Android alternative to iPod?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by papaschtroumpf, Nov 6, 2012.

1. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Senior member

My kid's iPod 2nd Gen is getting old.

The battery is weak (but could be replaced), but a lot of apps are no longer compatible with the 2nd gen, and he is felling cramped with only 8G Flash.

He is looking at the new iPod5, but it's a but out of his Christmas budget. I also read it's not compatible with any of the accessories we already have, from chargers, to TV adapters, to alarm clocks and speakers.

Is there an android based alternative? he wouldn't be able to play the bunch of ipod games that he has, but he would be able to play the bunch of android games that I have instead.

Main uses would be listening to music (onboard, not streaming over wifi or cell network) and playing games (think puzzles like where is my water, or shooters or driving games).

No need for cell access, although I would consider getting a cell phone and never activate the cell phone itself). Camera (for pic, not video conferences) would be a plus.
    16G flash minimum, or taking a microSD would be best since I have a couple 32G ones lying around unused.

Ideally would like to keep price in the $150 range, but not sure that's possible (ipod4 16G is $200 if you can find it).

I'm weary of buying used devices.

#1 papaschtroumpf, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. vshah

vshah Lifer

the 3.6" galaxy player is $150 new. it has 8gb built in and takes microsd cards.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-YP-G70...+galaxy+player

if you are willing to go used, you could probably find a phone with much faster hardware and a larger/higher resolution screen for under $200. possibly even a galaxy nexus with stock jellybean.

3. TuxDave

TuxDave Lifer

How often does he pocket the iPod touch? If it's mostly on the road play or at home then what about just making the full jump to Nexus 7?

4. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Senior member

he carries it around for music, so the Nexus 7 is too big (I have one so he knows exactly what it's like).

I have seen the Galaxy Player but it feels a bit outdated.

It could be that a good used phone will be a better choice, especially because it gives the option to activate it on the cell network in a few years if he needs it.

5. vshah

vshah Lifer

in a few years that used phone will be horribly, terribly outdated.

i still think a quality used phone would provide a better music/games experience than the galaxy player. try for one with at least ICS. check www.swappa.com for a lot of well-cared-for android phones.

6. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

7. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

Outside of Samsung, the only company that I know that makes iPod like devices is Archos. They've got a pretty wide variety of devices to chose from, and a lot of them are available in the price range that you specified.

Otheriwe, you could check some of the refurbished iPods from Apple. You save a bit of money and they still come with the same one year warranty as a new one. It's also usually older stock so you could find something that works with your existing accessories.

8. SAWYER

SAWYER Lifer

I have a used 32 gig 4th gen touch for 150 shipped

9. blackdogdeek

blackdogdeek Lifer

i just found out about this:

http://www.playmg.com/

it's essentially the android equivalent of the ipod touch. it has SD card expandability.

10. luv2liv

luv2liv Platinum Member

samsung galaxy player 5 inch was something that i wanted to get to update my aging ipod touch 3rd gen. but im also thinking of getting a nice outdated phone like the samsung Captivate or GS II. might as well have a cheap disposable phone whenever i need a backup

11. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

That was going to be my suggestion. That is what my son uses now and it completely fits the bill.

MotionMan

12. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Platinum Member

Seems it has only a single core 1GHz Cortex A5 processor. Doesn't sounds like playing games, much less surfing the web, will be much fun on this. Only 4GB of local storage would be a concern too since I don't think everything will install to micro SD.

13. Kenmitch

Kenmitch Diamond Member

^ posted while typing :)

Why not just get him the 4th gen 32gb refurb from Apple? $179 currently

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC...uch-32gb-black

I'd think with him being in the eco system already it would be the logical thing to do....But change is also a good thing :)