Anker Gaming Mice

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I'm looking for a new mouse to replace my cheapo Logitech M100; the latest in a line of standard issue mice. I do a little gaming and I would really like a more precise mouse for Photoshop and other graphics and video work.

I was looking at these Anker Gaming Mice; the 2000dpi model is only $20, kind of disco for me with the lights and all, but most performance reviews are very positive. The 8200dpi model is only $30 and is also favorably reviewed.

Is a higher dpi going to make for better sensitivity and more precise tracking? That's something I'm looking for as far as the Photoshop work goes. The M100 mouse I have has 1000 dpi, will 2000 dpi be a noticeable difference or should I go big with the 8000 dpi, or is that overkill?

Not much here on Anker mice, anybody have one?

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
Here's my take on high dpi mice: you need to lower Windows' mouse sensitivity to the minimum to be able to use anything above 1500 dpi. If you don't, the mouse will be uncontrollable, because it's too sensitive. So the question is why go with a very sensible DPI setting only to lower windows' sensitivity setting? The answer is "Enhance pointer precision". Basically, you use the DPI when you need them, and don't when you don't.

It works for me. I have owned a G500 with 5600DPI for two years, and have received today my new G502, with up to 12000 DPI (!!!). I'm still getting to grips with it, but it's an improvement so far. A noticeable one.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Is a higher dpi going to make for better sensitivity and more precise tracking? That's something I'm looking for as far as the Photoshop work goes. The M100 mouse I have has 1000 dpi, will 2000 dpi be a noticeable difference or should I go big with the 8000 dpi, or is that overkill?

Not much here on Anker mice, anybody have one?

higher DPI means you have to move your hand less to make your cursor move more. i would think for pixel level precision you would want lower DPI so that you can be very deliberate with your motion.

also helps if you can switch readily on the fly using buttons on the mouse so when you need the slower motion of the lower DPI you can get it but then go back to a more normal speed when just hitting menus and whatnot.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
higher DPI means you have to move your hand less to make your cursor move more. i would think for pixel level precision you would want lower DPI so that you can be very deliberate with your motion.

also helps if you can switch readily on the fly using buttons on the mouse so when you need the slower motion of the lower DPI you can get it but then go back to a more normal speed when just hitting menus and whatnot.

I never thought about changing the mouse sensitivity, I'll have to check that out.

When working with Photoshop and some other editing programs, moving the mouse just a little moves the cursor too much on the screen, if that makes any sense. The M100 is definitely a cheap mouse, the buttons don't work all that well, I don't expect too much from it.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
You want a mouse that doesn't have acceleration. Which rules out all laser mice. I have the Cooler Master CM storm spawn mouse. It is one without acceleration, and turn off enhanced pointer precision.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
My main monitor was 1920x1200 and i was ok with 4000 dpi. Now i use 3440x1440 for my main monitor, but i dont use any more mice for photoshop. I use wacom... I went with tablet cause i had pain in hands which was result of clicking. 1000 clicks or even more in a row can be quite hard on your fingers.

You make a good point about using a Wacom tablet with Photoshop, I've used them before and I've got a small one around here somewhere, but most of the Photoshop work I do is more "production" type work; crop, resize, brightness/contrast/color adjustments, sharpen and off to the internet. A mouse is OK for that, for more complex projects, the tablet is better. I may go find that tablet and start using it again.

You want a mouse that doesn't have acceleration. Which rules out all laser mice. I have the Cooler Master CM storm spawn mouse. It is one without acceleration, and turn off enhanced pointer precision.

I turned off the enhanced pointer precision. I just have the standard Windows mouse settings, I didn't see any acceleration. Is acceleration the same as "pointer speed"?

In the reviews for those two Anker mice, the software that comes with them is much more feature oriented than the Windows mouse control settings. Get what you pay for I reckon.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Enhanced pointer precision is windows acceleration and deceleration, turning it off helps, but also, any mouse with a laser, and not an optical sensor has built in hardware acceleration. And a lot of optical mice do as well.

You can search google for a list of which mice do not have acceleration. Any mouse worth a damn will tell you the switches. You sometimes have to do a bit of digging to find the sensors.

Here is a good forum thread to read.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Enhanced pointer precision is windows acceleration and deceleration, turning it off helps, but also, any mouse with a laser, and not an optical sensor has built in hardware acceleration. And a lot of optical mice do as well.

You can search google for a list of which mice do not have acceleration. Any mouse worth a damn will tell you the switches. You sometimes have to do a bit of digging to find the sensors.

Here is a good forum thread to read.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

I checked out those sites with the mouse info. I must admit my eyes kind of glazed over a bit. I'm not really a hardcore gamer, I don't want to spend $100 for a mouse. I didn't see any Anker mice on those lists, I don't know it's because they are new, don't make the cut with advanced gamers or what, kind of why I thought I'd throw it out here. I think those Anker mice, at least the expensive one, uses a laser, but the software allows control over the acceleration.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Every laser mouse has acceleration like one member already told u. But IMO you dont need that kinda precision for production type of work. Create in photoshop actions and record them, the rest use schortcut keys, alt ,tab and cursors and you dont need mouse for that. Maybe for crop you will need mouse, but rest you can do with out. I created macros and schortucts for my photoshop. I use razer orbviewer for that, but you can get software which you can use with your keyboard.

Quite a setup you've got. I'd start using more keyboard shortcuts before I got in that deep. You must use Photoshop a lot to be able to remember all those key assignments.

I switch between editing programs that are often open at the same time so I try to keep things simple. It would be nice to have a better mouse than the one I have for editing and get a reasonable gaming mouse. I might not get perfection, but I'm only looking for a reasonable upgrade.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
What's wrong with using the enhanced precision setting? I've used it all my life and I'm better with it, I think. Specially in gaming.

But having never gotten used to NOT using it, I can't tell if I'm handicapped.