Another crazy statement by an al-Qaeda leader

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Yet more proof that us leaving Iraq, Afghanistan and the entire Middle East will not make these crazies happy.

After reading stories like this how can we afford to not stay in Iraq and Afghanistan as long as it takes to win.
As much as the idea of staying in these countries sucks, I would much rather fight these guys over there than here.
How do we deal with crazies like this besides trying to hunt down and kill them?

DUBAI (Reuters) - A man believed to be a top al Qaeda militant who escaped from a U.S. jail near Kabul was shown in a new videotape broadcast on Tuesday exhorting followers in Afghanistan to fight on until they attack the White House.

"Allah will not be pleased until we reach the rooftop of the White House," Abu Yahya al-Libi was shown telling fighters in the tape aired by the Dubai-based Al-Arabiya television.

The channel said the tape was one-hour long, showing footage of Libi urging fighters to train hard and even to try to acquire nuclear technology.

"You have to get well prepared by starting with exercise, and then you have to learn how to use technology until you are capable of nuclear weapons," he said.

Libi was shown in the footage bearded and wearing a long grey Muslim robe while standing in front of a group of fighters.

Libi is believed to be the alias of Libyan Mohammad Hassan who along with three other al Qaeda militants broke out of the U.S. jail at Bagram Air Base last year.

Analysts say he is an influential militant preacher, better known for recruiting fighters than for actual combat.

Arabiya said the authenticity of the tape could not be verified, but experts had told its bureau in Afghanistan the video was filmed in the southeast of the country.

British troops in Iraq said in September they killed one of the four al Qaeda escapees -- Omar Faruq, one of Osama bin Laden's top lieutenants -- in the city of Basra.
Link to reuters article

BTW: did this make the nightly news or any other MSM site? Not listed as a "top story" on yahoo, although the finding of "big camels" is... nice.
No sign on google news either.

Can we please keep this from turning into a Bush bashing thread and instead focus on these statements and what the long term implications of having to fight these guys is.

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
So does that mean even if we "win" in Iraq, whatever that means, they will still attack us?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Yet more proof that us leaving Iraq, Afghanistan and the entire Middle East will not make these crazies happy.

Well.. they were supposedly were already angry at us - remember 9/11 .. then we went in and killed 50,000 plus more of them *.005% might have had something to do with 9/11 .. did you think that was going to make them leave us alone? - Why shouldn't it just bring revenge.. or is 50,000 for 3,000 some equal number

Tell us all why they shouldn't attack us some more after what we have done to their countries and their peoples?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
We'll have to deal with those crazies, well, at least the less crazy ones amongst them who would be willing to deal with us, if we are to have any hope of winning. They are never going to run out of crazies out there, and you gotta fight fire with fire.
I think Russian model in Chechnya is a not perfect but semi-working example, find one of the warlords there, make him a local dictator, give him money and arms, step back and let him kill the even more whacky radicals. You know, kind of like what we had with Saddam.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I am still trying to figure out what we will "win" with this war. I doubt we will even get a cupie doll.

The concept that we are fighting them over there and not here is getting a little old. An awful lot of them become committed to fighting us for our actions there and they are getting some great OJT in the meantime. When they are good and ready, we will see them come.

The Vietnamese lost far more people than have been lost in the M.E. and never quit. And they were only driven by a political ideology.

They will never quit under the present circumstances (us staying the course). Hopefully, somewhere, someone with the necessary wisdom and insight will rise to the occasion and chart a new course that will lead to peace and co-operation.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I'm scared.

we need to "win," all it will take to get rid of those crazies is if we "win."

everybody pray that we will "win."

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Stop posting nonsense threads... we don't post EVERY stupid thing that Bush says and he is the president... there are lots of nuts out there... their individual nonsense does nothing to justify a war..

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The very fact that this mofo is saying anything is yet more proof how poorly Bush has executed the WoT.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Winning in Iraq doesn't do a single thing to confront terrorism. If we had been greeted with flowers et al, Al-Qaeda would still be out there, ya know why?

BECAUSE AL-QAEDA WAS NOT IN IRAQ TO BEGIN WITH.

In the meantime, the real central front in the war on terror, Afghanistan has been floundering because of inadequate support from us.

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: M00T

The OP's article is uplifting for the Iraqi people but nothing more than political propaganda here in the United States.

Which of course is why he posted it

(Uncle Karl is really riding you about P&N not being "on message", eh PJ? :D)

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Are we really supposed to take seriously all of the various propoganda coming out of AQ? They say all sorts of crazy sh!t, all the time. And so?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

So what's your answer?

Kill another 655,000 Iraqi civillians???

Kill an equal number of Afghanis???

Kill an equal number in the rest of the Middle East?

Will that make them not want to come over and flatten the Whitehouse????

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa
I am still trying to figure out what we will "win" with this war.
I'm still trying to figure out what the crazy who posted this thread means by "these crazies" and "those guys." Is he referring to the crazies using their religion as an excuse to stir up mass hatered, or is he referring to all Islamic people?

I hope it's not the latter, but his op post isn't clear, and his past posts aren't any more coherent.

Of course, we should deal similarly with the crazy in the White House starting wars based on lies and killing people in the other crazies' countries in the name of his religion?
Can we please keep this from turning into a Bush bashing thread and instead focus on these statements and what the long term implications of having to fight these guys is.
Addressing your statements is not possible without addressing the fact that our own chickenhawk Bushwhacko crazies are as much a cause of the current world crisis as the Islamic crazies.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

After reading stories like this how can we afford to not stay in Iraq and Afghanistan as long as it takes to win.
As much as the idea of staying in these countries sucks, I would much rather fight these guys over there than here.
How do we deal with crazies like this besides trying to hunt down and kill them?

DUBAI (Reuters) - A man believed to be a top al Qaeda militant who escaped from a U.S. jail near Kabul was shown in a new videotape broadcast on Tuesday exhorting followers in Afghanistan to fight on until they attack the White House.

"Allah will not be pleased until we reach the rooftop of the White House," Abu Yahya al-Libi was shown telling fighters in the tape aired by the Dubai-based Al-Arabiya television.

The channel said the tape was one-hour long, showing footage of Libi urging fighters to train hard and even to try to acquire nuclear technology.

"You have to get well prepared by starting with exercise, and then you have to learn how to use technology until you are capable of nuclear weapons," he said.

Libi was shown in the footage bearded and wearing a long grey Muslim robe while standing in front of a group of fighters.

Libi is believed to be the alias of Libyan Mohammad Hassan who along with three other al Qaeda militants broke out of the U.S. jail at Bagram Air Base last year.

Analysts say he is an influential militant preacher, better known for recruiting fighters than for actual combat.

Arabiya said the authenticity of the tape could not be verified, but experts had told its bureau in Afghanistan the video was filmed in the southeast of the country.

British troops in Iraq said in September they killed one of the four al Qaeda escapees -- Omar Faruq, one of Osama bin Laden's top lieutenants -- in the city of Basra.
Link to reuters article

BTW: did this make the nightly news or any other MSM site? Not listed as a "top story" on yahoo, although the finding of "big camels" is... nice.
No sign on google news either.

Well, this thread was put to bed by BDB, the very first poster, with his powerfully insightful and incisive remark but I will comment on how I think we should fight the crazies:

I can't be very specific because I haven't devoted the required energies to acquire the kind of detailed knowledge to know ones enemies sufficient to mount an intelligent response to an ideological or religious enemy, if you will, but that, I think, is exactly what should be done. Now since I know almost nothing about Islam, I can't guarantee there are answers there, but I feel rather confident that Islam is or should be and was intended to be a religion of life and compassion. I, therefore, would first want to get to the truth of that religion, to know what it is really about. I think the idea that to give up the life we were given to live for the sake of some virgins is anti-life and anti-religion and I would want to see if I could support that view in the Koran. I would fight a religion of death with hope and love of life. I know that we are all born in the image of God and that God does not commit suicide. God exists and expresses himself through the love of life, not its extinction. I would also want to be sure that the affairs of our nation reflect that same love because it is the duty of all good men to resist evil.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

no, really? wow! Aren't they all, regardless of ideology or creed?