ANOTHER bad guy with a gun story

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
I was just pointing out it doesn't really matter unless all the states have the same laws. Go try again again

so you are blaming the shooting by a california resident with a california purchased firearm on the laws in, lets say, texas?

that is a very liberal idea

Reactions: hoorah

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well, at least we can now cross out "responsible" and check the "irresponsible" box next to "gun owner" on his post-mortem data sheet.

Distribute some thoughts and prayers, some "nothing-can-be-dones," blame some brown people that were nowhere in the vicinity and of course some generic liberals that actually want to do something about the violence for really being the ones responsible for the violence through their actions to stop the violence.

Morning in America.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Just remember: when mass shootings happen, the golden rule is that nothing must ever be done to gun laws to stop them, even though countries with stricter gun laws mysteriously don't seem to have the same problem.

Jan 25, 2011
Just remember: when mass shootings happen, the golden rule is that nothing must ever be done to gun laws to stop them, even though countries with stricter gun laws mysteriously don't seem to have the same problem.
Now I thought it was if what you're doing won't stop every one of them then it's pointless.

I did notice no one tried to advocate that people at a yoga studio should have been armed after that mass shooting though. So that's progress... right?

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
even though countries with stricter gun laws mysteriously don't seem to have the same problem.

To be fair, there are a bunch of countries with no/unenforced gun laws that also don't have them. There is something unique about going on a murder/suicide rampage that you just don't see anywhere else, outside of religious zealotry. I wish we could discover what that is.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
so you are blaming the shooting by a california resident with a california purchased firearm on the laws in, lets say, texas?

that is a very liberal idea

the obvious answer here is less gun laws

/s

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
TP

Another fucked in the head veteran killing people. Expect it to get worse as we go on 17(?) years of continuous war and a president who uses the military for political gain.

Republicans and gun owners, this is all on you.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
and more guns. Easy peasy.

So Sad

045-1109052949-more-gn.png

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
His posts came off strange, like he was trying to illicit sympathy for being adjacent to the attack.

Sorry I wasn't trying to derail the thread. The news story made me angry and maybe I'm being overly sensitive.
Hey no worries. Ever since my daughter told me that she knew one of the girls who died at the shooting at her school it makes you think differently about these things. You think about these entirely differently when it hits that close to home. Makes you realize that these are people and not just numbers. Also I can tell that most people here have not known anyone personally who has been involved in a shooting. I now have an association with 3 different mass shootings. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think that is just way too many.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
If you like the caravan so much, you can welcome them and future ones into your neighborhood.
Just guessing here, but I believe his point was that the caravan was never ever going to make it across the border in the first place. So not only does he not have to welcome them into his neighborhood, he doesn't have to worry about any of them shooting up his local watering hole either.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Hey no worries. Ever since my daughter told me that she knew one of the girls who died at the shooting at her school it makes you think differently about these things. You think about these entirely differently when it hits that close to home. Makes you realize that these are people and not just numbers. Also I can tell that most people here have not known anyone personally who has been involved in a shooting. I now have an association with 3 different mass shootings. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think that is just way too many.

A lot of us don't need to have first hand experience or know someone who has been killed to understand how ridiculous and tragic this is. Sadly, there are many people here and in this country that require first hand experience before thinking anything needs to be done and they tend to be right leaning.

We are tired of offering our thoughts and prayers, we are tired of being emotional after every shooting and we are tired of having to constantly explain to those who are incapable of empathy how unnecessary and wrong it is for stuff like this to happen in what is supposed to be the greatest country on earth. So you'll have to forgive us if we come off cold and condescending but we've been fighting the good fight for over a decade now.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If you like the caravan so much, you can welcome them and future ones into your neighborhood.

immigrants are, by far, safer and better citizens than your average priveliged white conservative asshole.

It's a simple goddamn fact. Data sits on the side of the truth. Sucks that you don't care. Sucks that your feels put you in a losing battle against the world around you.

But that's your problem.

Hell, I'd rather live next to 1k central american illegals than a single fucking sociopath like SlowSpider. Fuck that obvious asshole, bigoted fake American.

Reactions: Meghan54

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
We are tired of offering our thoughts and prayers, we are tired of being emotional after every shooting and we are tired of having to constantly explain to those who are incapable of empathy

Who are these people incapable of empathy? Do you think the only possible way someone might disagree with your particular solution is if they are socio?

how unnecessary and wrong it is for stuff like this to happen in what is supposed to be the greatest country on earth.

You are right that a lot of this is unnecessary. Some experts predict a reduction of up to 2/3 of gun murders if the war on drugs were ended. That's some damn high-impact low hanging fruit right there. I know, you'll have to temporarily postpone your dream of declaring conservative gun owners felons if they don't give up their guns, but it would get us a lot closer to our shared goal of massively reducing gun murders.

So you'll have to forgive us if we come off cold and condescending but we've been fighting the good fight for over a decade now.

There have been lots of fights of varying degree against guns for over a decade now, not many of them have been good ones. What's your particular flavor of solution?

Reactions: hoorah