Animal rights laws taken to the extreme

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
It's always fun to see someone's first reaction to European laws. Wait until you read a bit more into Switzerland's politics.

You never fail to provide entertainment on this board.

He never fails to bash anything European in any thread, regardless of the topic, he's done that for as long as i've been here.

He's just a troll that the mods find amusing.

Exactly.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
Originally posted by: ericlp
While this may be extreme ... Americas farm animals are treated very poorly and we have along way to go in America.

IE, Chickens, Pigs, Cows....
Animals are not humans. Livestock are raised for one thing: eating. While I don't agree with deliberately cruel treatment, the lives that these animals lead is hardly grueling. Animal husbandry has come a long way in the past 100 years and people have gone through a good deal of effort to understand what causes suffering to these animals and what does not. I know the author of the definitive book series on the issue and would be happy to recommend some reading for anyone who is interested.

Nice try sparky.

We evolved from animals.. Just because your fucked up god made you in his worst image doesn't mean you get to say your better then they are...

Next, I eat free range animals, not the ones in cages and small pens that get injections daily. Careful what you eat ... But just from your statements I can tell I will be talking to a wall from now on... It's all for the dollar, tho, I hardly eat meat unless I know where it came from. I try to eat what grows out of my garden as much as possible. You really should read up more on what they are doing to your food supply.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Most species of hamster are solitary. Heck I own two that are of a species that normally can get along, and they fight like crazy if put together. So they live in separate terrariums. I have a 10 gallon sitting in the 50 gallon, so they can theoretically see each other. (Hamsters also have poor vision)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
It's always fun to see someone's first reaction to European laws. Wait until you read a bit more into Switzerland's politics.

Have you ever been to Switzerland? Or Europe?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Dog lessons, that is fantastic. I bet they still won't require people to have lessons on taking care of kids, though, will they?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ericlp
Nice try sparky.

We evolved from animals.. Just because your fucked up god made you in his worst image doesn't mean you get to say your better then they are...

Next, I eat free range animals, not the ones in cages and small pens that get injections daily. Careful what you eat ... But just from your statements I can tell I will be talking to a wall from now on... It's all for the dollar, tho, I hardly eat meat unless I know where it came from. I try to eat what grows out of my garden as much as possible. You really should read up more on what they are doing to your food supply.
I'm well aware of what goes on in our food supply. I'm also well aware that there exists extensive logical framework stating why animals do not require equal ethical treatment to humans. Maybe you should extract your head from your rear-most orifice and educate yourself before trying to portray me as ignorant. Or should I try to convince the ethics committee that I work with to hold animal tissue equal to human tissue for experimental purposes? Idiot.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield

You never fail to provide entertainment on this board.

He never fails to bash anything European in any thread, regardless of the topic, he's done that for as long as i've been here.

He's just a troll that the mods find amusing.

Exactly.

Some of us have to fight the good fight!

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
God more bleeding heart hippies. Maybe they will annex the Bay Area so we can be done with them. I am going to burn the next salmon I catch alive just because I read that article. Maybe Ill pick up a lobster on the way home just to drop him in the pot.....

chcarnage

Golden Member
May 11, 2005
The laws may seem extreme to some now, but I'm confident they'll stand the test of time (except maybe the new dog courses).

Switzerland has not always, but often been a forerunner in animal rights in Europe. For example laying batteries are already outlawed but the EU will only do so in 2014. And now unanesthetised pig castration will become illegal too. I don't have a problem with laws of this kind.

But if you don't care about this and prefer hormon-laden, routinely antibiotics-treated meat, fine... Just remember that it's a bit inconsistent if you have a pet or enjoy anthropomorphizing Pixar movies.