Ankylosing Spondylitis

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
My dad had it. His spine fused. I believe that I might be in the early stages of it.
Right now where my spine meets my hip, I often have a very dull ache than worsens and gets better for no reason. I'm still rather flexible but I'm frightened that I too have it.
Anyone here have it, or know someone who does?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
If only there were some kind of building or place that you could go to that had people who were trained to diagnose medical problems and treat them. Some kind of... hospitible place where they could doctor you up. Somewhere that you could exchange money for this service.

You're right, people would never go for it.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
If only there were some kind of building or place that you could go to that had people who were trained to diagnose medical problems and treat them. Some kind of... hospitible place where they could doctor you up. Somewhere that you could exchange money for this service.

You're right, people would never go for it.

I don't have insurance, nor the means to obtain it right now.
I am young and underpaid. I pay for all my schooling myself. I already have thousands of dollars in medical bills from getting screwed by treatment centers. Before I march right into another doctors office to hand over another 1k for him to take my blood and write me a prescription that won't help me, I'd generally appreciate someone who has prior knowledge and perhaps experience with this disorder to tell me if my symptoms are about on par and if I should worry about it right now or wait until something else happens.
Yes I have posted on other forums. Yes I am checking those forums for answers. I merely pondered if anyone here has it or knows someone who did so that I can make the decision to throw away my money with some certainty that I might actually be helped this time instead of being charged a large amount of money for nothing.

Thank you for your reply.

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
Ankylosing Spondylitis
Funny how you mention that, funny in that just last week, my Dr. tells me that I may have it! He also suggested that my symptoms as they are could possibly be Fibromyalgia.
They have been treating me for Rheumatoid Arthritis with little luck, the Enbrel injections worked really well for the pain, but they made me lethargic, what's the point in feeling better if you don't have the energy to do anything?
By looking at my MRIs, you can tell that the bone spurs are growing at an alarmingly fast rate, which leads my doctor to believe that it is, in fact, ankylosing spondylitis. (Talk about a mess, along my spine, the bone spurs are actually rubbing together in a few places, and some have had enough shock to actually break off small pieces of them!)
My left hip socket is worn so badly that it has actually dislocated itself twice.

Please seek medical advice ASAP, believe me, the faster you treat it (If any good treatments exist!), the better off you will be.
I waited for years until I got so bad that nowadays I am in constant pain 24/7. It's not good, and barring heavy doses of narcotics, there isn't much you can do by way of pain relief.

From the American College of Rheumatology:
"The severity of joint involvement and the degree of systemic symptoms vary greatly from one individual to another. Early, accurate diagnosis and therapy may minimize years of pain and disability.

Medical treatment consists of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Indomethacin is most effective, while sulfasalazine may benefit those with more severe involvement. Peripheral joint arthritis may respond to methotrexate.

Rehabilitation therapies are essential. Proper sleep and walking positions, coupled with abdominal and back exercises, help maintain posture. Exercises help maintain joint flexibility. Breathing exercises enhance lung capacity, and swimming provides aerobic exercise. Even with optimal treatment, some people will develop a stiff or "ankylosed" spine, but they will remain functional if this fusion occurs in an upright position. Continuing care is critical. AS is a lifelong problem, and people often fail to continue treatment, in which case permanent posture and mobility losses occur."

Sorry for the long post, but I don't want anyone else to get in as bad shape as I am if I can help it!
Edit: Sent you a PM with a link, check it out.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
AS is what is referred to as a seronegative spondyloarthopathy, which means that there is not currently any test that can be used to diagnose it. Unfortunately the classic xray findings do not usually appear until you are in your 50's. Also, since for many joint diseases such as Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus etc, testing can be negative for years after symptoms are appearent, diagnosis as an exclusion is often difficult. Given a family hx, it is certainly possible. What you need is to see a rheumatologist. Preferrably someone that sees a great deal of AS. Your best bet is a university setting. In the meantime, NSAIDS may help.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Whoa. I was expecting a joke topic. "Ankylosing Spondylitis" just sounds made up, doesn't it?