Android 4.2* is awesome

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
android seems to get significantly better at least in some areas on every release... but 4.2 is just so damn slick and fast. the camera is so much easier and quicker to use too... and it wasnt bad before. im just going by an asop release too! its better then fully customized ics releases on my htc sensation..

Technically this is an OS thread and as such can remain here. However I think you'd be far more satisfied having this in Mobile Devices; we don't get a lot of mobile-related traffic in here
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Well, I can't say how much Android has gotten better compared to the past releases - My first Android experience was 4.1.2. Heh.

But it's amazing how capable of this little OS is. I get surprised on a daily basis with its seemingly endless possibilities. Just yesterday, I ran into this app.

Servers Ultimate

Lets you run 20+ types of servers.. on a $100 tablet and a $600 phone alike, and the install package is meager 4.4 MB in size! (had to look at it close if I were missing a dot. it's mind-boggling) Free to try and $6.50 for the whole thing. And you never know when it's going to be on sale.. but often times they do when a competition shows up! I am having a blast these days just fooling around with Android.

Last edited:

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
android was always good, but very limited in features overall. custom roms and kernels helped, but it was android 4 that really turned android on a dime. features started pouring in, and while 4.0 has is lags, version after version was faster. 4.1 was noticeably better, at it seemed they maxed things out... but 4.2 is so smooth yet again it feels like new hardware was installed.

i hope they keep this focus they have on speed. it is crucial when it comes to phones imo...

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Agree. Like I mentioned previously, I have no clue how shitty Android was prior to Jelly Bean, but as of now my perception of Android (4.1 and onward) is extremely positive. I even made 2 logins for Android-oriented forums.

Since a mod kindly reminded us that this thread would not likely attract trolls (thank you, ViRGE!) let me also say that this OS is waaayyyy better suited for a user like me than iOS which basically dictates what you can/cannot do with your hardware. Granted, you must gain the root access for the complete control, but that is a totally acceptable practice in my book. You don't want seniors/juniors to mess up devices and deal with the accompanying technical services.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
there is always that on going debate about rooting. its necessary though, because just like you said if you dont try to keep the software in tact youll end up with winmo5 all over again, basically.

whats awesome is they ALLOW rooting, and so far most manufacturers dont do too much to make rooting and unlocking impossible either. it ends up being a lot of fun for techy people like me... unlocking and rooting a phone, then installing a souped up custom os is just awesome imo. especially when the phone is discontinued and no longer supported by the manufacturer.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Do you know how Messenger app in Android operate, apart from Google Voice? I have been using Google Voice as an SMS replacement and haven't touched the Messenger app on my Nexus 7. Was wondering what exactly it is. Does it work only between Android devices? (kind of like traditional messenger apps, such as MSN messenger, Yahoo messenger, etc.)

bibletoter

Aug 7, 2006
The best thing about android is that even as far back as 2.2 you could tweak it so thoroughly. I could really get by on froyo even now.

LucJoe

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
Do you know how Messenger app in Android operate, apart from Google Voice? I have been using Google Voice as an SMS replacement and haven't touched the Messenger app on my Nexus 7. Was wondering what exactly it is. Does it work only between Android devices? (kind of like traditional messenger apps, such as MSN messenger, Yahoo messenger, etc.)

Messenger app? You're probably referring to the standard SMS app. It just sends SMS/MMS. On my phone it's called "Messaging".

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Messenger app? You're probably referring to the standard SMS app. It just sends SMS/MMS. On my phone it's called "Messaging".

But how does it work on a tablet with no phone numbers? was my question. Since Android is an OS that works with or without a SIM, the messenger app can't be the same as SMS/MMS, me thinks?

I guess I shouldn't be too lazy and should try it myself.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
google voice texts are kinda like voip for texts. toip i guess. basically, they are instant messages in a shell that looks like texts.

sms is different because it uses its own proprietary protocal that is universally supported by everyone, which is a rare thing in technology. it is also somewhat seperate from the data or voice networks in the cellular system... and its by far the lowest bandwidth hungy of the three (even if you count mms). i see sms as a lifeline to the cell networks, a last resort, easiest to maintain system that should never be eliminated. the redundancy of its nature alone is quite valuable imo.

cellular voice networks can go though, imo. they might perform better then voip options right now, but thats basically what they are anyway just specially tweaked to match the hardware they run on. funny when you think about it like that... theres no such thing as a voice network, its just a premium voip service that your cell company is selling you :D. maybe though, someday voice over ip will match proprietary systems and voice networks simply will be too costly to maintain...

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
That is interesting. I didn't know the exact details of how SMS works. Thank you for the explanation.

But my original question, which was kind of lost over the communication, was whether there is any difference between Android's built-in messenger app and Google Voice's text msg support. I am guessing not.. ? Am I right on that? It's kind of like when MS had Windows Messenger (that came with Windows) and Hotmail/Live Messenger (that were separate cross-platform products)

Everything is eventually data, be that voice or video. I have heard that this is becoming a huge headache of telecom companies in some smaller countries (e.g. Korea) because people realized that they didn't need separate lines for phone calls and Internet browsing as VOIP products are getting better and better.

That probably won't happen anytime soon in the states - just imagine the collective and reactionary efforts that big telecom corporations will pour into in order to prevent/delay such reality from happening - but where there is a will, there is a way, too. ^_^ OS like Android is what makes it easier/possible.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
there are minor differences. first, well a major one, is that google voice doesnt support mms. i think it might forward them to your email but im not sure on that.

the other is no short code support for google voice texts. so if you see an offer "text YES to 9884" or whatever, you cant do it with google voice. you must use your native sms service. biggest real world problem is text banking. so convienent, but you cant do it on google voice.

but other then those two things, google voice texts really do work just as well. i use it as my primary texting service, even though i have unlimited sms. if i need to shortcode something, i just use my native app.

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Great information, again thank you.

Let me ask a few more questions, might as well. :p

- On my Nexus 7 3G/HSPA+, I installed a system management app that does a lot of things. I was checking out on the quality of my new data plan (T-Mobile, with which I am quite satisfied so far) and saw "SMS over IMS." What does that do/mean?

6p6MLdl.png

- Is there a way to change the default system voice of Android? I am not too fond of her voice.

- Why does Google Voice support SMS but not MMS? It's simply to conserve bandwidth directly, or is there a technical reason (which may relates to bandwidth anyway)?