Another criticism of Obama: excesses with drones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
From a purely practical and logical point of view, drone attacks by far outweigh any other alternative method toward killing our known terrorist enemies.

Those critics who want to disparage this method of taking out terrorists for the most part just want to exploit this program to take a crap on Obama's shiny shoes.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
and if we were using fewer drone strikes, people would be bitching about that too..

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The US wouldn't have to use these drones if they would just mind there own business

Isolationism does not work in a global arena :thumbsdown:

All one needs is a single interaction with the world and someone in the world will get upset.

Apr 27, 2012

All one needs is a single interaction with the world and someone in the world will get upset.

The US started all these problems and only continues to make them worse. I never said anything about isolationism but good job putting words into my mouth

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The US wouldn't have to use these drones if they would just mind there own business

The US started all these problems and only continues to make them worse. I never said anything about isolationism but good job putting words into my mouth

How far back into history should we go to where the US stopped minding their own business.

Even with natural disasters; people still complain about not enough or slowness.

If we do not do anything, someone in the world complains.
If we attempt to straighten out a mess; someone will complain that is is not cleaned up properly; it was done wrong; to expensive; should not have been there, etc.

So the US is dammed if we help; dammed if we ignore.

What is your solutions then based on your initial post.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Pakistan for one is not amused and have cut the Pakistani supply line into Afghanistan. The US alternate supply line is a rail road to the North of Afghanistan. And rail roads, like pipe lines are very easy to blow up. And if that happens or any of the Northern stans says nyet to that railroad, then the only way for the USA to supply Afghanistan will be by super expensive air freight.

Meanwhile everyone in the tribal areas of Pakistan now is hopping mad at Nato and the Pakistani government. Its simply too risky to put human assets on the ground in the tribal areas, and the drones make it even worse.

As it also send a chilling message to every country in the world, never let the USA have a footprint in your country by leasing them a base. Or you will end up like Pakistan.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I applaud the increased use of drone strikes. It took Al Qaeda's asymmetrical model of warfare and shoved it right back up their asses. Al Qaeda is dead and continued vigilance is necessary to ensure that they don't re-emerge. If Pakistan is too chicken to take care of international criminals within their borders, we can do it with drones.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Do you honestly think that Romney would not do it, based on principle? LOL
Perhaps not. Most of the criticism of the Al-awlaki hit and similar action is from the left, and a great deal of that is muted or suppressed because Obama is a progressive Democrat. Romney will face much more strident opposition and consequently will need more intestinal fortitude, and will need to spend more political capital, to maintain the same aggressive level of drone strikes. It's quite possible (at least in my opinion) that a President Romney will be unwilling or unable to maintain the same aggression in the War Against Islamic Terrorists as has Obama. I certainly hope that, should we have a President Romney, he will prosecute this war in Obama's image, but I can recognize the factors arguing against it.

Pakistan for one is not amused and have cut the Pakistani supply line into Afghanistan. The US alternate supply line is a rail road to the North of Afghanistan. And rail roads, like pipe lines are very easy to blow up. And if that happens or any of the Northern stans says nyet to that railroad, then the only way for the USA to supply Afghanistan will be by super expensive air freight.

Meanwhile everyone in the tribal areas of Pakistan now is hopping mad at Nato and the Pakistani government. Its simply too risky to put human assets on the ground in the tribal areas, and the drones make it even worse.

As it also send a chilling message to every country in the world, never let the USA have a footprint in your country by leasing them a base. Or you will end up like Pakistan.
This didn't make any sense until I realized that "everyone in the tribal areas of Pakistan now is hopping mad at Nato and the Pakistani government" actually means "everyone in the tribal areas of Pakistan has been hopping mad at everyone and everything outside of the tribal areas of Pakistan for at least the last 1,400 years" and that "you will end up like Pakistan" actually means "you will be richer but still a hopeless cesspool of buffoonish ass hattery awaiting the nozzle when G-d decides to give the world an enema." Good post, just initially confusing.

I applaud the increased use of drone strikes. It took Al Qaeda's asymmetrical model of warfare and shoved it right back up their asses. Al Qaeda is dead and continued vigilance is necessary to ensure that they don't re-emerge. If Pakistan is too chicken to take care of international criminals within their borders, we can do it with drones.
Well said.

Apr 27, 2012
How far back into history should we go to where the US stopped minding their own business.

Even with natural disasters; people still complain about not enough or slowness.

If we do not do anything, someone in the world complains.
If we attempt to straighten out a mess; someone will complain that is is not cleaned up properly; it was done wrong; to expensive; should not have been there, etc.

So the US is dammed if we help; dammed if we ignore.

What is your solutions then based on your initial post.

They should have stopped going into these wars. They should have went after bin laden but not nation building though and they shouldn't have went into Iraq or Libya, Iran, Syria

They could have prevented the 9/11 attacks as well

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
They should have stopped going into these wars. They should have went after bin laden but not nation building though and they shouldn't have went into Iraq or Libya, Iran, Syria

I agree -- Iraq was a huge mistake on multiple counts and should NEVER have been done. Fortunately we eventually turned the corner there and at least in Afghanistan, we've pretty much destroyed Al Qaeda and achieved our goal there so IMO, we should leave as soon as possible and rely on cruise missiles and further drone strikes to mop up any trouble.

Apr 27, 2012
I agree -- Iraq was a huge mistake on multiple counts and should NEVER have been done. Fortunately we eventually turned the corner there and at least in Afghanistan, we've pretty much destroyed Al Qaeda and achieved our goal there so IMO, we should leave as soon as possible and rely on cruise missiles and further drone strikes to mop up any trouble.

The only reason we left Iraq was for Iran though, so it doesn't change much

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It will happen later, they lied about Iraq just like there doing with Iran. They have to keep the Military Industrial Complex busy

And how precisely do you envision us getting Iran? A land based war isn't practical, there isn't a strong sentiment for raising a army of two million fighting men. If we did we could defeat their military and then what? Iran can't be ruled, civil unrest would make taking resources impossible. Trillions of dollars and nothing to show for it. Even Bush wasn't that stupid.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
And how precisely do you envision us getting Iran? A land based war isn't practical, there isn't a strong sentiment for raising a army of two million fighting men. If we did we could defeat their military and then what? Iran can't be ruled, civil unrest would make taking resources impossible. Trillions of dollars and nothing to show for it. Even Bush wasn't that stupid.

We wouldn't need a 2 million man Army to defeat Iran. We would establish air superiority immediately (no real resistance other than SAMs) and wreck all their tanks. Then we could massacre them like the Syrians are massacring the insurgents in their country.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Well, here is one way to cut down the collateral damage....just declare all adult males to me militants by default, so they aren't collateral damage anymore! Brilliant! o_O

Link

It is also because Mr. Obama embraced a disputed method for counting civilian casualties that did little to box him in. It in effect counts all military-age males in a strike zone as combatants, according to several administration officials, unless there is explicit intelligence posthumously proving them innocent.

So basically all adult males are presumed militants and guilty. Of course the government reserves the right to admit that the so-called "militants" are actually innocent after they are dead, like that really means anything at that point.

That is some serious WTF logic right there.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
We wouldn't need a 2 million man Army to defeat Iran. We would establish air superiority immediately (no real resistance other than SAMs) and wreck all their tanks. Then we could massacre them like the Syrians are massacring the insurgents in their country.

You can defeat their army but to occupy it is an entirely different story. That was one of the many mistakes made by GWB as it was assumed that we'd be loved and people would throw flowers at us. That was curiously lacking. We might be able to get away with half that but if one is going to engage in such a war it's best to expect the best but prepare for the worst.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The question is and remains, has Iraq turned any corners? As Iraqi stability is far wider than it is deep. And given the fact that the current Iraqi Maliki government is facing a series of no confidence votes, that plus the the fact Iraq still does not have a stable functioning government, simply means its premature to conclude Iraq has turned any corners.

Its still likely, IMHO, that Iraq could descend into a full fledged civil war that may spill past Iraqi borders. And now that US combat troops have no footprint inside Iraq, the USA can only watch and hope. As various Iraqi sectarian militias still retain their caches of arms.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Well, here is one way to cut down the collateral damage....just declare all adult males to me militants by default, so they aren't collateral damage anymore! Brilliant! o_O

Link

So basically all adult males are presumed militants and guilty. Of course the government reserves the right to admit that the so-called "militants" are actually innocent after they are dead, like that really means anything at that point.

That is some serious WTF logic right there.
Agreed, but probably not unique to Obama. In any case, the civilian deaths are the same either way, regardless of the attempt to deflect criticism for them, so while this is indeed some WTF logic, I can't see that it really changes anything.

By the way, even though I disagree with you I give you kudos for maintaining a principled position even when it's a lefty in charge.

You can defeat their army but to occupy it is an entirely different story. That was one of the many mistakes made by GWB as it was assumed that we'd be loved and people would throw flowers at us. That was curiously lacking. We might be able to get away with half that but if one is going to engage in such a war it's best to expect the best but prepare for the worst.
We were loved in Iraq when we first came in, once people really believed that Saddam was overthrown. Then people realized that their lives still sucked. We had a great war plan (thanks, Tommy Franks!) but virtually no sensible planning for the occupation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The question is and remains, has Iraq turned any corners? As Iraqi stability is far wider than it is deep. And given the fact that the current Iraqi Maliki government is facing a series of no confidence votes, that plus the the fact Iraq still does not have a stable functioning government, simply means its premature to conclude Iraq has turned any corners.

Its still likely, IMHO, that Iraq could descend into a full fledged civil war that may spill past Iraqi borders. And now that US combat troops have no footprint inside Iraq, the USA can only watch and hope. As various Iraqi sectarian militias still retain their caches of arms.
In my opinion, a moderately stable or even unstable non-evil Iraq is far superior to a stable evil Iraq.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

You're right, Syria looks super stable. We should definitely emulate that.