Another Day, Another Guy Shot Dead by Cops

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
Didn't see this posted so I thought I'd post.

Saw the video *WARNING: INTENSE & NSFW* here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jhEY_NfXJU#t=34

Seems to me, after a couple of times of watching it, the dude didn't comply with the police (although there were six coppers on one dude on the ground) and tried to grab the cop's gun. Yea, that didn't end well.

What is different this time around, of course, is that the cop himself is black!

Is it just me or are these cop involved shootings getting more frequent?

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I wouldn't say more frequent, just more people around with smart phones to take photos and videos. In the past, the cops just sweep dirt under the rug without being caught.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I wouldn't say more frequent, just more people around with smart phones to take photos and videos. In the past, the cops just sweep dirt under the rug without being caught.

This, although I wouldn't call this particular instance "dirt". The guy was fighting the cops, and apparently he grabbed a cop's gun and managed to discharge it (the first shot). Yeah, news flash: The cops will shoot you if you grab their guns and shoot at them.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
You don't want to get shot? DONT FUCKING RESIST ARREST. It is a simple fucking equation.

I don't fucking get why this is the cops fault? You want to fight and try to take a cop's gun, you're going to fucking get ventilated.

What's even more moronic is that somehow these people can't reason, at all, that there isn't a single situation where resisting arrest is going to make your situation better. It will *never* make it better. Just comply and fight it out in court, period.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
You don't want to get shot? DONT FUCKING RESIST ARREST. It is a simple fucking equation.

I don't fucking get why this is the cops fault? You want to fight and try to take a cop's gun, you're going to fucking get ventilated.

What's even more moronic is that somehow these people can't reason, at all, that there isn't a single situation where resisting arrest is going to make your situation better. It will *never* make it better. Just comply and fight it out in court, period.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Are you saying I shouldn't resist arrest? This all seems very complicated. You're going to have to give me a little time to process all this information. Have you told anyone else about this? This seems so foreign.

gryphus

Feb 28, 2015
After the man was pushed to the ground he should have been flipped and handcuffed. Even if you could consider this one man a threat and that it is possible to reach for a gun in a cops holster while being tasered. This is still poor police training because the 4+ cops were unable to subdue one homeless man before he somehow got a gun out of his pocket or the cop's pocket while somehow holding his hands up to protect his face from the multiple punches. Were they trying to give the man a concussion before they handcuffed him? 

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
After the man was pushed to the ground he should have been flipped and handcuffed. Even if you could consider this one man a threat and that it is possible to reach for a gun in a cops holster while being tasered. This is still poor police training because the 4+ cops were unable to subdue one homeless man before he somehow got a gun out of his pocket or the cop's pocket while somehow holding his hands up to protect his face from the multiple punches. Were they trying to give the man a concussion before they handcuffed him? 

I don't care if the cops had No Training whatsoever. They were fully justified in shooting this man.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Pretty much. Most of them have been taught since birth that "reason" is "acting white". Or similar bullshit.

Seriously, my GF works with some ghetto single mothers, and the other day she told me a story one of them told at the lunch break. The single mother in question has two young kids, a son and a daughter. Daughter stole one of son's toys. So what does the mother do? She grabs her daughter and holds her still while telling her son to smack her. Lets him smack her multiple times. The mother in question filed this under "teaching her daughter not to take other people's stuff", and the other ghetto single mothers agreed with her. Didn't even cross her mind that she was training her son that he had the right to personal revenge against anyone who so much as annoys him.

When you raise kids like that, they're going to be messed up and irrational. It's a cultural issue and a resulting perpetual cycle of senseless poverty. People like this don't have any real desire to improve their situations, they've accepted abuse as a cultural norm to the point of taking twisted pride in it. That's not to say that everyone living in the ghetto is that way, there are always outliers. All I know is that there are a lot of fit, angry, young men and women who would readily qualify for military service if they wanted to get out of that life, and they don't take it.

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
This, although I wouldn't call this particular instance "dirt". The guy was fighting the cops, and apparently he grabbed a cop's gun and managed to discharge it (the first shot). Yeah, news flash: The cops will shoot you if you grab their guns and shoot at them.

This.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
The thing that really stood out about this incident to me was the fact that so many of the cops pulled their guns all at the same time and shot. Something very significant happened that kicked in a nearly identical reaction in all of them. I think that tends to validate their claims that he grabbed a gun. My gut reaction is good shoot.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

hahahaaa.. your the guy who believes all cop related shootings are legit???

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
Well it was clear he reached for the gun so the result is not surprising.

However, what is surprising is the complete lack of empathy for the guy who lost his life.

In many situations like this, I see time and time again of people, not just on ATOT, showing contempt for the person who has forfeited his life.

Ultimately, I feel sad that someone has died - whatever may be the cause.

Of course, the officer should not and would not be convicted of any wrongdoing in this case which is fine.

Yet, to just not have any empathy is disheartening and frankly disturbing.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Well it was clear he reached for the gun so the result is not surprising.

However, what is surprising is the complete lack of empathy for the guy who lost his life.

In many situations like this, I see time and time again of people, not just on ATOT, showing contempt for the person who has forfeited his life.

Ultimately, I feel sad that someone has died - whatever may be the cause.

Of course, the officer should not and would not be convicted of any wrongdoing in this case which is fine.

Yet, to just not have any empathy is disheartening and frankly disturbing.

Well, I hate to say it, but welcome to the internet. And more specifically, internet political message boards.:\

Of course, in reality, to the majority of working, functional, healthy adults (i.e. not the ATP&N bread and butter), any loss of life is upsetting and regrettable, but there is going to be expected push back against what is increasingly becoming a media narrative of "Cop guns down unarmed man!" ...

...aaaaaand the then the rest of the details emerge.

Part of the pitfalls of potentially overexposing any subject, even if the root cause and injustice is still very real (police abuses), when you consistently attempt to frame every officer involved shooting as "the next Michael Brown execution style racist police MURDER!", there is an expected push back when the story ends up amounting to something very different.

It's the Boy Who Cried Wold effect.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is it just me or are these cop involved shootings getting more frequent?

I haven't seen any statistical evidence of such shootings getting more frequent. With more and more cameras everywhere it is more likely for something to get caught on camera when it happens, which might account for the perceived increase. That, and the media has latched onto the idea of the police shooting poor innocent black men for no particular reason as a great selling point.

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
Well, I hate to say it, but welcome to the internet. And more specifically, internet political message boards.:\

Of course, in reality, to the majority of working, functional, healthy adults (i.e. not the ATP&N bread and butter), any loss of life is upsetting and regrettable, but there is going to be expected push back against what is increasingly becoming a media narrative of "Cop guns down unarmed man!" ...

...aaaaaand the then the rest of the details emerge.

Part of the pitfalls of potentially overexposing any subject, even if the root cause and injustice is still very real (police abuses), when you consistently attempt to frame every officer involved shooting as "the next Michael Brown execution style racist police MURDER!", there is an expected push back when the story ends up amounting to something very different.

It's the Boy Who Cried Wold effect.

Some of what you say is true, yet I think people of this generation have become utterly desensitized to violence and loss of life. Of course, if someone from an older generation could chime in on that, it would be nice. Yet, I think that self-absorption has gone to unhealthy levels where people "just don't give a shit" about anyone else.

I do agree we have to be careful about blaming every cop regardless of the context though.

This particular incident was straightforward enough to not leave much doubt.

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
I haven't seen any statistical evidence of such shootings getting more frequent. With more and more cameras everywhere it is more likely for something to get caught on camera when it happens, which might account for the perceived increase. That, and the media has latched onto the idea of the police shooting poor innocent black men for no particular reason as a great selling point.

True and true.

I think people in society, black or otherwise, need to be taught NOT to confront the police. In what situation has that ever ended 'well' for the civilian? Never!

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Some of what you say is true, yet I think people of this generation have become utterly desensitized to violence and loss of life. Of course, if someone from an older generation could chime in on that, it would be nice. Yet, I think that self-absorption has gone to unhealthy levels where people "just don't give a shit" about anyone else.

I do agree we have to be careful about blaming every cop regardless of the context though.

This particular incident was straightforward enough to not leave much doubt.

No, what he says is not true. The reason why no fucks are given is because this guy killed himself. Rather than doing what he was asked to do, he decided to try and fight the cops, then resist arrest, then try to grab for a gun. If somebody does something stupid, on his own volition, how am I supposed to feel "sad" about it?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
The title should have said, "Another day, another guy resisting arrest and trying to take a cop's gun". But that wouldn't fit your agenda now would it.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
More info on this guy. He was an illegal living in LA. He was let go after it was discovered that 1.) He had stolen someone else's identity in France, 2.) France would not accept him after his prison sentence ended for bank robbery. He was then let go and later ended up being wanted by US Federal Marshals for violating the conditions of his parole. Ah the joys of a sanctuary cities brought to you by the folks who support ILLEGAL immigration on the left.

--Man killed by Los Angeles police was wanted by US marshals--

http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/3-officers-in-LA-Skid-Row-death-had-training-on-6111506.php

Using the name Robinet, the man was identified as a French national in 2000 when he was convicted of robbing a Wells Fargo branch and pistol-whipping an employee in an effort to pay for acting classes at the Beverly Hills Playhouse.

That arrest spurred the consulate to provide the man with support, but as he was nearing his release from prison in 2013, officials found another Robinet in France with the same birthdate and discovered the one in the U.S. was an impostor, Cruau said..

Similar to this event an illegal from Guatemala residing in SF got shot by the cops (a day or two before) after he went after them with a knife. This was after they caught him in the act of robbing a bicyclist. Of course the SJW's (social justice warriors) came out in force to condemn the police shooting in SF.

--Neighbors (aka professional protesters in SF, not folks who have to work for a living) furious over fatal police shooting in Mission--

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Man-killed-by-S-F-police-didn-t-speak-English-6110102.php

Last edited: