Another example of McCain's bad judgement

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Tab
Originally posted by: Harvey
Since when does money the only measure of brains... or any guarantee, at all? There are some very dumb, very lucky people in the world.

It's not however do you believe that Bush, Cheney, Rove, Rumsfled just got lucky?

They say the educated tend to have a lot of luck.

Education and intellect help. Rove and Rumsfeld aren't dummies. They're just ethical eunichs and moral dwarves. Bush is all of that, AND, at best, he's a mediocre intellect, as well.

Every time McCain has done so many things I consider really dumb. The OP's post is just one example, but he doesn't impress me as the brightest candle on the menorah.

I don't know enough about McCain's ethics to get into it. He has a mixed history, some of which looks very positve, but I lost all respect for him when, after being swift boated by Bush and Rove's crew, he stood on that stage with Bush and backed him for President.

I wouldn't have expected him to back another candidate, but I'd have a lot more respect for him if he had just stood silent. As it is, he sold his soul for political gain.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Ummm no.

I agree with him.

A detail is useless against a sniper.

Dave, you can of course agree with him all you want - but you are flat out wrong concerning diplomatic security. I'd go into specifics, but having 'heard' you say that immediately tells me it would be a waste of time.

This ain't CounterStrike, ok? The Arctic Warfare Magnum which always hits perfectly regardless of range and drift and kills with leg shots does - not - exist.

Oh, wait he's a bad public speaker I guess he's a dumb-dumb

No, he'll be a "dumb-dumb" if he compounds his bad speaking with actual idiocy, like Bush has done for the last 7 years. Thankfully, McCain hasn't shown a GWB-esque level of ignorance and stupidity concerning policy, history, or ethics. Yet.

The speaking bad part I can handle, it's the mixing of that with uncaring idiocy that I have a problem with.

Rove is another one who's extremely bright and even more extremely evil, and he was probably behind the "swift boat" style smear campaign against McCain when he was running for President against Bush. The fact that McCain would take anything more than an express flight away froma skunk like Rove tells me either he's accepted Rove's amoral gutter level ethical values, or he really is dumber than a rock.

Very well said, my feeling exactly. A frosty :beer: just for you.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Thump553
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
wow, from picking on his teeth(then backing off it), to the bogus plagiarism claim, to this? Buahahahaha!!! You people really are reaching for stuff to whine about. Why this when there is so much else POLICY wise to hit him with? Oh that's right, it's not about substance with you people....

CGS: This isn't a thread about policy matters, its a thread about whether or not one particular decision show McCain is either: (a) headstrong, (b) foolhardy or (c) justifiably stingy with the taxpayers dollars. The policy issues really belong in another thread.

No, this is just fluff the libs are trying to pass off as something more. It's rather silly when, as I said before, there is plenty of things with SUBSTANCE to criticize him about. Sheesh.

CAD you managed to cut McCain.

:shocked:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Craig234
It's just irresponsible and suggests something wrong with him, IMO.

link

Oh come on. A pile of posts here about all sorts of stuff that's irrelevant.

McCain has always had his style of campaigning as well as conducting relations with the press; it's well known and often mentioned. And in all those years apparently never relied upon the SS. This ain't his first Presidential campaign either. Why change now? And how has it suddenly now become an issue?

He's not going to change his 20+ years campaign style. So there's no reason to have the SS tag around if he's not going to use them.

This is a non-issue IMO.

Fern

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
wow, from picking on his teeth(then backing off it), to the bogus plagiarism claim, to this? Buahahahaha!!! You people really are reaching for stuff to whine about. Why this when there is so much else POLICY wise to hit him with? Oh that's right, it's not about substance with you people....

CGS: This isn't a thread about policy matters, its a thread about whether or not one particular decision show McCain is either: (a) headstrong, (b) foolhardy or (c) justifiably stingy with the taxpayers dollars. The policy issues really belong in another thread.

No, this is just fluff the libs are trying to pass off as something more. It's rather silly when, as I said before, there is plenty of things with SUBSTANCE to criticize him about. Sheesh.

Geez CAD, you managed to (inadvertantly, I'm sure) accidentally cut from my quote the last paragraph-where I criticize McCain on a specific policy statement of his. Pretty shabby.

Please don't edit my statements to use them as strawmen arguments to support your distorted perceptions.

:roll: MY point was that this thread was stupid and nothing but fluff and I was responding to your statement that it wasn't about policy. Well, then my original comments stand.

And yes, we agree on the other point - which is why I cut it out. We should be talking about policy - not the crap this thread is talking about.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Since when does money the only measure of brains... or any guarantee, at all? There are some very dumb, very lucky people in the world.

It's not however do you believe that Bush, Cheney, Rove, Rumsfled just got lucky?

Education and intellect help. Rove and Rumsfeld aren't dummies. They're just ethical eunichs and moral dwarves. Bush is all of that, AND, at best, he's a mediocre intellect, as well.

Every time McCain has done so many things I consider really dumb. The OP's post is just one example, but he doesn't impress me as the brightest candle on the menorah.

I don't know enough about McCain's ethics to get into it. He has a mixed history, some of which looks very positve, but I lost all respect for him when, after being swift boated by Bush and Rove's crew, he stood on that stage with Bush and backed him for President.

I wouldn't have expected him to back another candidate, but I'd have a lot more respect for him if he had just stood silent. As it is, he sold his soul for political gain.

I swear to god some of you are beyond help... :roll:

This is nothing but a political publicity stunt. You're a fool to think John McCain a future potential president is walking around, in public, without any form of protection. He has plenty of security guards that he pays for out of his own pocket.

As for Bush the man was an alcoholic on a road going to nowhere but for whatever reason he went from that to the most powerful man in the world. Did he receive help from Rove and Cheney? Of course but make no mistake this was no easy task and it requires an incredible amount of intelligence.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Phokus
:roll: I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that John McCain is probably smarter than you, me and probably everyone that posts on this board.

You're going wayyyyyyyyy out on a limb... in fact, it looks like you're falling off the tree.

... and over a cliff into a very deep abyss. :p

For a start, McCain was 894th out of 899 graduates in his class at Annapolis. I deal with much brighter people than McCain, every day, and that's before I get to discussing tech issues with some of the better minds on these forums.

Every time I hear McCain speak, he just confirms that he isn't what I'd consider prime leadership material.

Jesus, you guys are fucking dense...

We have a man whom was on Rove's shit-list and is now getting advice from him; you're telling me hes stupid? This man has more money, more power than anyone here can possibly even fathom. Unless, we have some multi-millionaires or some very high-status people...

Oh, wait he's a bad public speaker I guess he's a dumb-dumb :confused:

Bush is leaving office and scumbag Rove needs a new pet to play with to ensure his ever constant presence and meddling in the White House affairs. If McCain hadn't won the primary Rove would of just jumped on the other person who did to ensure his spot in the White House. His connection with Rove is not a sign of intelligence and neither is the amount of money he has through campaign contributions. When he starts experssing sound and logical ideas with actions that don't invovled catering to the "Kill'em All!!!!" group of slack jawed yockels or the blind political zealots we can then have a talk about how smart he truly was/is in the grand scheme of things.

Right now we can pile this move onto the stupid pile of things he has done. For example his last economic speech about the sub-prime debacle where he shrugged his shoulders and declared that we needed less regulation and oversight, his "100 years in Iraq" comment, his "Look at me walking through Baghdad! It's safe folks !" **surrounded by a ton of marines with air support**" comment.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

I swear to god some of you are beyond help... :roll:

This is nothing but a political publicity stunt. You're a fool to think John McCain a future potential president is walking around, in public, without any form of protection. He has plenty of security guards that he pays for out of his own pocket.

As for Bush the man was an alcoholic on a road going to nowhere but for whatever reason he went from that to the most powerful man in the world. Did he receive help from Rove and Cheney? Of course but make no mistake this was no easy task and it requires an incredible amount of intelligence.

proof that he's doing anything to get publicity out of this? it's been going on since 2K, and this is the first I'm hearing it; clearly his publicist must really suck.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481

... CLIP ...

proof that he's doing anything to get publicity out of this? it's been going on since 2K, and this is the first I'm hearing it; clearly his publicist must really suck.

You're posting in this thread.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-

And what of it?

He DOESN'T want to follow SS protocols.

If he has some other security guards, whether hired donated or volunteers, he can campaign the way he wants.

Edit: Forgot to mention that publicity about this preference is a terrible idea. It's akin to announcing that your bank's security guards are unarmed. It can only serve to attract unwanted attention. This type of thing should not be advertised.

I womder why it's in the news; it strikes me as irresponsible to report on this. Is someone trying to force McCain to SS protection?

If you guys can come up some proff that McCain is publicizing this on purpose, for whatever reason, I'll agree he's an even bigger idiot than I thought.

Fern

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Drift3r

Bush is leaving office and scumbag Rove needs a new pet to play with to ensure his ever constant presence and meddling in the White House affairs. If McCain hadn't won the primary Rove would of just jumped on the other person who did to ensure his spot in the White House. His connection with Rove is not a sign of intelligence and neither is the amount of money he has through campaign contributions. When he starts experssing sound and logical ideas with actions that don't invovled catering to the "Kill'em All!!!!" group of slack jawed yockels or the blind political zealots we can then have a talk about how smart he truly was/is in the grand scheme of things.

Right now we can pile this move onto the stupid pile of things he has done. For example his last economic speech about the sub-prime debacle where he shrugged his shoulders and declared that we needed less regulation and oversight, his "100 years in Iraq" comment, his "Look at me walking through Baghdad! It's safe folks !" **surrounded by a ton of marines with air support**" comment.

While as much as I disagree with McCain's foreign policy and probably a lot of other things that's not what we're discussing. His choice to accept help from a man whom undoubtedly one of the most important factors in getting Bush into office is not a stupid decision.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Fern
-snip-

And what of it?

If he has some other security guards, whether hired donated or volunteers, he can campaign the way he wants.

Edit: Forgot to mention that publicity about this preference is a terrible idea. It's akin to announcing that your bank's security guards are unarmed. It can only serve to attract unwanted attention. This type of thing should not be advertised.

I womder why it's in the news; it strikes me as irresponsible to report on this. Is someone trying to force McCain to SS protection?

If you guys can come up some proff that McCain is publicizing this on purpose, for whatever reason, I'll agree he's an even bigger idiot than I thought.

Fern

McCain is trying display the image that he is liked so much he doesn't need the protection of the SS. As for proof goto one of his public appearances - plenty of armed guards.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Fern
-snip-

And what of it?

Fern

McCain is trying display the image that he is liked so much he doesn't need the protection of the SS. As for proof goto one of his public appearances - plenty of armed guards.

show me where McCain hid behind armed guards in a situation where he had direct control over his own security or how's he's gained positive publicity from this... 8 years and 1 story? what a press whore!

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
show me where McCain hid behind armed guards in a situation where he had direct control over his own security or how's he's gained positive publicity from this... 8 years and 1 story? what a press whore!

Maybe you should read the article...

WASHINGTON - Sen. John McCain of Arizona waded through a crush of strangers at a crowded roadside diner in Florida two weeks ago, shaking hands and posing for photos with admirers and gawkers alike.

That's the kind of scenario that energizes voters but makes Secret Service agents shudder.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

WASHINGTON - Sen. John McCain of Arizona waded through a crush of strangers at a crowded roadside diner in Florida two weeks ago, shaking hands and posing for photos with admirers and gawkers alike.

so... meeting supporters is now a publicity stunt?

why is it so galling to you that McCain would rather meet supporters than have guards that he deems useless?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

why is it so galling to you that McCain would rather meet supporters than have guards that he deems useless?

It's galling to me to see so many democrats think that McCain, Bush, Cheney whom the fuck ever are stupid. They are not stupid. They've won twice; I don't want it become a third.

If you can't understand how this is publicity stunt from my posts you're hopeless.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

It's galling to me to see so many democrats think that McCain, Bush, Cheney whom the fuck ever are stupid. They are not stupid. They've won twice; I don't want it become a third.

If you can't understand how this is publicity stunt from my posts you're hopeless.

your partisanship is making you delusional.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

Okay. Prove it.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

Okay. Prove it.

what's there to prove? you haven't brought anything to back up your accusation that McCain is somehow using this as a publicity stunt other than your own dislike of the guy.