Anonymous Releases Video Steubenville Rape Case,

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Steubenville High Rape Suspects May Not Get Fair Trial After Video Leak: Ma'lik Richmond's Lawyer

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/04/steubenville-high-rape-suspects-fair-trial_n_2410365.html

Jan 4 (Reuters) - Two Ohio high-school football players accused of raping a teenage girl may not get a fair trial after a photo and video allegedly associated with the case were posted on the Internet by the computer hacking group Anonymous, a lawyer for one of the accused said on Friday.

Ma'lik Richmond and Trenton Mays, both 16 and members of the Steubenville High School football team, are charged with raping a 16-year-old fellow student last August, according to statements from their attorneys to local and national media.
http://www.mstarz.com/articles/7384...k-richmond-video-rape-urinating-dead-girl.htm

A Steubenville high school football team is in trouble after leaking a video about raping and urinating on a 16-year-old "dead girl". According to Deadspin.com, the star of the video, Michael Nodianos is on camera laughing uncontrollably about the the rape incident. Two high school football players, Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond were arrested and charged.

The case had initially divided the town, blaming the girl for making up allegations just to hurt the football team, however, with the video released authorities plan on using it as hard evidence. According to the New York Time, Nate Hubbard, 27, said "The rape was just an excuse, I think. What else are you going to tell your parents when you come home drunk like that and after a night like that?" He added, "She had to make up something. Now people are trying to blow up our football program because of it."

In the video, Nodianos laughs and compares the rape victim to being "deader" as Oj Simpson's wife, Caylee Anthony, JFK, and Trayvon Martin. Only one person in the video could be heard telling the laughing teen that it wasn't a laughing matter, "It is rape. They raped her." He added, "Like, this is not like funny... what if that was your daughter?" Nodianos responded, "But it isn't. If that was my daughter, I wouldn't care. I would just let her be dead. And is it really rape if you don't know if she wanted to or not? She might have wanted it. That might have been her final wish."

Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond, both 16-year-old students at Steubenville High School face one charge of rape and one charge of kidnapping.Mays is also accused of taking graphic photos of the victim and posting them on Facebook. Photo's of the victim being carried out from party to party were taken and had been posted online. Nodianos tweeted during the ordeal saying, "Some people deserve to be peed on" and he later also tweeted, "Song of the night is definitely Rape Me by Nirvana."
When the victim returned home, her parents found her discombobulated and took her to the hospital. Nathaniel Richmond, father of the accused claims both men are innocent and that his son is a stat athlete and "a good child."

Video in link related to case (shameless and no remorse)

http://scallywagandvagabond.com/201...ds-to-demands-for-michael-nodianos-expulsion/

Why Anonymous did it

From Anonymous' files: The Honorable Jane Hanlin is a Prosecuting Attorney for Jefferson County and the mother of Big Red football player Charlie Keenan, who is suspected of being a member of “The Rape Crew”. When the family of the victim went to file the charges, Jane Hanlin was present. She strongly discouraged them from filing. Hanlin frightened not only the victim, but the parents as well. Telling them that her name was going to be dragged through the mud, she will be in and out of court for well over two years, the press wouldn’t leave any of the family alone once the crime was made public. Scared out of their wits, the parents said they didn’t want that and Hanlin then said not to worry just leave it up to her and the detectives on the case.

Prosecutor Hanlin also remained on the Steubenville City School Board even after receiving notice from the Attorney General’s office this is improper. Her first husband is Charlie Keenan, former SHS principal and star athlete in his day.

(Apparently one of the four places that they took this girl to rape her was to Prosecutor Hanlin's HOME!)
Looks like the defense wants to use the video the defendants made as a reason to invalidate the case, after all these football players might be the future leaders America needs.:rolleyes:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
The so called Honorable Jane Hanlin should be fired an immediately disbarred, banned forever from practicing.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
That video is not really solid evidence (other than knowing that she was taken advantage of). Are Trent and Ma'lik in this video? Its purely circumstantial. Maybe Nodianos raped her (along with the others)... It sounds like he is just bragging...how come they didn't bring him in? He seems to know a lot of about what really happened. There are also a lot of other people in the room, have they been brought in?

There is a photo of her being carried by two men according to HP, was it Trent and Ma'lik?

Also, if this was a "Rape Crew" thing, why is it that Trent and Ma'lik are the only two mentioned as being arrested? I read somewhere else that this was a gang rape.

Where is the Judge's son?!

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
That video is not really solid evidence. Are Trent and Ma'lik in this video? Its purely circumstantial. Maybe Nodianos raped, her...they can't know from just the video. It sounds like he is just bragging...how come they didn't bring him in? He seems to know a lot of about what really happened. There are also a lot of other people in the room, have they been brought in?

There is a photo of her being carried by two men according to HP, was it Trent and Ma'lik?

Also, if this was a "Rape Crew" thing, why is it that Trent and Ma'lik are the only two mentioned as being arrested?

The video isn't the evidence against them.

"The newspaper wrote about the assault in detail, describing how the unresponsive and potentially unconscious girl was allegedly penetrated and violated, sometimes on camera. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...s-video_n_2398479.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

If there are other videos and photos in the possession of the authorities which show people actually engaging in the act of rape, then that's the charges that result from that direct evidence. Getting other people prosecuted without video/photo evidence relies on witness testimony, which is very very difficult to get vetted in this kind of situation for all kinds of reasons, inebriation, bias for/against peers, etc.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Some other details.

It looks like someone got to the players, probably worried about getting the team in trouble, and got some of the pics/videos deleted from the cell phones. Of course, as we all know, deleting is not really deleting in the modern era. The question then is how competent (or complicit) are the local authorities.

Just from the sheer number of voluntary statements from that evening alone by a wide range of people, something happened. If rape was indeed perpetrated, then those responsible need to be nailed to the wall.

runnyeggsham

Jan 5, 2013
@shehateme,
Boy you sound like a real champion for women. First of all when does an underage girl (or any girl) dragged on hands and legs in their underwear and exposed shirt with one of the guys pants dragging on the floor look right to you? Are they going to stick an apple in her mouth and turn her in a spit too, like a pig? They were helping her try on fashionable clothes right? Get your tiny head out of the sand. Maybe those two are charged bc there is strong evidence against them. You can't artificially accuse someone that easily in this country even if they are guilty. Hopefully the hospital that the parents took the girl to had police take semen samples...or preserved any DNA evidence.

Yes I am sure jocks invite girls over in their panties to play Jenga. These hick towns and their football eggheads need to learn that you can't violate girls and get away with it anymore. Need we be a society like the poor Indian girl who was gang raped, beaten, and died last week?

I am sure there will be some involved who will get off but at least two will not..hopefully. The defense attorney is worried they won't get a fair trial. Where was fairness when the girl was getting sexually violated?

If a girl says no they mean no. I don't care if they were drunk or drugged out of their mind. No respectable guy with any self confidence or dignity would do that to someone. Send the boys to prison with the big boys. I am sure prison justice will teach them about what rape is all about.

runnyeggsham

Jan 5, 2013
The so called Honorable Jane Hanlin should be fired an immediately disbarred, banned forever from practicing.

Hopefully a lawyer can help the victims family start filing civil suits against the judge's home and others for letting this take place.

Afterall, the home owner is responsible for what happens in their abode. That'll learn her. Even if criminal charges can't fly on that football townie.... Civil suits only need a little over 50% of the evidence to win. Hit them in the purse strings.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
@shehateme,
Boy you sound like a real champion for women. First of all when does an underage girl (or any girl) dragged on hands and legs in their underwear and exposed shirt with one of the guys pants dragging on the floor look right to you? Are they going to stick an apple in her mouth and turn her in a spit too, like a pig? They were helping her try on fashionable clothes right? Get your tiny head out of the sand. Maybe those two are charged bc there is strong evidence against them. You can't artificially accuse someone that easily in this country even if they are guilty. Hopefully the hospital that the parents took the girl to had police take semen samples...or preserved any DNA evidence.

Yes I am sure jocks invite girls over in their panties to play Jenga. These hick towns and their football eggheads need to learn that you can't violate girls and get away with it anymore. Need we be a society like the poor Indian girl who was gang raped, beaten, and died last week?

I am sure there will be some involved who will get off but at least two will not..hopefully. The defense attorney is worried they won't get a fair trial. Where was fairness when the girl was getting sexually violated?

If a girl says no they mean no. I don't care if they were drunk or drugged out of their mind. No respectable guy with any self confidence or dignity would do that to someone. Send the boys to prison with the big boys. I am sure prison justice will teach them about what rape is all about.

Lol so hell bent on jumping on someone you really didn't read what she said now did you?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
The video isn't the evidence against them.

"The newspaper wrote about the assault in detail, describing how the unresponsive and potentially unconscious girl was allegedly penetrated and violated, sometimes on camera. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...s-video_n_2398479.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

If there are other videos and photos in the possession of the authorities which show people actually engaging in the act of rape, then that's the charges that result from that direct evidence. Getting other people prosecuted without video/photo evidence relies on witness testimony, which is very very difficult to get vetted in this kind of situation for all kinds of reasons, inebriation, bias for/against peers, etc.
If that vid ends up online I sure won't want to click it, could even be illegal I guess.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
@shehateme,

You made an account just to go off on me about something I didn't say?

Die in a fire, idiot.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
This buzzfeed made me understand it much better.

That was a lot more understandable. It looks like they don't have any solid evidence that these boys raped her other than a witness saying they saw them inserting their fingers her and doing other things.

Do they have DNA evidence?

The problem with Anonymous and other media outlets getting involved in shit like this is that they make it so easy for the accused to file for a mistrial or an acquittal because its really hard for them to get a fair trial.

For example, releasing the personal information of 50,000 Ohio residents...how stupid was that? Putting everyone's name out there and hacking websites belonging to people close to the football team...ridiculous.

I wonder why that blogger was sued, she must have been saying some really inflammatory and untrue things to get sued like that.

Cases like this are exactly why I refuse to get shitfaced at parties. If I am there with some friends and they're shitfaced, I make sure I can always see them. People get careless and folks take advantage of them. I was at a party once and a girl got drunk and was all over the place. Nobody wanted to deal with her and didn't even know if she came with someone. So, they just dragged her into a corner and left her laying there and went back to partying. She could have been dead from Alcohol poisoning or whatever. Nobody gave a shit because they didn't know her. Nobody went to help her. She just layed there until she finally woke up.

Last edited:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
That was a lot more understandable. It looks like they don't have any solid evidence that these boys raped her other than a witness saying they saw them inserting their fingers her and doing other things.

Do they have DNA evidence?

The problem with Anonymous and other media outlets getting involved in shit like this is that they make it so easy for the accused to file for a mistrial or an acquittal because its really hard for them to get a fair trial.

For example, releasing the personal information of 50,000 Ohio residents...how stupid was that? Putting everyone's name out there and hacking websites belonging to people close to the football team...ridiculous.

I wonder why that blogger was sued, she must have been saying some really inflammatory and untrue things to get sued like that.

Cases like this are exactly why I refuse to get shitfaced at parties. If I am there with some friends and they're shitfaced, I make sure I can always see them. People get careless and folks take advantage of them. I was at a party once and a girl got drunk and was all over the place. Nobody wanted to deal with her and didn't even know if she came with someone. So, they just dragged her into a corner and left her laying there and went back to partying. She could have been dead from Alcohol poisoning or whatever. Nobody gave a shit because they didn't know her. Nobody went to help her. She just layed there until she finally woke up.

The blogger that was sued got the case dismissed with prejudice. The guy who sued apologized and is a witness for the state if I remember correctly. Hey have plenty of evidence to prove rape. If they don't its because of incompetence or more likely an attempt at covering up.

It's a travesty of justice that he kids were removed from criminal court to juvinile court.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
The blogger that was sued got the case dismissed with prejudice. The guy who sued apologized and is a witness for the state if I remember correctly. Hey have plenty of evidence to prove rape. If they don't its because of incompetence or more likely an attempt at covering up.

It's a travesty of justice that he kids were removed from criminal court to juvinile court.

So the case was just dismissed from Criminal Court and they decided to just try them as Juveniles?

I don't understand why the guy who sued apologized? That link said that she was sued by the folks representing the two boys.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The guy who hasn't been accused of anything illegal. He may have took photos of the incident and posted them online while making derogatory statements. He apologized for his actions after his case got dismissed with prejudice.

As for going from criminal to juvinile. I don't know hy it got transferred. In most jurisdictions it would have stayed in adult criminal court. That's why the show fair trial shit is stupid. There is no jury, only a judge. It's dumb to say the media attention is going to bias the judge.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The defense attorney is worried they won't get a fair trial. Where was fairness when the girl was getting sexually violated?

While the evidence certainly appears to point towards her being raped while unconscious the defendants still have a right to a fair trial. I don't agree that rape should be part of their punishment but this is big boy jail crimes so I do agree that IF found guilty in a fair trial that is where they should go.