Android OS/Devices Sub-Forum?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by lopri, Dec 13, 2012.

1. lopri

lopri Elite Member

I know we have mobile devices forum, OS forum, and *nix software forum. But all of them have pretty much been established with certain interests. Mobile device forum is predominantly about smart phones followed by tablets, and OS forum is about Windows. *nix Software forum, I am unsure, is about Unix and its softwares?

Android is pretty new and wildly popular, yet it is pretty difficult to have a conversation or a learning experience in any of the aforementioned forums. When I have small questions to ask about Android, I do not know where to ask. Just recently I posted this in *nix forum, despite my understanding that Unix and Linux are totally different OS'es.

It is difficult to raise questions or discussion about Android OS/devices when half the threads are about which phone to buy or which carrier has the best service (Mobile Devices & Gadgets), Windows trouble-shooting and general Windows-bashing (Operating Systems), or which NAS is the best or which anti-virus is good for certain linux distros (*nix Software).

It may not be impossible (after all I just did post in *nix Software forum), but my impression is that vast majority of denizens have different interests when visiting the aforementioned forums. That makes it difficult to raise questions or have a discussion about Android, and from what I see many members get information about Android elsewhere. (e.g. xda-developers, androidcentral, androidcommunity, etc,.) I think AnandTech Forums could benefit from re-routing those traffics back here. ("All Things Android," perhaps?)

2. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

Mobile devices is currently busy enough to meet our criteria for a split, but just so. So this will be one of the only "can we get subforum-X" threads where I'm not going to point to an Oldsmoboat post and call it a day. I'm not sure we're going to split the forum or if so would we split it like that, but it's something for us to discuss.

3. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Most forums are not split for convenience or easy categorization. They are split to keep people from pissing on each other. P&N was made so political jackasses wouldnt pollute Off Topic.

If you split off Android the haters will still come in and yell at each other.

4. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

Actually that's why most of our forums exist. P&N is the only exception, and that's because we wanted to get all the nutjobs in one place.

5. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Yeah but half of them are mods!

:awe:

6. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

Yeah but someone let's them out and they come to OT

7. EagleKeeper

EagleKeeper Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Staff Member

Haybusa and I represent such an insinuation :colbert: :cool:

8. EagleKeeper

EagleKeeper Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Staff Member

SE, AMD and Oblama would never qualify as mods :thumbsup:

To nutty :biggrin:

9. lopri

lopri Elite Member

It was inevitable.

What is the best Android Forum

I myself wanted to ask the same question many times (with a nicer attitude) but refrained from doing so because I did not want to make yet another forum account. :) But seriously, for inquiring minds the alternative is to hop around different places or monopolizing the front page of the forum with petty questions. (neither seems ideal) I hope this suggestion is at least brought up for a discussion.

10. lopri

lopri Elite Member

Bleh.. had to make 2 logins. One for a developer-oriented site and another for more user-friendly one.

11. Pedroc1999

Pedroc1999 Senior member

I agree with getting an android OSn subforum, it can be very useful for me atleast, considering you even benchmark phones