear Iran to leave the military option on the table.

Do you agree with the doctrine, Senator McCain, if you were president, or would you change it?

MCCAIN: I agree with the doctrine.

so compare this:
?The Bush doctrine, as I understand it, is that we have the right of anticipatory self-defense, that we have the right to a preemptive strike against any other country that we think is going to attack us.?

to this:
"But in 2002, the president said we have a right to a pre-emptive attack, that we can attack if this country feels threatened."

It looks to me that Gibson knew what he was talking about just fine. He's asked the question to McCain before.

And the fact that McCain understood what Gibson meant earlier this year, and that McCain and his handler's have been prepping Palin for this interview for TWO WEEKS..well, imho it looks like Palin just was at a loss as to how to respond to the question.

So, whats really going on here? Is it that Palin doesn't know what the "Bush Doctrine" is? or McCain and Palin's handlers are doing a pretty sh!tty job of getting her informed? Maybe Gibson could have asked the question more slowly? Used pictures maybe? :p

At any rate. It's not like they haven't seen this question from Gibson before.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
By the way, does anyone find the topic of this thread funny by this point? "Another Homerun for Palin!" along with the comment about her eating Gibson for dinner?

Ballatician

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2007
Originally posted by: OrByte
-snip-

In the video I watched, after Gibson asks her to clarify and she just says a lot of words, he then proceeds to define the Bush doctrine. I think he knows what it means.

Fern
Well, according to Gibson and to McCain they both knew this "pillar" of the Bush Doctrine fairly well.

-snip-

Great info, thanks.

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
-snip-

Fern

GOP Primary debate

GIBSON: Let me just ratchet up the question slightly and ask you if you believe in the Bush doctrine.

Because in September 2002 -- up for years, our foreign policy has been based on the idea that we form alliances, international consensus. We attack -- retaliate if we're attacked.

But in 2002, the president said we have a right to a pre-emptive attack, that we can attack if this country feels threatened.

GIBSON: And on that basis, WMD, we went into Iraq. We've cited the threat of a nuclear Iran to leave the military option on the table.

Do you agree with the doctrine, Senator McCain, if you were president, or would you change it?

so compare this:
?The Bush doctrine, as I understand it, is that we have the right of anticipatory self-defense, that we have the right to a preemptive strike against any other country that we think is going to attack us.?

to this:
"But in 2002, the president said we have a right to a pre-emptive attack, that we can attack if this country feels threatened."

It looks to me that Gibson knew what he was talking about just fine. He's asked the question to McCain before.

And the fact that McCain understood what Gibson meant earlier this year, and that McCain and his handler's have been prepping Palin for this interview for TWO WEEKS..well, imho it looks like Palin just was at a loss as to how to respond to the question.

So, whats really going on here? Is it that Palin doesn't know what the "Bush Doctrine" is? or McCain and Palin's handlers are doing a pretty sh!tty job of getting her informed? Maybe Gibson could have asked the question more slowly? Used pictures maybe? :p

McCain knew what Gibson meant by the "Bush Doctrine" because Gibson explained it first.

Here's a question for Charles Gibson, "What aspects of the Bush Doctrine, as universally acknowledged to be set forth in its entirety in this document were you referring to?"

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Woofmeister
McCain knew what Gibson meant by the "Bush Doctrine" because Gibson explained it first.
So McCain knew because Gibson explained it.

Then I guess McCain didn't do a good enough job explaining to Palin. Or Maybe Palin sprayed too much hairspray on that day in her "crash course for VEEP" class. Clouded her memory juuuust a bit.

Thats quality leadership right there! I'd vote for that guy!! :)

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Svnla
RightIsWrong-

I checked around and it said AK budget for 2007 = $5.5 Billion, and AR budget was $2.79 Billion in 2007 dollars. Where do you see that AR > AK? Your source said $2.3 B in 1992. I don't think $2.3B is greater than 5.5B even with inflation.

And Little Rock has a population of 187K ...http://factfinder.census.gov/s...l&_keyword=&_industry=

AK = 683K ...http://factfinder.census.gov/s...=on&_lang=en&pctxt=fph

I remember the joke about IHOP with Clinton. But at least he was running for President. Al Gore <VP candidate> didn't have to answer for his foreign experience IIRC.

2008 State of Alaska Operating Budget
$1.87 bil

Department of Administration

$15.7 million

Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development

$422.2 million

Department of Corrections

$6.2 million

Department of Education and Early Development

$193.5 million

Department of Environmental Conservation
$121.5 million

Department of Fish and Game
$31.4 million

Department of Health and Social Services
$37.9 million

Department of Natural Resources

$32.4 million

Department of Public Safety
$1.7 million

Department of Revenue
$63.9 million

Department of Transportation/Public Facilities

$809.4 million

University of Alaska
$95.8 million

Alaska Court System
$13.2 million

* * * * * Total Budget * * * * * $1,871,132,635

Threre is an additional $1 billion in earmarks associated with the Alaska budget - the overwhelming majority of which ($662.5 million) are projects for Anchorage:

10 Biggest Earmarks for Anchorage

$70.6 million -- Sport fish hatchery upgrade, improvements and construction
$46 million -- UAA Health Sciences building
$25.6 million -- Airport, south terminal seismic and retrofit
$25 million -- Fire Island wind farm
$25 million -- Port of Anchorage expansion
$22.1 million -- Dowling Road/Old Seward/Minnesota connections
$20 million -- Seward Highway, Windy Corner safety improvements
$19.5 million -- McLaughlin Youth Center renovation
$18 million -- Airport, taxiway and runway improvements

10 Smallest Earmarks for Anchorage

$1,500 -- King Career Center new signage for shop areas
$1,500 -- Mountain View Community Council spring cleanup
$2,000 -- Fire station No. 7, Wi-Fi equipment
$2,500 -- Mountain View community patrol
$2,500 -- Russian Jack community patrol
$2,500 -- Northeast community patrol
$2,500 -- Nunaka Valley community patrol
$2,500 -- West High library equipment and furniture
$2,500 -- Klatt Elementary, installation of existing video equipment
$3,000 -- Fire station No. 15, Wi-Fi equipment

The is from the State budget legislation. It's around 200 pages - 80% of which is those billion in earmarks ...

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Woofmeister
-snip-

Fern

GOP Primary debate

so compare this:

to this:

Here's a question for Charles Gibson, "What aspects of the Bush Doctrine, as universally acknowledged to be set forth in its entirety in this document were you referring to?"
Amazing how one must derive pleasure out of reposting the same argument in the same thread. "But it's on a different page, dude!" But Wally, I hear narcissism can even affect internet users! /Beaver

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
By the way, does anyone find the topic of this thread funny by this point? "Another Homerun for Palin!" along with the comment about her eating Gibson for dinner?
It is pretty funny. But it improves the viewcount on the pwnage, so not complaining. ;)

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
McCain's not on his death bed...
Just a quick reminder; John S. McCain Sr. and John S. McCain Jr. both died suddenly and unexpectedly. John S. McCain III has already outlasted them both.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: jonks
the fact that you and I disagree on what that foreign policy would be doesn't mean that VP's have to have extensive foreign policy experience (or even presidents, for that matter. I was quite happy with the job that Bubba did)

I'm kinda tired of seeing comparisons between runner-up Miss Alaska (sorry :)) and our beloved yet morally compromised Ivy League undergrad and Ivy League Law Graduate, Rhodes scholar, and 12 year governor, who is one of the smartest and sharpest people anywhere.

no doubt.

it just seems funny that the party that ran with Clinton and Vice President John Edwards should suddenly find themselves caring so much about the foreign policy experience (or lack thereof) in a vice presidential candidate when history's proven that it doesn't really matter and Obama himself ran on a lack of experience platform a scant 8-9 months ago, comparing his lack of experience with Lincoln's and Clinton's.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The strongest impression I've taken away from this series of interviews so far is that Sarah Palin is an intensely mediocre person and candidate.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
From the man that coined the term:

Yes, Sarah Palin didn't know what it is. But neither does Charlie Gibson. And at least she didn't pretend to know -- while he looked down his nose and over his glasses with weary disdain, sighing and "sounding like an impatient teacher," as the Times noted. In doing so, he captured perfectly the establishment snobbery and intellectual condescension that has characterized the chattering classes' reaction to the mother of five who presumes to play on their stage.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Dedpuhl
From the man that coined the term:

Yes, Sarah Palin didn't know what it is. But neither does Charlie Gibson. And at least she didn't pretend to know -- while he looked down his nose and over his glasses with weary disdain, sighing and "sounding like an impatient teacher," as the Times noted. In doing so, he captured perfectly the establishment snobbery and intellectual condescension that has characterized the chattering classes' reaction to the mother of five who presumes to play on their stage.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...html?hpid=opinionsbox1

How dare we be "intellectual," how dare we use our brains! Let stupidity reign!