Anonymous Search on Google / Bing / Yahoo ?

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by atreader, Apr 28, 2011.

1. atreader

atreader Member

How to setup your browser of choice for Anonymous Search on Google (and to lesser extent on Bing and Yahoo too)?

Seems all these companies keep our Search data (+ IP address etc) for 18 months.

http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/topic.py?topic=14148&hl=en

Before you could set some google-anon cookie to tell it to not track you, what's the procedure now?

2. StormSide

StormSide Diamond Member

3. Rayb

Rayb Member

#3 Rayb, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  4. WildHorse

WildHorse Diamond Member

use startpage.com

instead of google, bing, yahoo

5. C1

C1 Golden Member

Ya, Google has become "too big for its britches" and it has actually become annoying so Ive gone to using startpage. (Reordered my bookmarks accordingly.)

6. atreader

atreader Member

Thx.

Going to try Scroogle.org and startpage.com, one thing I noticed is that these both sites use http: so the search queries can still be recorded by the ISP's compared to say https.

The encrypted.google.com (I been using this for some time), will still let google keep logs of your activity for 1.5yr.

The Web History feature requires you to be signed into Google Account when performing search. With multiple browsers and for general web surfing, I don't want to be signed into Google Account.

I use Private Browsing mode too, but this clears only local (stored on your computer) browsing session information, which an extension/toolbars have full access to and can sell to third parties. I have also enabled the 'Do not track' feature in new IE and Firefox browsers, though I doubt that any company respects this feature at the moment. FCC should include these search giants to respect this feature.

Part 2 (long shot): Is there way (or has anyone successfully done this) to contact these search giants and ask them to delete all search data/logs associated with certain IP? Some sites (myspace etc) do delete this info when requested.

7. gevorg

gevorg Diamond Member

SRWare Iron + Click&Clean, do not login to anything

8. atreader

atreader Member

Click&Clean addresses 'local' history only. Doesn't do anything regarding middle-man (ISP) and the source (Google).

I been using SRWare Iron for long time now.

There is a 'Private Mode' + (open/free)VPN solution (or some commercial proxy), but the surfing experience through that is akin to surfing using old dial-up connection.

9. Majic 7

Majic 7 Senior member

Found this on Xtremesystems last week.http://duckduckgo.com/privacy.html It doesn't track you at all. Based on Yahoo with results from Bing. My only problem with it is WOT doesn't work with it. If you go to tools you can find add-ons for browsers other than IE. Not very fast and the link is honest about some of its deficiencies.

#9 Majic 7, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  10. gevorg

gevorg Diamond Member

Of course, you gotta get anonymous VPN or proxy service for that. Too many to choose from, such as BTGuard, StrongVPN, etc.