Annoying problem when I download an ipad app

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I am trying to download some free apps and when I put my password in it immediately says there's a billing problem with a prior purchase and to update my billing information. This no matter the app; it's like there's some requested purchase in the queue and once I put my card number in it will bill something I don't recall committing to purchasing. Is this what will happen? Is there a way to identify pending purchases so I can delete them?

Atty

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2006
If you sign into iTunes (on a PC or Mac) you can view a more detailed billing information. In iOS there can sometimes be a problem where you'll get that error if your credit card security code is wrong or if your zip code doesn't match with what your bank has on file, which is tricky, because sometimes your bank reports your extended zip code (XXXXX-XXX) and you entered in just XXXXX and so it thinks its wrong.

There is an iTunes/AppleID express lane here where you can do an online chat and get them to resolve it rather quickly, that is what I did previously with a similar issue. Took 10 minutes.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
If you sign into iTunes (on a PC or Mac) you can view a more detailed billing information. In iOS there can sometimes be a problem where you'll get that error if your credit card security code is wrong or if your zip code doesn't match with what your bank has on file, which is tricky, because sometimes your bank reports your extended zip code (XXXXX-XXX) and you entered in just XXXXX and so it thinks its wrong.

There is an iTunes/AppleID express lane here where you can do an online chat and get them to resolve it rather quickly, that is what I did previously with a similar issue. Took 10 minutes.
Thank you!

I loaded itunes on the PC and went to billing history and this issue was that I had bought a $.99 app but that the purchase didn't go through (old CC info). I didn't know this at the time because it did in fact let me download this purchased app.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Thank you!

I loaded itunes on the PC and went to billing history and this issue was that I had bought a $.99 app but that the purchase didn't go through (old CC info). I didn't know this at the time because it did in fact let me download this purchased app.

They don't actually charge you until about a day or so later usually, this has tripped me up in the past as well.