Anno 2070

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
Not really. Not apart from ship sailing from island to island and a bit of the games' trading systems Patrician is a trade simulator, while anno is a city building game at it's core.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
My god, I wish the game industry would spread out the release of good games through out the year, not all clump them together during the holiday season.

I'm torn between trying to play BF3 and Skyrim, now this game :( I love Dawn of Discovery.

Anyone playing it have issues with load times? I remember Dawn of Discovery took freaking forever to load up my 30k city.

Sep 23, 2011
Never heard of Anno before. I just watched the trailer for this game on Steam and am slightly excited. Always a bit skeptical with city builders. But this looks like one to get.

Fortunately, Skyrim is taking my time so I can wait for a nice sale on this one.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
I bought this game to gift to a friend but Steam charged me twice and gave me two copies. Now I'm considering unpacking the gift rather than trading the game for something else or cash (Steam is a headache when it comes to refunds). I loved Caesar 3, Pharoah, Zeus and Emperor. I spent countless hours playing Sim City 3000 and 4. I've not had the time to really get into the recent city builders. I bought Cities XL 2011 and it turned out to be garbage and lifeless.

I've never played any game in the Anno series. I tried Anno 1404 and a friend's house and it looked rather complicated and I didn't have that sort of time back then. I also tried the demo for Anno 2070 and finished the first mission. It seems like this game has a rather steep learning curve. But I do have a bit more time these days...

Hmm?

ErickMaga

Aug 4, 2011
Anno 1404 is great, do hope anno 2070 keeps up to it, i'm just worried about the full game, the DEMO ran rather slow for my likes (16fps) and it was laggy.

I'm waiting on someone to say it works great from me to buy it, found at amazon for $40.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I bought this game to gift to a friend but Steam charged me twice and gave me two copies. Now I'm considering unpacking the gift rather than trading the game for something else or cash (Steam is a headache when it comes to refunds). I loved Caesar 3, Pharoah, Zeus and Emperor. I spent countless hours playing Sim City 3000 and 4. I've not had the time to really get into the recent city builders. I bought Cities XL 2011 and it turned out to be garbage and lifeless.

I've never played any game in the Anno series. I tried Anno 1404 and a friend's house and it looked rather complicated and I didn't have that sort of time back then. I also tried the demo for Anno 2070 and finished the first mission. It seems like this game has a rather steep learning curve. But I do have a bit more time these days...

Hmm?

The Anno games are pretty complicated and do have a bit of a learning curb, but there's a really good wiki that helped make things much easier for 1404. It shouldn't take too long for that to get updated for 2070.

Here's the wiki for 1404 if you wanted to poke around. http://anno1404.wikia.com/wiki/Anno_1404_Wiki

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
The Anno games are pretty complicated and do have a bit of a learning curb, but there's a really good wiki that helped make things much easier for 1404. It shouldn't take too long for that to get updated for 2070.

Here's the wiki for 1404 if you wanted to poke around. http://anno1404.wikia.com/wiki/Anno_1404_Wiki

My favorite aspects of Zeus and Caesar 3 were trading. It was a delight to make a city that worked and that was making a profit. Distributing goods and building markets and other buildings in the right place and road design as also lots of fun.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
I just played the second mission of the demo. I don't think I have the patience for this. I do like strategy games but I think I'll take the traditional RTS and 4X over this one.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I played the demo... they need to take off this "mist" in the gfx. Ugly as hell.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
If Skyrim wasn't so damn awesome I'd be getting this. But it's sucking up all my game time and I just can't pay full price for it to really not be able to play it much. I'll probably just wait for a sale at this point.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
I picked up this game last night. I've only put a couple of hours into it so far, but it is exactly what I was expecting and will definitely be responsible for wasting a bunch of my time (steam tells me I spent 127 hours on the previous game plus expansion).

The key to the Anno games has always been basic infrastructure. Figuring out a proper layout for your roads, markets and trade routes is responsible for most of the learning curve and once you have that down then it's a much more straightforward economic simulator.

I do like the setting a little better than Venice. The execution is about the same, but with all of the games I have played in this genre the future does seem a bit more interesting.

So far the DRM has been a non-issue. I often wonder how many of the posts about DRM are actually from posters who are having issues themselves.

Last edited:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I picked up this game last night. I've only put a couple of hours into it so far, but it is exactly what I was expecting and will definitely be responsible for wasting a bunch of my time (steam tells me I spent 127 hours on the previous game plus expansion).

The key to the Anno games has always been basic infrastructure. Figuring out a proper layout for your roads, markets and trade routes is responsible for most of the learning curve and once you have that down then it's a much more straightforward economic simulator.

I do like the setting a little better than Venice. The execution is about the same, but with all of the games I have played in this genre the future does seem a bit more interesting.

So far the DRM has been a non-issue. I often wonder how many of the posts about DRM are actually from posters who are having issues themselves.

That's good to hear. I'm waiting for the DVD version to be released.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
o_O I thought everything was released on DVD nowadays. Or do you mean the non steam version?

I mean the store bought DVD version. I haven't seen the non-download only version. Perhaps I just haven't noticed it yet.

byteman99

Jan 10, 2009
I've never played any of the previous installments but I saw the trailer for this and it seemed pretty interesting. Is this game a good buy at $50?

MrDuma

Nov 23, 2011
well there is nothing special about the price and when it comes to gameplay i would say ...NEAH

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I've never played any of the previous installments but I saw the trailer for this and it seemed pretty interesting. Is this game a good buy at $50?

I would say so. I could see myself putting in 100+ hours easily, so that's $.50 an hour.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I believe the Steam version is using the Tages DRM with 3 machine activation limit. :( Going to have to pass until it drops in price. Shame.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Heard so many good things about Anno 1404 but never played it.

Now this one is out and look really cool. What genre is this, a City builder or more like the Civ series?