another chemical plant explosion in TEXAS, why am I not surprised?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
That's just your emotions talking. Texas has long had an issue with lax regulation and enforcement of regulations of the petrochemical industry.

Why would I be emotional about it? People are openly accepting ONE particular assumption and use it to criticize lax regulation and free markets before any link to regulations has been shown. Anyone who points it out by using a similarly flawed logical assumption to point out the previous assumption gets the responses you see above. Clear case of the pot calling the kettle black on both sides, though one was clearly deliberate in order to make a point about the other.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Why would I be emotional about it? People are openly accepting ONE particular assumption and use it to criticize lax regulation and free markets before any link to regulations has been shown. Anyone who points it out by using a similarly flawed logical assumption to point out the previous assumption gets the responses you see above. Clear case of the pot calling the kettle black on both sides, though one was clearly deliberate in order to make a point about the other.

I don't know why you're emotional about it, but you seem to be. You have to ask your self that question.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I don't know why you're emotional about it, but you seem to be. You have to ask your self that question.
It's imagined to justify another dismissive post without addressing what was said. Clearly.

Ask yourself why you replied at all.

Nov 25, 2013
Do you see people implying the free market and lack of regulations must be to blame simply because they aren't being regulated to the max?

He sure does. Calling out his nonsense argument only points back to the original nonsense argument it was crafted in response to, and I don't see you calling those out.

Regulation in Texas *is* lax, both in actual regulation and enforcement at both the federal and state level.

Some articles:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Regulation in Texas *is* lax, both in actual regulation and enforcement at both the federal and state level.

Some articles:

*woosh*

Nov 8, 2012
Remember the West fertilizer explosion?
Regulations were changed after that

Did you... uhh... did you happened to read anything?

How about this ONE TINY PARTICULAR GEM.

The ATF announced on May 11, 2016, that the fire that led to the explosion was intentionally set.

Man - if only we had regulations that could prevent people from starting fires... like... vandalism laws that will criminalize it? I mean just pass that law and these things won't happen! It's that simple!

Nov 8, 2012
Do you see people implying the free market and lack of regulations must be to blame simply because they aren't being regulated to the max?

He sure does. Calling out his nonsense argument only points back to the original nonsense argument it was crafted in response to, and I don't see you calling those out.

If only the government ran things instead of free market with regulations, none of this would happen.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

Man - if only we had regulations that could prevent people from starting fires... like... vandalism laws that will criminalize it? I mean just pass that law and these things won't happen! It's that simple!
if they had tighter regs at the time of the explosion maybe it would have been harder to start the fire to begin with.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Yes I'm sure regulations will stop all accidents.
if they had tighter regs at the time of the explosion maybe it would have been harder to start the fire to begin with.
Exactly. "Maybe."

The problem is that the criticisms he responded to presumed "absolutely" instead of "maybe" or else they were complete non sequiturs. That's why he responded with their underlying premise, exposing that presumption.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

We have a bunch of regulations at my work to lessen the danger of accidental and deliberate fires.

Nov 8, 2012
We have a bunch of regulations at my work to lessen the danger of accidental and deliberate fires.

My mom (now retired) was a chemical engineer that had to go to oil and gas refineries and terminals to audit for all kinds of regulations and filing requirements.

If you think there is a lack of regulations, you're just clearly ill-informed and I guarantee have never step foot in these types of jobs.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
My mom (now retired) was a chemical engineer that had to go to oil and gas refineries and terminals to audit for all kinds of regulations and filing requirements.

If you think there is a lack of regulations, you're just clearly ill-informed and I guarantee have never step foot in these types of jobs.
In again confused by your lack of clarity on what you are actually arguing in this thread.
There are too many regulations? Regulations dont work? We need more regulations?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I bet none of the executives live within 20 miles of their own plant, completely coincidentally.