Another blogging question

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
so now that I've starting thinking about all this blogging crap and using at as sort of "virtual baby/scrap book" for our family, I came to the realization that the big problem with blogs is they are temporary.

Is there ANY WAY to archive blogs "forever" so that 20yrs from now if I want to go back and look at what we wrote about our kids on their 4th birthday and when they first did XYZ? I mean, sure if I had the exact same machine and the exact same software running on it I could just plug it in and go... mySQL, PHP, apache, etc etc.... but that seems awfully "iffy" at the very best....

Are there programs, services, something that makes retrieval/archival of blog entries standardized of some nature?

Am I missing something obvious?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
How are blogs temporary, exactly? They're no less permanent than any other type of file stored on hard drives.

As far as the "same machine" comment goes - How many of of have slide projectors, or projectors for home movies stored on reels of film?

Very few, but it doesn't make thte format any less archival. If you want to see what's on your slides, you can still find a projector somewhere, or take them somewhere and pay to have them transferred to a digital format.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
You'd want to keep text archives or something. Also, if you keep your blog running over time, updates will be released all the time so hopefully that should allow it to keep up with modern software, however that means the script will have to be in development for that long as well.

The simple answer is to just keep backups of everything from time to time and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out unless your blogging script allows you to export the posts to text or something.

Edit: Everytime you make a blog, copy and paste the post into a text file, that will be simple.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
use plain text? probably much easier to retrieve than some mysql database 20 years later.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: dighn
use plain text? probably much easier to retrieve than some mysql database 20 years later.

yeah thats the point that many others here seem to miss. I thought about it though and I can jsut create even a simple java script to print them out maybe once a month or spit them to standard txt files to sotre on CD and toss into storage.

Thanks for the suggestions eveyone

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy
Originally posted by: dighn

yeah thats the point that many others here seem to miss. I thought about it though and I can jsut create even a simple java script to print them out maybe once a month or spit them to standard txt files to sotre on CD and toss into storage.

Thanks for the suggestions eveyone

I hope your site doesn't have any pictures if you want to store it as text files.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
its a blog for my kids as they grow... a digital baby book. All the pictures etc are saved regardless with all the other billion pictures I have of freinds/family