android battery life: left hand not talking to the right hand

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
This. "iOS is 100% smooth" is about as tired an argument as "only poor people buy Android phones".

They're pretty smooth for their latest devices.
But lets say you upgrade IOS to the latest on the 4/4S, it's laggy as sh!t.
This isn't just the iphone either, it's all of their ios devices.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
iOS apps are not all smooth. Hell iOS isn't even perfectly "butter" throughout its OS. There are still slowdowns that are extremely evident, just like Android.

Nothing is 100% smooth, but iOS runs circles around Android in that department.

For example the iOS YouTube app has easing on the menu fly out, whereas on android it just snaps open.

Little things like that makes up the finesse of the OS.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Nothing is 100% smooth, but iOS runs circles around Android in that department.

For example the iOS YouTube app has easing on the menu fly out, whereas on android it just snaps open.

Little things like that makes up the finesse of the OS.

Not sure if youtube is a great example. I love the integration of youtube with jellybean.
I can however agree, games run smoother on ios. Some examples are bejeweled, anipang (asian bejeweled like game).

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
They're pretty smooth for their latest devices.
But lets say you upgrade IOS to the latest on the 4/4S, it's laggy as sh!t.
This isn't just the iphone either, it's all of their ios devices.

I'm curious about this claim because for me that's not true.. I have an iPhone4 and 4S.. both on iOS6 and it's not laggy.
Do you have an example for me to test your claim? I have an iPhone4 in my hand right now on iOS6.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I'm curious about this claim because for me that's not true.. I have an iPhone4 and 4S.. both on iOS6 and it's not laggy.
Do you have an example for me to test your claim? I have an iPhone4 in my hand right now on iOS6.

iOS6 doesn't run at a solid 60FPS on the iPhone 4. Just go into setting on both your 4 and 4S compare how well each one scrolls.

upsdriver

Nov 8, 2011
What version of youtube are you using...

The animation is perfectly smooth on my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 10.

iOS crams its OS with transitional animations to buy more time to load the app. Was using my friend's iPad and couldn't believe how much time was wasted with these animations. Reminds me of cheesy Powerpoint slide transitions.

Last edited:

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
iOS6 doesn't run at a solid 60FPS on the iPhone 4. Just go into setting on both your 4 and 4S compare how well each one scrolls.

It scrolls fine, while I will grant you the fact that I *think* the 4S is slightly faster than the 4.. they are both pretty slick/fast.. anyone who thinks the iPhone4 is 'slow' (as I said I'm not sure I can even tell the difference..), but pickup an old Android phone, they don't age as well.

I have an iPhone4, 4S, HTC Thunderbolt and a Samsung GS3. The only turd in the bunch is the Tbolt, all the others are great devices. I like them all and couldn't give 2 shits about Android vs iOS. F**** Apple and f**** Google. Don't care, they don't pay my bills.

I do regret buying the Tbolt, I should've gone with the 4S at the time.

I'd probably caution people more against Android, because you don't know if you're going to get a 'HTC Thunderbolt' or a 'GS3'. While the old iPhones are still simply great. That said, I can't speak poorly of the GS3 without lying through my teeth.
I'm also not going to lie about the iPhones I have either. The iPhone4 kicks ass to this day.

Truth is all relatively recent iPhones are great, and always were. A good, well-supported Android is also kickass. I prefer Android for work phones, iPhone for personal use. The iPhone5 is the ideal size for a smartphone in my opinion.
I'd use either though.

thecapsaicinkid

Nov 30, 2012
So in this thread we've decided, devices with bigger screens use more battery, running data intensive apps like Google Now uses more battery and devices with bigger batteries last longer.

Note we're arguing which is smoother, Android or iOS.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001

I dont have a specific example, but it's from user experience with handling all 3 devices.
Anyhow my iphone 5 is sold (550) and my SGS3 is about to be sold (400) and I'll be jumping to the note 2

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
What version of youtube are you using...

The animation is perfectly smooth on my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 10.

iOS crams its OS with transitional animations to buy more time to load the app. Was using my friend's iPad and couldn't believe how much time was wasted with these animations. Reminds me of cheesy Powerpoint slide transitions.

Galaxy nexus on JB.

Animations aren't there to buy more time when the 5 loads faster than GS3.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
I dont have a specific example, but it's from user experience with handling all 3 devices.
Anyhow my iphone 5 is sold (550) and my SGS3 is about to be sold (400) and I'll be jumping to the note 2

I OWN all three devices. I'm sitting with all 3 right now.. I think there is a lot of exaggeration out there. I already said while nearly imperceptible, if it really is perceivable- the 4S is a tiny bit smoother than the 4 on iOS6.

It's pretty tough to tell though, and while the iPhone4 is even older than my HTC Thunderbolt, the 4 absolutely murders that. I think HTC left that on Android 2.3, but no excuses for Android. Just as I wouldn't make excuses for iOS.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Wasn't your post also a CLASSIC exaggeration troll then as well?

Those who live in extended battery life houses.
You fail at logic. An extra battery doesn't mean carrying it around, it means you charge just the battery instead of the whole device. (It's actually the most logical way, and the way most battery powered devices have operated since the start). Because you can (logically) change the batteries in a portable radio let's say- does that mean you have to carry around a pocket full of batteries? Only if you're an exaggerating imbecile incapable of basic logic.

You're doing the same thing when you charge your device- just your entire phone has to sit and charge, not just the battery.

Having to swap out multiple battery cases isn't anywhere near as logical or convenient, and as I said prevents the use of other cases.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
You fail at logic. An extra battery doesn't mean carrying it around, it means you charge just the battery instead of the whole device.

If you're not going to have the extra battery, charger case, etc. with you, what's the point of even having one? If you're device has an empty battery, what good does any solution to extend the life of the device do if it isn't with you?

Only if you're an exaggerating imbecile incapable of basic logic.

I was only being a snarky ass in my post to point out that by your own logic, calling someone a troll for making a generalization about something being fugly makes you a troll, since you did exactly the same thing in a previous post.

Also, no need to act like a jerk about it. As per the AT forum guidelines:

1) No trolling, flaming or personally attacking members. Deftly attacking ideas and backing up arguments with facts is acceptable and encouraged. Attacking other members personally and purposefully causing trouble with no motive other than to upset the crowd is not allowed.

So let's not go accusing other posters for being trolls merely for posting the same kind of logical fallacies that you yourself are guilty of.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
If you're not going to have the extra battery, charger case, etc. with you, what's the point of even having one? If you're device has an empty battery, what good does any solution to extend the life of the device do if it isn't with you?
Why is this so complicated for some?
You don't need to keep an extra battery with you, as in on your person- which is silly assertion made by the exaggeration troll. You keep an extra battery anywhere you need to get to it in order to instantly recharge your phone, which would obviously only be where you'd go to recharge the phone in the first place. The same as anywhere you'd keep a charging cable or any other method of charging. Do you keep your charging cable in your pocket at all times? Why would you?

Do you keep the batteries to a flashlight or any device you use in a drawer/somewhere logical that you can get to them when you need them, or in your pocket like a doofus? Why insist a phone battery falls under any different logic?

Really, if this is just too complicated for people then I suggest don't use a 'smartphone' because it's not doing much good.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
So let's not go accusing other posters for being trolls merely for posting the same kind of logical fallacies that you yourself are guilty of.
Please, if you haven't noticed that certain types troll every single subject with the same exaggerated nonsense over and over again, then you're just being blind. Heck, we've almost had this very thread derailed into the usual 'smoothness' exaggeration nonsense.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Why is this so complicated for some? . . . Really, if this is just too complicated for people then I suggest don't use a 'smartphone' because it's not doing much good.

I already pointed out it was a gross generalization made, because you pretty much did exactly the same thing. Or at least that's what I'm assuming, because yes I do realize that it's a ridiculous argument. That was the point.

Please, if you haven't noticed that certain types troll every single subject with the same exaggerated nonsense over and over again, then you're just being blind. Heck, we've almost had this very thread derailed into the usual 'smoothness' exaggeration nonsense.

Then ignore them or post factual evidence to refute their claims. Once again, you're posting what amounts to thinly veiled personal attacks, which is in no way helpful. All it does is egg on other people to make personal attacks or otherwise derail the thread.

It's not necessary to be condescending and insulting when attempting to get your point across.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I don't even see how it's debatable, I'll take something like my Mophie Juice Pack Pro over a 2nd battery any day. Yeah it's bulky, but I don't want to carry around an extra lose battery, which is even more of a hassle. And having to swap out a battery when it goes dead is retarded. What do you do when you're on a call and the low battery beep comes on? tell the person "shit, let me swap batteries I'll call you back." The Mophie isn't all roses, but it slaughters carrying around multiple batteries. I've never tested the actual battery life, but I can power use my phone for 3 days and still have a ton of battery life left. I am sure I could surf the web for 20 straight hours and still have plenty of juice left. Even with a an extra battery none of my 4 Android phones could have done that. It might be ugly as shit, but it gets me the best battery life I've ever seen on a cell phone, which ultimately is at the top of my list.

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Umm.. even my mom could tell which is the faster/smoother/snappier one between iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, without knowing which is which. Try blind-testing average joes. I bet most will prefer the smoother, snappier one. (which one would that be?)

Now, throw in Optimus G or iPhone 5 there and ask how they feel. Suddenly iPhone 4 doesn't seem so lag-free any more. I was skeptical about Nexus 4 until I got to play with a Verizon Optimus G at a Bestbuy (I had an iphone 4). Holy $&@? was my reaction upon experiencing Optimus G.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Most Android phone batteries fit in wallet credit card slots without issue. 404 hassle not found.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
Umm.. even my mom could tell which is the faster/smoother/snappier one between iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, without knowing which is which. Try blind-testing average joes. I bet most will prefer the smoother, snappier one. (which one would that be?)

You actually blind tested your mother on this theory, by odd chance.. or by prompting by this thread? Most people aren't sitting around like I am with both phones at the moment to test both on iOS6.

I just tried a few moments ago, and again, I think the 4S might be snappier but it's difficult to say/complain/notice.

Now old android phones, such as my HTC Thunderbolt on 2.3? Pure trash.

You fail at logic. An extra battery doesn't mean carrying it around, it means you charge just the battery instead of the whole device. (It's actually the most logical way, and the way most battery powered devices have operated since the start).

When I had a Sony Walkman in the 80s, if you knew you were going to be away from home you'd take extra batteries with you. If you can't be connected to a charger, this is how its done. We didn't have bulky cases with batteries, we simply didn't use a case because we didn't drop it like fools and such an idea is pretty ridiculous.

It still is, if you're going to be far away from a charger, then bring an extra battery.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
You actually blind tested your mother on this theory, by odd chance.. or by prompting by this thread? Most people aren't sitting around like I am with both phones at the moment to test both on iOS6.

I just tried a few moments ago, and again, I think the 4S might be snappier but it's difficult to say/complain/notice.

Now old android phones, such as my HTC Thunderbolt on 2.3? Pure trash.

When I had a Sony Walkman in the 80s, if you knew you were going to be away from home you'd take extra batteries with you. If you can't be connected to a charger, this is how its done. We didn't have bulky cases with batteries, we simply didn't use a case because we didn't drop it like fools and such an idea is pretty ridiculous.

It still is, if you're going to be far away from a charger, then bring an extra battery.

I have to agree with you on the Thunderbolt. It is complete trash. But for Iphones, when you got exchange / gmail / etc with a bunch of apps it's a lot more noticeable.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Most Android phone batteries fit in wallet credit card slots without issue. 404 hassle not found.

To me that doesn't sound like a smart thing to do at all. I have a feeling that even the instruction manual would hazard against doing something like that.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Because? I've done it for years. I suppose it depends on the wallet but there's no strain applied to the batteries what so ever in mine