Anomoly Warzone Earth: reverse-TD game

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I posted this yesterday in the recent Tower Defense thread, but seems like no one is paying attention, so I thought I'd make a new thread as I know a lot of you dig these games.

This was just released this weekend, and is currently $9 on Steam for release weekend special (regular $10)

You lead your command squad down routes to destroy the towers. I never played Siphon Filter, but apparently the tactical route selection screen is similar.

It's the first game a from a new Polish developer, and I must say it looks quite nice, plays quite well, although mechanics are a bit simple. your tanks move constantly and can only be redirected at times--they never stop. you control a little dude that runs around and repairs them, tosses smoke or whatever, and picks up supply drops to keep your unit going.

You get cash, upgrades, and a few unit slots. It resets each map.

Campaign is short--14 missions, so may not be worth $10 for some of you.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-anomaly-warzone-earth/17-3983/

anyway, give it a look-see. I dig it. Same graphics, polish and style as Defense Grid, but more of a story. The narration is pretty hilarious, actually.

British dude: "Jabronie!" WTF.. o_O

I wish there was another zoom level (close), but that would probably add months upon months to development time, and expense. Not sure where they are going with this, but I hope there is more expansion.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/91200/

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think 14 missions is worth $10. The game looks fun.

it's alright so far. I think I'm at mission 10 or 12. could stand for more options.

you basically have 4 things you can actually do--and they all involve running your guy around and placing buffs for your patrol. repair, decoy, smoke, and air strike. that, and you pick up supplies as towers blow up.

after the missions, there are two challenge modes for each area (Baghdad and Tokyo).

I would like for your character to be somewhat offensive minded regarding the towers--or at least be able to sabotage them at times. maybe a buff that gets them to attack each other for a spell. there is an enemy tower late in the game that when it hits, causes your convoy to attack you if you are within the specific AoE. it causes you to scramble a bit.

Anyway, it's a good start, I think.

$10 seems chepa enough, sure...but when it comes to Steam, I always reimnd myself that I paid $10 for Mass Effect 2, $7.50 for Arkham, $10 for Warhammer DoW Gold; $15 for the entire Company of Heroes series, $5 for Torchlight, etc... :D

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
So you don't actually attack anything directly? I love the effects, but going down a pre-planned road giving orders seems a little underwhelming.

I did like the vid to the left about Alice: Madness Returns though :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So you don't actually attack anything directly? I love the effects, but going down a pre-planned road giving orders seems a little underwhelming.

I did like the vid to the left about Alice: Madness Returns though :)

yeah, Alice looks good. looks like hack and slash at it's core, though. good as it looks, maybe the same ol same ol?

and indeed I wish there were more control in this anomaly game. but, as we discussed in the TD game, doing the reverse thing has to have some limitations. you have to figure out how to deal with the pre-planned paths and your auto-attack tanks or whatever. it's kind of like lemmings, in a way. but with tanks and aliens.