Another Classified document leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Link

Charlie Savage has a copy of (or was allowed to view, or was verbally informed of) the Classified memo explaining why it was OK to kill a US citizen.

I eagerly await all the people that condemned Wikileaks and wanted them all arrested and/or killed to post their support for an investigation into who leaked this information to a <gasp!> journalist.

Any bets that nothing will happen, since it was almost certainly leaked to help the governments position? Gotta love these anonymous sourced articles that always show up somehow defending what the government says. And no one goes to jail for those. Hmm....propaganda at it's finest.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I agree that "leaked" information supporting a government position or action never results in prosecution or action. When someone leaks something the government doesn't like, then they go after the leak source. That's how the propaganda works.

That said, I fail to see the problem with killing al-awlaki. We are at war with al qaeda, he was actively engaged in the fight against the US. As such, he's fair game and does not deserve any more "due process" than any enemy soldier that gets shot and killed on the battlefield.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
So as an American citizen you do not want to be killed in a foreign land by the U.S. government... well for starters DO NOT join Al-Qaeda. But if you really, really feel you must join a known terrorist organization... DO NOT assist in plots to bomb airliners. And if you insist on assisting the planning of terrorist attacks against airliners... DO NOT be a mouthpiece of Al-Qaeda... it will bring you unwanted attention.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
Link

Charlie Savage has a copy of (or was allowed to view, or was verbally informed of) the Classified memo explaining why it was OK to kill a US citizen.

I eagerly await all the people that condemned Wikileaks and wanted them all arrested and/or killed to post their support for an investigation into who leaked this information to a <gasp!> journalist.

Any bets that nothing will happen, since it was almost certainly leaked to help the governments position? Gotta love these anonymous sourced articles that always show up somehow defending what the government says. And no one goes to jail for those. Hmm....propaganda at it's finest.

there's a huge difference between wikileaks and a real journalist. just wanted to add that.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
there's a huge difference between wikileaks and a real journalist. just wanted to add that.

What is the difference? Someone that had access to classified material gave it to someone that is not allowed access to classified material. Sounds like a clear cut crime to me. Except that is helps the government case, so they will look the other way and do nothing.

Who cares if it is a journalist, wikileaks, you, me, whoever?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Link

All of the arguments presented by the leaked article I gave myself in those threads where idealistic dreamers were screaming the killing was illegal. All of them were vigorously denied and ignored. Now leaked documents make the same arguments as I did and suddenly it's all propaganda. We can easily see then, that propaganda is truth that goes against your absurd opinion.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005

Typical npj troll. Everyone knows you don't care about the law.

Funny, you said this:
Manning should spend a long long time in jail for his actions that directly threatened the lives of multiple Americans and those who are risking their lives to work with us.

In a lot of other countries he would be executed for his actions.

Why am I not surprised that you don't care about punishment for this classified leak? It supports extra-legal actions you support.

I mean, you post a zillion posts per day, you really don't have time to post how this person should be found and punished? I mean, really, leaking classified terrorsit information in a time of war?

Your (and all the others) hypocrisy is once again on view for all to see.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
The legal analysis, in essence, concluded that Mr. Awlaki could be legally killed, if it was not feasible to capture him, because intelligence agencies said he was taking part in the war between the United States and Al Qaeda and posed a significant threat to Americans, as well as because Yemeni authorities were unable or unwilling to stop him.

That's basicly the way I heard it explained. I believe it is part of the Patriot Act.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
The guy is a terrorist who was waging a war against the US from another country.

What do you suggest we should have done?

Again, I may be giving you too much credit for reading ability, but you did read the OP? Specifically, what I said about someone leaking classified material during "time of war"?

You have ignored my question. where is your comment and demand for a federal investigation into the leaking of classified documents?

You certainly supported Manning's arrest, where is your support for finding and arresting this guy?

Everyone is commenting on what they want to , but everyone ignores the reality: Someone leaked classified information, and for political purposes. And yet no one cares, apparently since it helps them feel better.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
You certainly supported Manning's arrest, where is your support for finding and arresting this guy?

Manning was easy to arrest. A predator strike on him was considered but he was surrounded by other US soldiers, so the collateral damage was judged too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.