android battery life: left hand not talking to the right hand

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by rh71, Jan 23, 2013.

1. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Platinum Member

I guess I see your point but to me battery life is a non issue. Motorola has solved that problem with the RM and RMHD hardware. I currently charge my RMHD pretty much every third day and I never even worry about it. I would prefer google spend its resources solving problems that actually affect the usefulness of the OS to me, such as predictive algorithms within google now for instance, or maybe figuring out how to get handset manufacturers to push out more frequent and less "skinned" OS updates :)

2. Eug

Eug Lifer

I'm under 150 MB right now after two weeks this monthly cycle on my Android phone. On my (very slow) iPhone 4 I was using about the same amount of data on average.

It also should be noted that iOS 6 seems to have a bug, particularly with the iPhone 5, that has caused many users to use several GB (!) of data unintentionally.

3. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

HTC is responsible for, and continuing, the myth that Android has poor battery life. Galaxy S3, battery of 2100mah, user removable. HTC Droid DNA, integrated 2040mah. This isn't a new trend either, they always have a battery thats a few hundred mah smaller than their competitors.

4. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

He's pulling reasons out of his ass. Battery life is about the same on Galaxy Nexus running ICS vs JB. JB has project butter and Google Now and the battery life is still about the same as ICS.

5. Skurge

Skurge Diamond Member

You are only talking about web browsing aren't you? Cause I really don't how you can say the iphone 5 has longer battery life when It doesn't lead any chart other than Browsing time. Video playback, Wifi, talktime are all middle of the park.

Looking at tablets, the Nexus 10 has a much smaller battery than the iPad and larger higher res display, but gets a little less battery life. The Nexus 7 has the same battery size as the ipad mini, with a smaller higher res display, with a much more powerful SOC and gets similar battery life.

So you are taking about web browsing, then sure the iPhone 5 does great, but with everything else, it's nothing special.

Almost every phone has gotten better battery life with JB than ICS. Well maybe android has always ramped up the CPU, just not as quickly as JB does. You also don't know how the governor in iOS or WP works.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_jelly_bean-review-823p6.php
    http://blog.gsmarena.com/lg-optimus-l9-battery-test-concludes-find-out-the-detailed-results-inside/

6. cliftonite

cliftonite Diamond Member

"fundamental issue here is the lack of GPU rendering" Why do you keep spreading this BS when android has GPU acceleration? http://www.extremetech.com/computing/107995-the-truth-about-hardware-acceleration-on-android

7. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

Not really. The One X gets pretty amazing battery life. Go look at the AT review for the Galaxy S III. It loses to the One X in every category, even though it has a bigger battery. There was definitely a time when their phones all had generally terrible battery life, but they've shown that they're more than capable of making phones with good battery life.

8. Obsoleet

Obsoleet Platinum Member

I went from the HTC Thunderbolt to a GS3, and the former was never acceptable. It almost pushed me to iPhone forever. The GS3 is ok, and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph as the Tbolt..

I like the iPhone and the Galaxy series, but won't touch anything else, especially Motorola.

I picked the GS3 over the iPhone5 because I heard the extended battery is coming out this year from Samsung. 3000mah, should be more than enough. I get acceptable battery life right now.

GS3 + extended battery IMO is hands down superior to the Maxx. Screw that thing.
    iPhone5 still has its merits though, I prefer it's size and how streamlined everything is about iPhones.

9. SpongeBob

GS3 feels like a cheap piece of junk. Maxx HD actually feels like a real piece of hardware and I don't have to wait and hope a slim extended battery comes out.

10. Obsoleet

Obsoleet Platinum Member

A real piece of hardware has been redefined as a brick.
    By your standards, the HTC Thunderbolt makes the Maxx HD look like a cheap piece of junk. I'll trade you even up.

I don't think iPhone5 or GS3 owners are envious of your Motorola. If I wanted the non-replacable battery 'feature', I'd bought the iPhone.
    If you wanted Motorola that's your own problem, no one else is looking back.

#35 Obsoleet, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  11. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

I have bone stock gs3 and get almost 6 hours on screen time with the stock battery and push on etc.

12. NikolaeVarius

13. Obsoleet

Obsoleet Platinum Member

That's about what I get. Nothing to complain about. I use an enterprise email application called Touchdown using ActiveSync push during certain hours of the day.

14. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

I get just over a full day of use also and im a power user.project butter and jelly bean got me a whole 2 more hours of onscreen time so I font know what the heck delirious is talking about.

On a custom kernal people are getting 7 hours also

15. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

Apple solves the battery issues by using tiny screens. Motorola solves theirs by using humongous batteries.
    Neither is much of a difference.

People always try to quote "/WhR" usage as a way to discredit Motorola, but no one ever quotes "/inch usage" or normalizes those "/WhR" results based on pixels or screen size. Why?

Until Apple releases a 4.7" iPhone, or the Android manufacturers release a 4" Android phone that isn't a PoS or has shitty specs, there will be no way to directly compare battery life on iOS vs Android.

16. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

If you can't link us credible reviews showing massive difference in battery life between JellyBean and ICS on a Galaxy Nexus(or any other phone really), then I'd say that you're talking out your ass regarding Project Butter, Android GPU rendering, and almost everything else in that post.

You really think the Android geeks on XDA wouldn't have noticed a massive difference in battery life by now between JellyBean and ICS if Project Butter was as shitty implementation as you claim it to be? Really?
    Show us battery performance stats on ICS vs. JellyBean(both with Google Now enabled and disabled) on a Galaxy Nexus. That would determine if Project Butter is as shitty implementation as you describe it to be.

#41 lothar, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  17. Eug

Eug Lifer

Who is discrediting Motorola? I'm certainly not. In fact I commended them for actually trying to do something about it. I'm just saying they've decided to take a brute force approach because they have to, since they don't write the OS.

And yes you can compare battery life. Of course a 4.8" screen should use more power but that's not very helpful if the battery life is only 2/3rds as long as an iPhone 5, because the OS is not properly optimized for battery life and the company is not Motorola and decided not to oversize the battery to compensate.

18. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

I didn't say that you personally were. I'm only talking "generally" about all those that quote and use "hours/WhR" ratings like it's some kind of gospel.

How do you know that the OS is not optimized for battery life?
    Again, until Apple makes 4.7" or 5" iPhones or the Android manufacturers make a 4" Android phone that isn't a PoS, none of these battery life figures can be compared.
    My screen alone accounts for anywhere between 50-80% of my battery use on both my Nexus 7 and Galaxy S II. For every single device I've ever used and tested, the screen consumes more battery than everything else combined, including the OS and apps.

If Android OS was really that inefficient or not properly optimized, I would be seeing double digit percentages listed under "Android OS" in the battery statistics.
    Lets normalize those results "hour/WhR" results to "pixels per hour/WhR" for each OS and see how far we get.

#43 lothar, Jan 24, 2013
  19. Eug

Eug Lifer

FWIW, the iPad mini has a much larger screen than the Nexus 7 but a similarly sized battery, only very slightly larger. However, the iPad mini lasts much, much longer for web surfing.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/ipad-mini-battery-life-trounces-tablet-competition

One could argue that the Nexus 7 has a much faster CPU, but that would be missing the point, with the point being that Google seems to be less ambitious with its battery life targets, as is evidenced by their Nexus lines. Personally I think the reason for this is inferior battery life optimization coupled with a desire to reign in cost for the Nexus line. Motorola compensates for the relative lack of OS battery optimization by including MUCH larger batteries.

#44 Eug, Jan 24, 2013
  20. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

And how many total pixels is the iPad mini pushing compared to the Nexus 7?
    I'm sure Google could release a lower resolution Nexus with the same similarly sized battery and display that has much better battery life than the current Nexus 7. It doesn't mean that they should, however.

21. thecapsaicinkid

thecapsaicinkid Senior member

I think Android would do well to alert the user to apps which are excessively keeping the device from sleeping. The current battery monitor isn't really enough. It's too easy to install an app which trashes battery life.

22. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

Another non-issue to give exaggeration trolls something to do.

My SGS3 gets great battery life, and best of all, I can swap the battery whenever I need it to have INFINITE battery life. Many's the time when my wife's iPhone 4 is tethered somewhere charging and my SGS3 is (as always) ready to roll. So called 'great battery life' means squat dick when the phone is tethered useless somewhere to a charger.

#47 Zaap, Jan 24, 2013
  23. Eug

Eug Lifer

I don't care "what if" but "what is".

Errr... The iPhone 4 has pretty mediocre battery life. Nobody's denying that. However, the iPhone 4 came out in 2010.

24. SpongeBob

Ok buddy, don't know why you're so butthurt about it. Facts are the Maxx HD has build quality that rivals any smartphone on the market and better battery life than any smartphone on the market including the iPhone. These are substantiated by any of the reviews you will find.

25. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

If you're not willing to scientifically isolate out screens, pixels, battery ratings, and other things from the conclusion, then you can't assume Android OS is inefficient in Battery life compared to iOS then in any objective kind of way.
    You can make the conclusion that the iPad mini has better battery life than the Nexus 7 during web browsing however you can't claim that Android OS in inefficient without isolating the remaining things.
    If you only care about "what is" and not "what if" then that means iOS is very inefficient on battery life compared to Android if you're comparing the Razr Maxx to any other iOS device.
    When you're willing to eliminate things like humongous batteries, humongous screens, and humongous resolutions from the equation, let us know.

Now you can say...Yes, Android manufacturers are idiots for cramming 1080p on 5" screens with 2000mah non-removable batteries.