Another Bigot & Bogus Businessman To Run For High Office

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Curt Schilling. I loved him when he pitched for the Phillies. I always thought he was criminally underrated. Of course, he never achieved national acclaim until he was traded away.

As a pitcher, he had the heart of a lion. But as a person, he's repeatedly demonstrated the "morals" of one. Now, he says he's thinking of running for Senator as (what else?) a Republican against Elizabeth Warren.

Here's some of the skinny on what he's been up (down?) to since retiring from baseball:

Former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling announced plans on Tuesday to run against Elizabeth Warren in the U.S. Senate race if his wife agrees, but he declined to apologize to Rhode Island taxpayers left on the hook for tens of millions of dollars when his video game company collapsed.

Schilling spoke Tuesday with WPRO-AM, his first interview about 38 Studios since settling a lawsuit over it and since a criminal investigation resulted in no charges.

Democratic Gov. Gina Raimondo has said Rhode Island residents were hurt by the bad deal and deserve an apology.

Schilling said it's not that he won't apologize, but he wants Raimondo to tell him what he should apologize for. He asked listeners: "What do you want me to apologize for?"

[Sound like another candidate for office you know of?]

The company moved from Massachusetts to Rhode Island in 2010 in exchange for a $75 million loan guarantee, then went bankrupt less than two years later.

[...]

Schilling also faulted politicians for giving him a loan guarantee in the first place.

"If I was the governor, I would have never even offered this deal," Schilling said. "The government doesn't belong in private business.
But I'm on the other side of this. My job and responsibility is to my company and to my employees and I was doing everything I could do, within my legal means, to make that be a success."

[Again, ring a bell?]

[...]

Earlier this year Schilling was fired from his job as an ESPN baseball analyst after comments on Facebook critical of transgender rights. He now has an online radio show.

[...]

[Governor] Raimondo said on Tuesday that she's angry because Rhode Islanders were hurt by the 38 Studios deal. She said it wasn't right that "tax dollars vanished on a terrible deal."

Schilling. What a perfect last name for this asswipe.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Still remember a rookie named Soriano hitting him for a 450 feet long home run in game 7 of the world series to dead center field. Randy Johnson saved his ass.

Total pitching farce unlike, Josh Beckett and Pedro Martinez who are 1st ballot HoF'ers.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The shocking part here to me is a state as small as Rhode Island offering 75 million dollars to move in an un-established video game upstart. Whaaaaat?

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The shocking part here to me is a state as small as Rhode Island offering 75 million dollars to move in an un-established video game upstart. Whaaaaat?

I imagine Schilling's "celebrity cred" helped.

sontakke

Aug 8, 2001
He is also using Trump Defence aka "The Governor Let Me Do It" "It was NOT my fault"

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
He's one of the top ten most hated sports personalities. He fits right in with the current republican party.

Reactions: skyking

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Dude would never survive the 38 studios scandal if he ever tried to run for office. But it seems that he is so detached from the things going on around him that he would probably still run.

But he still seems like a rather nice guy despite some astonishingly deplorable social and anti-science policies that he was dabbled with in the past. Dude really should just let the world remember him for the HoF career and bloody sock, and let all of the non baseball stuff fade into barely-remembered status.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Still remember a rookie named Soriano hitting him for a 450 feet long home run in game 7 of the world series to dead center field. Randy Johnson saved his ass.

Total pitching farce unlike, Josh Beckett and Pedro Martinez who are 1st ballot HoF'ers.

wait, what? In what way is Schilling a pitching farce? Josh Beckett is a first balloter? I recall him flaming out way early due to chronic blisters i.e.: not enough seasons to really establish himself. That's like saying Mark Prior is a first balloter (but obviously he never will be in the HoF--I BLAME DUSTY BAKER!)

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Curt Schilling. I loved him when he pitched for the Phillies. I always thought he was criminally underrated. Of course, he never achieved national acclaim until he was traded away.

As a pitcher, he had the heart of a lion. But as a person, he's repeatedly demonstrated the "morals" of one. Now, he says he's thinking of running for Senator as (what else?) a Republican against Elizabeth Warren.

Here's some of the skinny on what he's been up (down?) to since retiring from baseball:

Schilling. What a perfect last name for this asswipe.
Something I was watching last night said at one time he was counted in the 10 most hated baseball players.

Feb 16, 2005
wait, what? In what way is Schilling a pitching farce? Josh Beckett is a first balloter? I recall him flaming out way early due to chronic blisters i.e.: not enough seasons to really establish himself. That's like saying Mark Prior is a first balloter (but obviously he never will be in the HoF--I BLAME DUSTY BAKER!)
dusty broke prior, no other way to explain it, and damn near broke wood.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Pedro is a 1st HOFer, yes, but Josh Beckett? Lololololol. Otoh, not only was Schilling nothing even close to a farce as a pitcher, he's a marginal HOF candidate in my eyes, if for nothing else than some truly transcendent moments and seasons.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
dusty broke prior, no other way to explain it, and damn near broke wood.

Damn, I hate Dusty Baker. Way worse of a human than Curt Shilling. :D

Lucky for Wood that he had already been around for ~5 or 6 seasons before Baker showed up. But damn, what a rotation that team had: Prior, Wood, Zambrano, Clement. Then some dude I forget...

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Pedro is a 1st HOFer, yes, but Josh Beckett? Lololololol. Otoh, not only was Schilling nothing even close to a farce as a pitcher, he's a marginal HOF candidate in my eyes, if for nothing else than some truly transcendent moments and seasons.

Neither got close to 300 wins.

So lets see at the world series stage era.. beckett was unhittable.. remember the 2-0 win against the yanks that clinched it in game 6?

His world series era 1.14

Schilling got pounded by Soriano as I said before and in 2004 he didn't pitch the clincher. It was Johnny Damon's grandslam that pretty much clinched it. Funny thing about Damon is that he had another huge play with the double steal in the 2009 series.

Curt Schilling by all ways and means was above average but not a hall of famer. His world series era is almost 1 more than Josh Beckett. At best he's like David Cone.. same era, roughly same wins, same world series ERA, same amount of all stars.. Cone even had a cy young but they didn't make the HOF.

The only real pitcher I see as a real lock for the HoF in the next 5 years is Mariano Rivera.

And maybe what's that pitcher's name from Toronto that went to the Phillies later one.. he was unhittable.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Neither got close to 300 wins.

So lets see at the world series stage era.. beckett was unhittable.. remember the 2-0 win against the yanks that clinched it in game 6?

His world series era 1.14

Schilling got pounded by Soriano as I said before and in 2004 he didn't pitch the clincher. It was Johnny Damon's grandslam that pretty much clinched it. Funny thing about Damon is that he had another huge play with the double steal in the 2009 series.

Curt Schilling by all ways and means was above average but not a hall of famer. His world series era is almost 1 more than Josh Beckett. At best he's like David Cone.. same era, roughly same wins, same world series ERA, same amount of all stars.. Cone even had a cy young but they didn't make the HOF.

The only real pitcher I see as a real lock for the HoF in the next 5 years is Mariano Rivera.

300 wins is near impossible now, iirc.

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

Josh Beckett a first ballot HOFer? Not even close. He won't even make the Hall.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Josh Beckett a first ballot HOFer? Not even close. He won't even make the Hall.

Maybe but I still remember yankee fans.. they hated schilling but they were more scared of beckett. When beckett was on.. he was scary.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I dunno why Curt should be borderline HoF.. isn't Andy Pettite's resume better?

And what do you think of Roy Halladay?

I think they should be HoF'ers before Curt.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
I dunno why Curt should be borderline HoF.. isn't Andy Pettite's resume better?

And what do you think of Roy Halladay?

I think they should be HoF'ers before Curt.

Schilling has a better shot than Roy.

Last edited: