Another casualty in the war on Obama

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
The cost to benefit ratio only ever appealed to liberals. Why didn't you all run out to buy one?
There it is in a nutshell. Faced with failure, progressives again turn to bashing "the enemy". Blame is always placed at the feet of someone else, it's never met head on.

You wanted it, you got it, why didn't you buy it?

The right hates it because it took boatloads of taxpayer dollars to bring it to market, and it took boatloads of taxpayer dollars in the form of incentives to sell the few that did. Anyone with half a brain knew it was doomed to fail.

Hell, it would probably be cheaper to buy half a brain for progressives so we can nip these things in the bud from now on.

Imagine an administration pinning their hopes on electric cars while making electricity costs skyrocket at the same time. It's insanity to everyone but the progressive left. Progressives, grow-the-fuck-up. We can't afford to humor you anymore, we can't afford to keep trying to fulfill your childish desires. It's time for some tough love. You'll drag us all over the cliff if we let you and then you'll blame us for it.

Oct 16, 1999
Oh look, here's Rush weighing in:
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2011/12/06/regime_covered_up_chevy_volt_dangers
GM trying to kill their costumers. I find it utterly shocking that all these attacks are coming from rightwing media sources, yet all the automotive media sources I find have overwhelmingly very positive things to say about the car. Yes, the rightwing conspiracy against the Volt is clearly tinfoil hat territory.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I just cant get past the price. Hell for that price you could buy a nicely equipped Civic (thats also made in America) and about 150,000 miles worth of gas....

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I think the Volt failed on the basis of price.

OTOH, Righties hate anything Obama does because he's doing it, same as they hated Clinton. It's all identity politics, all the time.

Oct 16, 1999
I think the Volt failed on the basis of price.

OTOH, Righties hate anything Obama does because he's doing it, same as they hated Clinton. It's all identity politics, all the time.

No doubt the price makes it a tough sell. But given how prevalent rightwing media is in "heartbeat of America" country, and how mercilessly they attacked this car, I suspect that had a serious impact on sales as well.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It seems like a market failure - people offered a good product who are not making a good choice.

You can point at marketing, consumers, or the right-wing nonsense.

Chevy is to be complimented for the effort, helping lead the way.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
So are any of you willing to change your position or is this car still "a piece of crap" because it suits your agenda?

A grand total of 7,671 Volts sold last year, so evidently no one is buying them whether conservative, progressive, or any other political viewpoint. If the car was as great as you think it is, then people wouldn't give a damn what the Tea Party people said about it. Companies that are winners in the marketplace don't make up fantasy conspiracy theories when they release a product that's a dud; they take into account the feedback from the market and try again.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
It seems like a market failure - people offered a good product who are not making a good choice.

You can point at marketing, consumers, or the right-wing nonsense.

Chevy is to be complimented for the effort, helping lead the way.

Yeah, blaming the consumer is a great marketing idea.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
liberals only want you to judge them on their intentions not on their endless failed results.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Really fascinating that one can blame the failure of a USA built automobile on politics.

It's not like any other car model has ever failed on its own merits.

Build it and people will buy it.

Fascinating I say.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
liberals only want you to judge them on their intentions not on their endless failed results.

All those bad things... like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, the Civil Rights Act, the bailout ot the US auto industry, WWII...

Unlike the Republicans, with their great policies - trickle down economics, tax cuts for the rich, de-regulation of Wall Street, the Iraq war, trying to repeal the New Deal, etc...

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
So are any of you willing to change your position or is this car still "a piece of crap" because it suits your agenda?

It's a piece of crap because it costs twice as much as a Prius C and only gets marginally better fuel economy.

I don't see your point unless you think anyone capable of doing math is automatically on the far right.

Aside from the cost the volt is also slow, hideous and boring if you needed even more incentive not to get one.

Last edited:

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Look, I know that progressives really, really wanted this car to be a success, and believed in it enough to throw billions of dollars in the direction of a flailing GM. But let's face it, the reality of what got delivered didn't match the reality of what you were sold on. Sorry that you don't have a wondercar to throw in the faces of skeptical conservatives, but maybe this will serve as a lesson to not listen to the silver tongues of snake oil salesmen, whether they be on a used car lot or in the executive boardrooms of Detroit.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Every time I drive my girlfriend to Planned Parenthood for an abortion.

You're probably like me in that the cost and design doesn't fill what you need, so you don't own one. It wasn't a right wing conspiracy, it wasn't the evil Republicans,it was the fact it cost so much and had limited value.