Android? Phone shopping

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Anyone own an Android Phone? I am in the market for new phones and I was curious as to how the Android is. Any help at all would be great. Is it cheaper to use than an iphone?

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Only android phone out is the G-1 with the MyTouch do shortly. Monthly they are very close so its pretty much a toss up there. As far as up front it depends on what you are comparing. The 3G is cheaper with the 3GS is more. You know you can easily go to AT&T's and T-Mobiles site to check phone prices and monthly rates?

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
As boomhower said, there is currently only really one Android phone out at the moment, the G1. I bought a G1 from ebay to avoid signing new contract with T-Mobile. Also it lets me use data plan without a 2 year commitment since I'm unsure if I will really use it as I've never had data plan before.

The G1 is a nice phone and Android OS is stable as far as I can tell. Lots of useful/cool apps out in the market place and free ones too.

T-Mobile is a little cheaper for data plan compared to AT&T.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Is there a way to not get a data plan with T-mobile and just use the Wifi? Can you force it to not allow data over the cellular network?
Was thinking about getting a G1 online and then taking it to t-mobile to get a SIM. Would just be using the FlexPay 300 minute, which is only 30 bucks a month. But I dont wanna get stuck with data charges on top of that. I have Wifi at home, school and most of my hangouts.

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
If you buy your G1 used (Craigslist, Ebay) or pay full price, you can get it without the data plan. If you get it through T-Mobile at their discount price, then you have to sign up for a data plan.

That said, if you turn on the charisma and hit it off with the salesperson, or you buy it and then return it because the data plan is too expensive, they may axe the data plan for you and still let you buy and keep it at the discounted price. But that will take a bit of luck.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Is there a way to not get a data plan with T-mobile and just use the Wifi? Can you force it to not allow data over the cellular network?
Was thinking about getting a G1 online and then taking it to t-mobile to get a SIM. Would just be using the FlexPay 300 minute, which is only 30 bucks a month. But I dont wanna get stuck with data charges on top of that. I have Wifi at home, school and most of my hangouts.

Check out forum.xda-developers.com for the HTC Dream forum. I believe that there's a thread that tells you how to do it.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: boomhower
Only android phone out is the G-1 with the MyTouch do shortly. Monthly they are very close so its pretty much a toss up there. As far as up front it depends on what you are comparing. The 3G is cheaper with the 3GS is more. You know you can easily go to AT&T's and T-Mobiles site to check phone prices and monthly rates?

Tmobile is over $30 cheaper a month with comparable plans, even more when you consider taxes

After taxes its around $800 cheaper over 2 years

T-mobile 1000 minutes + night and weekends $39.99
T-mobile data plan + 400 texts $24.99

ATT 900 minutes + nights and weekends + rollover + mobile to mobile $59.99
ATT data plan + 200 texts $35

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: pm
If you buy your G1 used (Craigslist, Ebay) or pay full price, you can get it without the data plan. If you get it through T-Mobile at their discount price, then you have to sign up for a data plan.

That said, if you turn on the charisma and hit it off with the salesperson, or you buy it and then return it because the data plan is too expensive, they may axe the data plan for you and still let you buy and keep it at the discounted price. But that will take a bit of luck.

i bought my g1 from a t-mobile retail store, with a 2 year contract for 199, but didn't have to sign up for a data plan. I eventually added it later, but initially i found a way to activate over wifi. its kinda tricky though, but it is possible.