ANOTHER bad guy with a gun story

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
There might not be quick fixes, but a quick win could be had by ending the war on drugs and treating drugs as a medical issue and not a criminal issue, since drug-war related gun murders make up a significant portion of overall gun murders. Not to mention that jailing non-violent people and taking away their financial future tends to turn them violent.

I am 100% with you on that. End the war on drugs immediately, and move the huge amount of money we are spending on it to treatment of addiction as a medical condition. Use some of that money to help educate people, with real information this time not the fake propaganda we have all been rolling our eyes at for decades, and a lot of our societies problems will improve.

And I hate the idea of jailing people who didn't hurt anyone. Why would you jail someone who used a gun to protect their family?

Because they broke the law. The idea is to discourage people from keeping their gun for that 'what if' situation. You want people to have as little reason as possible to want to own a gun.

I'm actually not a strict ban person, I think there is a middle ground to be found. I think the firearms need to be registered to a owner, require a picture ID with fingerprints be kept with the gun, and have strict penalties for being in possession a firearm not registered to you. I think we need to limit most firearms sells to single action revolvers, bolt action rifles, and breach or pump shotguns. Selling or buying all other firearms require a special license that has enhanced requirements along with higher level background checks and regular renewals. I think all this would fall under the idea of a well regulated militia.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I live less than a mile from the Borderline where 12 people were killed 2 weeks ago. I was on a business trip when this happened and just got back yesterday. When I came home from the airport last night I saw there was a memorial on a street I drive by to get to my house. There were lit candles and people looking at the memorial. Today I was driving home and noticed that the city has blocked off one lane of the road to make room for the memorial. It is going to rain tomorrow and today someone put up tarps over the memorial to protect it from the rain. I will admit that I am a simple guy and appreciate the simple things. The fact that the city would do something to support this memorial and that someone would put tarps over it I think is a beautiful thing and makes me tear up. The respect that is being shown to these innocent people who died way too early is wonderful. I hate the reason for it, but it is truly wonderful.

May this be the last time a memorial like this is ever needed.

img_7720-jpg.734

img_7721-jpg.735

This is from another thread that I posted. I have been back almost a week now and every time that I drive by there is someone there at the memorial.

Quote Reply

Report Edit

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
It has been one month since these 12 people died. The memorial is still here and people still visit it. They city has put up those concrete temporary barriers in the road around the memorial. There is talk of trying of trying to find a permanent place for it.

I have remarked that these shootings become so much more when you are close to them and not just a news headline, so how is this for personal.

My daughter knew someone who was killed at the shooting when she went to UCSB
My daughter heard the gunshots at this shooting.
My daughter's classes were canceled because of a threat at CSUN where she is getting her masters.

CSU-Northridge-Nazi-Graffiti.jpg

Kinda sucks if you ask me.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
well, they can't even do the swastika in the right direction for the nazi symbol.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It has been one month since these 12 people died. The memorial is still here and people still visit it. They city has put up those concrete temporary barriers in the road around the memorial. There is talk of trying of trying to find a permanent place for it.

I have remarked that these shootings become so much more when you are close to them and not just a news headline, so how is this for personal.

My daughter knew someone who was killed at the shooting when she went to UCSB
My daughter heard the gunshots at this shooting.
My daughter's classes were canceled because of a threat at CSUN where she is getting her masters.

CSU-Northridge-Nazi-Graffiti.jpg

Kinda sucks if you ask me.

well, they can't even do the swastika in the right direction for the nazi symbol.

Your average 'street nazi' tends to be not so bright.

Maybe Asian?
https://www.tripsavvy.com/why-are-there-swastikas-all-over-asia-3498922

[edit] Oh. I see. The picture is of the threat.