Another Covid booster approved for 65+ and for the immune-compromised

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Covid news has pretty much disappeared but 250 people a day are still dying from it in the US.

So...

the CDC updated its recommendations to allow for an additional bivalent booster for people 65 and older (has to have been at least 4 months since your last one) or who have weakened immune systems (has to have been at least 2 months since your last one.) The FDA had already okayed it.

I don't know how soon local sites will have it available. I guess everyone will just have to check their own.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They seem to be leaning to pushing out updated shots for everyone concurrent with the flu vaccine campaign in the fall. I'll just take both shots at he same time from now on.

A combo mRNA COVID/influenza vaccine would be nice some day.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Thanks for posting. I take immune-suppressing medication. While I'm relatively young and (otherwise) healthy, I'll take all the boosters I can get to tip the odds in my favor
👍

I'm relatively old and relatively healthy and I, too, will take all the boosters I can get in that effort to tip the odds in my favor. Both my husband and I have had 5 shots and so far we have remained COVID free.

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Effective this month, Medicare added coverage for the following immunizations.
  • Shingles
  • Tetanus/diphtheria (Td)
  • Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (whooping cough) (Tdap)
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
Last time I checked, my cost for shingles shot was almost $200, each.

Dec 10, 2005
They seem to be leaning to pushing out updated shots for everyone concurrent with the flu vaccine campaign in the fall. I'll just take both shots at he same time from now on.

A combo mRNA COVID/influenza vaccine would be nice some day.
That would be nice to have a combo shot, but I'm fine with it being two separate ones - you can still get them simultaneously. Last September, I just had both shots in the same arm. Felt like garbage later the next day, but the flu shot alone usually makes me fatigued, so it wasn't totally unexpected. And it got both out of the way, saving me one day of potential suffering from my immune system responding to another vaccine (if I had done them on separate days).

Reactions: dank69

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That would be nice to have a combo shot, but I'm fine with it being two separate ones - you can still get them simultaneously. Last September, I just had both shots in the same arm. Felt like garbage later the next day, but the flu shot alone usually makes me fatigued, so it wasn't totally unexpected. And it got both out of the way, saving me one day of potential suffering from my immune system responding to another vaccine (if I had done them on separate days).

Well part of my hope for an mRNA flu vaccine is that since they can wait longer for strain selection it can be more effective. I get the flu shot ever year and a couple years where they missed I got sick twice.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
  • Shingles
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
Great news for me-shingles is the only major vaccine I'm missing. I had discussed getting it with my pharmacist in Dec and she suggested that I hold off till this year so I don't face two deductibles (shingles vaccine is two shots). I got the hepatitis A vaccine in Feb (planning an overseas trip, recommended by our travel doctor) and it was fully overs by our medicare coverage so maybe that coverage started earlier. Yellow fever vaccine also was fully covered and that is an expensive one.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
  • Shingles
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
So good to hear about the shingles vaccine. Last time I checked, it was going to be about $800 for the 4 shots for the 2 of us. I like $0 better.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Covid news has pretty much disappeared but 250 people a day are still dying from it in the US.

So...

the CDC updated its recommendations to allow for an additional bivalent booster for people 65 and older (has to have been at least 4 months since your last one) or who have weakened immune systems (has to have been at least 2 months since your last one.) The FDA had already okayed it.

I don't know how soon local sites will have it available. I guess everyone will just have to check their own.

Been checking Kaiser. Nothing yet.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
  • Shingles
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
You got a good deal then.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Great news for me-shingles is the only major vaccine I'm missing. I had discussed getting it with my pharmacist in Dec and she suggested that I hold off till this year so I don't face two deductibles (shingles vaccine is two shots). I got the hepatitis A vaccine in Feb (planning an overseas trip, recommended by our travel doctor) and it was fully overs by our medicare coverage so maybe that coverage started earlier. Yellow fever vaccine also was fully covered and that is an expensive one.
Shingles is the big one I've yet to get. I got Hep B through the county as a volunteer firefighter/first responder a decade or so ago. Probably need to check if I need it again. Wife got her Shingles as she is covered through a state retirement Advantage Plan as part of her retirement bennies.

PS. If you are on Medicare, you still have until mid-May to get no cost at home Covid tests through Medicare. This is about $100 worth of tests, as they seem to average about $25 per box, each with 2 tests included.

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi and Thump553

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Been checking Kaiser. Nothing yet.
My shingles shots (Shingrix) were $0, from Kaiser.
There was an initial waiting list of nearly a year to get the first shot and it took 4 months or so to get my second shot.

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Ohman… I have had two J&J shots. I better check and see if there is another booster available for those.

Reactions: Meghan54

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
My shingles shots were $0, from Kaiser.
There was an initial waiting list of nearly a year to get the first shot and it took 4 months or so to get my second shot.
I got my first one before I retired and was on Medicare, that was not as effective as the later shingles vaccine, so I saw what was billed to my coverage, it was almost $300.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Since I heard of it I've been trying to get my 2nd bivalent booster. It's been ~7.5 months since my first. I'm traveling to see my family for the first time since before the pandemic on May 12, so I want to get boosted ASAP.

My HMO says they can't yet, local agencies have to approve. Pharmacies, OTOH, according to what I saw online aren't so restricted, they can go off federal guidelines and those are a go. So, I made an appointment with CVS for Tuesday (they were unsure yesterday if they could, so I went out a few days for my appt), then set one for Thursday at Costco pharmacy, just in case. I will cancel that if CVS comes through. I want the shot at least 2 weeks before I travel.

Reactions: iRONic

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Shingles is the big one I've yet to get. I got Hep B through the county as a volunteer firefighter/first responder a decade or so ago. Probably need to check if I need it again. Wife got her Shingles as she is covered through a state retirement Advantage Plan as part of her retirement bennies.

PS. If you are on Medicare, you still have until mid-May to get no cost at home Covid tests through Medicare. This is about $100 worth of tests, as they seem to average about $25 per box, each with 2 tests included.
Based on that I just ordered 4 at home tests from my HMO (Kaiser P). Their site offered a choice... get them from the government or from them (you pick the button to click). I have no idea why I should pick one over the other but since I got all the ones before from the government I clicked from the HMO. I am on Medicare. It said I'd get them in ~4 days by mail. No charges.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I waited too late to get the shingrix vaccine. I got shingles on the right side of my face, including my right eye, back in 2018. I recognized it early and went to my doctor to start treatment. My right eye has never fully recovered and will not according to the eye doctor. I go to a cornea special at least once a year to keep any eye on it (pun intended). I also developed a grade 2-3 cataract in that eye. I asked the eye doctor why it's worse than the left eye. She said it's usually caused by having to use strong steroid eye drops when I had the shingles.

Thanks for the new bivalent booster news.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I waited too late to get the shingrix vaccine. I got shingles on the right side of my face, including my right eye, back in 2018. I recognized it early and went to my doctor to start treatment. My right eye has never fully recovered and will not according to the eye doctor. I go to a cornea special at least once a year to keep any eye on it (pun intended). I also developed a grade 2-3 cataract in that eye. I asked the eye doctor why it's worse than the left eye. She said it's usually caused by having to use strong steroid eye drops when I had the shingles.
I was offered the Shingrx vaccine the other day when a guy from my HMO (Kaiser P) called to cancel my appt to get my 2nd bivalent covid booster (said they weren't approved by local agencies yet). I said I'd wait instead of taking the long bike ride until I could get both together. I guess I should get Shingrx ASAP, actually, but my 1st priority right now is the covid booster because I'm traveling in about 3 weeks to see extended family.

I had shingles in 1993, but the guy on the phone 2 days ago said I was at risk because of my age regardless and that the shingles vaccine I took maybe ~7 years ago isn't in the same league as the Shingrx vaccine, which gives ~80% immunity after one dose and ~97% immunity after the 2nd dose. I saw a post online the other day saying it's probably not a good idea to get covid booster and shingrx on the same day, but that might not apply to me. I have had extremely good luck with vaccines. Anyway, I'll wait for the shingrx until after I'm covid boosted, probably get it from Kaiser (pretty sure it's free there). Costco said they'd charge me over $175 for it.

PS At CDC's website it says:

Medicare​

• Starting in 2023, people with Medicare Part D coverage will pay nothing out-of-pocket for the Shingrix vaccine.

Reactions: iRONic and Captante

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Thanks for the new bivalent booster news.
My 7th grade math teacher got it, and she was gone for most of the school year. When she came back she had a scab on her face. Definitely affected my motivation to get that protection since I'm old enough that there was no vaccination for Chickenpox and you basically exposed yourself on purpose to get it over with in those days.

Reactions: Muse and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have type II diabetes (controlled) so I'm considered "immune-compromised" and I'll be getting a booster ASAP @ my local CVS.

At this point I'm inclined to stick with Moderna if that still matters. :)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was offered the Shingrx vaccine the other day when a guy from my HMO (Kaiser P) called to cancel my appt to get my 2nd bivalent covid booster (said they weren't approved by local agencies yet). I said I'd wait instead of taking the long bike ride until I could get both together. I guess I should get Shingrx ASAP, actually, but my 1st priority right now is the covid booster because I'm traveling in about 3 weeks to see extended family.

I had shingles in 1993, but the guy on the phone 2 days ago said I was at risk because of my age regardless and that the shingles vaccine I took maybe ~7 years ago isn't in the same league as the Shingrx vaccine, which gives ~80% immunity after one dose and ~97% immunity after the 2nd dose. I saw a post online the other day saying it's probably not a good idea to get covid booster and shingrx on the same day, but that might not apply to me. I have had extremely good luck with vaccines. Anyway, I'll wait for the shingrx until after I'm covid boosted, probably get it from Kaiser (pretty sure it's free there). Costco said they'd charge me over $175 for it.

PS At CDC's website it says:

Medicare​

• Starting in 2023, people with Medicare Part D coverage will pay nothing out-of-pocket for the Shingrix vaccine.
ATM I am scheduled to get 2nd bivalent covid booster April 25 at pharmacy. Made appt this morning for May 4 to get my Shingrx shot #1 at my HMO. Both should be free.

I made a 2nd appt for the covid booster at different pharmacy two days later in case the first flakes on me. I want to make sure I get it 2+ weeks before my trip to see family. I'll cancel the 2nd if the first works out.

Odd thing is the online questionnaire had a dropdown list for how many covid shots I've had:

Don't know

I've had 5!

Feb. 2021
Mar. 2021
Oct. 2021
Mar. 2022
Sept. 2022

I picked the closest one, 4. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There is a new strain of Covid, its called Arcturus. It adds a new symptom. VERY high fever.

It's getting its footprint, it's early.