Another 5970 card breaks the 300 watt pci-e limit

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
This should be nice for Eyefinity usage.

Two eight pin power connectors make a lot of sense with this card.

Guru3d was able to get 935Mhz out of both cores with the stock 8pin/6pin and reference cooler.

With a triple slot and more juice hopefully this product is able to reach 1000 Mhz cores. I wonder how much extra Sapphire will charge for it?

If this trend continues Nvidia will have no problem doubling up the gtx 480.

You mean the board partners right?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
This should be nice for Eyefinity usage.

Two eight pin power connectors make a lot of sense with this card.

Guru3d was able to get 935Mhz out of both cores with the stock 8pin/6pin and reference cooler.

With a triple slot and more juice hopefully this product is able to reach 1000 Mhz cores. I wonder how much extra Sapphire will charge for it?

You mean the board partners right?

Well the Asus version has two 8 pin connectors and a 6 pin!!

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/03/02...display-at-cebit-competes-with-sapphire-card/

Yes, I meant board partners.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of 4GB HD5970s is Anandtech planning on doing some Multi-monitor gaming reviews/benchmarks?

Maybe a comparison of dual Fermis (using Surround view), HD5970 2GB and HD5970 4GB would be interesting reading.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Sapphire 5970 with two 8 pin connectors.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17873/1/

If this trend continues Nvidia will have no problem doubling up the gtx 480.

I think the difference is that Sapphire and Asus know that these are enthusiast parts, not something OEM's will use. A company like Dell isn't very likely to put a part that breaks spec in their rigs, but a part like this isn't meant for that purpose. I think that's why the 300 watt limit is of importance.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I think the difference is that Sapphire and Asus know that these are enthusiast parts, not something OEM's will use. A company like Dell isn't very likely to put a part that breaks spec in their rigs, but a part like this isn't meant for that purpose. I think that's why the 300 watt limit is of importance.

Makes me wonder how many Dell's they sell with 30 inch monitors and 850 watt+ psu's that these parts are usefull with?
Can't be many.

I think it's safe to assume that dual Fermi's and 5970's are for guys like us.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Makes me wonder how many Dell's they sell with 30 inch monitors and 850 watt+ psu's that these parts are usefull with?
Can't be many.

I think it's safe to assume that dual Fermi's and 5970's are for guys like us.

I doubt they sell very many, at least not when compared to the numbers of computers they sell with lesser video cards. But, they do have XPS and Alienware that may sell some. Whatever the number is, AMD must care enough to stay within the limit.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the power consumption is for Fermi, if it's well over 200 watts it'll be interesting to see what Nvidia does... ignore the limit? Castrate the GPU's to the point they can get power consumption under control? I only see them doing that if they can catch the 5970, though.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I doubt they sell very many, at least not when compared to the numbers of computers they sell with lesser video cards. But, they do have XPS and Alienware that may sell some. Whatever the number is, AMD must care enough to stay within the limit.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the power consumption is for Fermi, if it's well over 200 watts it'll be interesting to see what Nvidia does... ignore the limit? Castrate the GPU's to the point they can get power consumption under control? I only see them doing that if they can catch the 5970, though.

I think a Dual GPU/single PCB Fermi card is going to have a tough time beating HD5970, but then why would anyone buy a dual GPU/single PCB Fermi card anyway? (A person needs two separate Single GPU Fermis to get Nvidia surround view working)

Last edited:

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think that as long as the card draws less than 300W total at whatever clocks it comes out of the box with, it has the blessing of PCI-SIG. If the end user chooses to overclock/overvolt, that's his prerogative. But I don't think a video card can label itself as PCI-E or PCI-E 2.0 compliant unless it comes from the factory at under 300W.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I think that as long as the card draws less than 300W total at whatever clocks it comes out of the box with, it has the blessing of PCI-SIG. If the end user chooses to overclock/overvolt, that's his prerogative. But I don't think a video card can label itself as PCI-E or PCI-E 2.0 compliant unless it comes from the factory at under 300W.

That sounds right.

A stock HD5970 comes with a TDP of 296 watts, but Guru3d was somehow able to get 380 watts through the 6pin/8pin when they overclocked.

Still it appears the special low leakage Cypress cores were being bottlenecked somewhere because they would only go to 935 Mhz. In Contrast, folks normally get in excess of 1000 Mhz when overclocking HD5870 or HD5850 (In fact, ASUS lists 1035 Mhz and 1050 Mhz respectively for its voltage tweak versions of those cards)

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
At least they are getting serious about video cards finally. sheesh I've got 20A wiring in my room. lol