Andrew Cuomo upset about losing SALT deductions

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Whether it gains Dems seats or not doesnt really change things that eventually you’ll have to take a position on SALT one way or the other. Avoiding the question and “do nothing” just locks in the cap; you’d have to take action to change it. This applies whether that change is removing the or changing the cap amount in either direction. The question of whether you want to restore a tax cut in SALT that almost exclusively benefits the well-off will still be there waiting for you as well.

I support it.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Whether it gains Dems seats or not doesnt really change things that eventually you’ll have to take a position on SALT one way or the other. Avoiding the question and “do nothing” just locks in the cap; you’d have to take action to change it. This applies whether that change is removing the or changing the cap amount in either direction. The question of whether you want to restore a tax cut in SALT that almost exclusively benefits the well-off will still be there waiting for you as well.

Of course it does. If there are a bunch of pissed off people re: shitty GOP tax cut, they get pounded in the campaign, then they lose bigly in 20, then the chances for unfucking this tax cut into something more suited to the 95% will happen. The SALT issue will be dealt with in the midst of all the other bullshit, and I will bet something far better for folks living in high productivity urban/suburban areas.

That's why you got Harris talking middle class tax cut and Trump still screaming about Mexicans and abortions.

So do suburbanites love money or hate Mexicans more? We're going to find out.

Reactions: jmagg

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Update on the SALT cap impact. I was talking to my financial guy yesterday about various things including real estate. He was telling me how folks in New York and New Jersey who were hit hardest by the SALT cap are putting their homes up for sale and moving to Florida.

Middle-class homeowners hit by the new tax law: "This is going to wipe us out"
11 million taxpayers hit
Fawcett isn't alone. Almost 11 million taxpayers in high-tax states like New Jersey will lose out on $323 billion in deductions because of the SALT deduction cap, the Treasury Department estimated last month.

About 80 percent of the full SALT deduction had benefited Americans earning more than $100,000 per year, according to the Tax Foundation. But families in high-tax states like New York and New Jersey have a higher cost of living, where $100,000 doesn't stretch as far. For instance, a taxpayer earning $50,000 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, would need to earn $101,000 to have the equivalent quality of life in Manhattan, according to financial site NerdWallet.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Feb 4, 2009
Update on the SALT cap impact. I was talking to my financial guy yesterday about various things including real estate. He was telling me how folks in New York and New Jersey who were hit hardest by the SALT cap are putting their homes up for sale and moving to Florida.

Next we'll hear the Despicables want some kind of law to prevent people from voting for x years when they move to a new State if FL starts getting filled up with NY Liberals.

Good luck selling those homes now that people can't write off the property taxes on them.

They will sell them

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Next we'll hear the Despicables want some kind of law to prevent people from voting for x years when they move to a new State if FL starts getting filled up with NY Liberals.

They will sell them
Sure but they'll probably take a hit on the price.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I have a feeling the people able to afford those big homes are GOP'ers.

So GOPers who live in deep blue states (where their votes are basically wasted) will move to highly contested tossup state Florida and vote there instead (where their votes may well determine the outcome)? And you think this is a good thing?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So GOPers who live in deep blue states (where their votes are basically wasted) will move to highly contested tossup state Florida and vote there instead (where their votes may well determine the outcome)? And you think this is a good thing?

You mean they'll forget why they were forced to move? It's not like everybody can just up & do that, either.

Beyond that, It seems unlikely that such a migration wouldn't reflect the politics of the place they're leaving.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It's not a thing at all. You're taking a "people are saying" and assuming it's true, when there's no data to back it up.
You're also misplacing the blame here, which most of the taxpayers stuck paying these higher FEDERAL taxes aren't doing. They're well aware of who raised their FEDERAL taxes.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

I don't think they'll move. They make their money of high density neighborhoods and more customers which can be a challenge in the red states.

So if they move, they'll have lower income and lower taxes. Most likely they'll just vote blue for a cycle to fix taxes so it doesn't hurt their wallet.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

Umm....New Yorker here.

Getting slammed by higher taxes under the new tax law has prompted some to rethink their plans, even mulling moving after their kids graduate from high school.
In the long-term, she said she has thought about moving once their youngest child graduates from high school.
This article was written by an douchebag.
For over a century....NY'ers have sold their homes and moved to cheaper states when they retire from the high paying NE jobs or when their kids have graduated from the excellent schools.

Those homes will get scooped up immediate as new blood moves right in and repeats the cycle.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Umm....New Yorker here.

This article was written by an douchebag.
For over a century....NY'ers have sold their homes and moved to cheaper states when they retire from the high paying NE jobs or when their kids have graduated from the excellent schools.

Those homes will get scooped up immediate as new blood moves right in and repeats the cycle.

That's far from universal. People have myriad reasons for not moving, employment chief among them. Nobody wants to be priced out of their own home. If they move, they want it to be voluntary. Retirees bring their own money & are therefore an asset wherever they live.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
That's far from universal. People have myriad reasons for not moving, employment chief among them. Nobody wants to be priced out of their own home. If they move, they want it to be voluntary. Retirees bring their own money & are therefore an asset wherever they live.

It may be far from universal but it is mostly universal. I've seen it myself. Moved into my current neighborhood 35 years ago.. and everyone has sold their house and moved to other states or other cheaper to live areas except me and 1 neighbor. House values have gone up almost 1500% in about 35 years.

I do agree with you that no one wants to be priced out of their home or neighborhood. It's why AOC was elected.. gentrification and it's a huge deal. Flippers buy 2 neighboring properties.. break em, rebuild them into 4 houses and resell them at exorbitant prices. It's already happened to 4 houses on my block and I keep getting offers to sell my home.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I have a feeling the people able to afford those big homes are GOP'ers.

This is why the gop lost 9 congressional districts in Orange County. I mean think about that. More seats then like the top bottom 8 states. Just lol.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I’m confused as to why Republicans jacking up their taxes would make them move other places and vote Republican.

Things like this are part of the reason the GOP got obliterated in the midterms. Affluent suburbs deserted them in droves.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I’m confused as to why Republicans jacking up their taxes would make them move other places and vote Republican.

Things like this are part of the reason the GOP got obliterated in the midterms. Affluent suburbs deserted them in droves.

Except the idiot affluents like Scott Walker who thought they would move to bum fuck Wisconsin because of low tax rates.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
A moronic conservative expressing joy about a conservative policy that largely targets a group of people that they have been trained to hate? Gee, who didn't see that one. coming. Wow, what a burn! And it only comes at the expense of others, like most things that make conservatives happy these days.

BTW: Texas doesn't need an income tax because they have "fees" for just about every damned thing you want to do in that state...lol!
They even have a fee for picking your nose in public!!!

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
The OP does know that Texas has the highest property tax rates in the US, right? And that he is celebrating that people are having to pay taxes on taxes. yes?
I guess principles don't matter when you're stickin it to the libs, eh?

not as high as NJ but still pretty fricken up there. but i guess its ok since every texas high school needs a college size stadium football field.

Mar 11, 2004
Except the idiot affluents like Scott Walker who thought they would move to bum fuck Wisconsin because of low tax rates.

Hey, he's just following Brownback, because Kansas just has so much to offer people that they'll flock there in droves if you give them just a little incentive! He super swears, just you know, let him fuck everything up, ok so the basic math of his economic plan doesn't add up, but he promises it will if you just let him fuck over Kansans for decades!

Kansas, where the motto should be: "Visit Colorado, we'll bust your ass if we get even a hint of a whiff of weed tho! Or, "Visit Missouri, where your grandparents can pretend they're hip by going to a milquetoast Vegas!" Or "at least we're not Nebraska or Oklahoma! We've got all the negatives of them, just...well ok so we kinda all blur together and even before you could fly people just treated Kansas as a "get the fuck outta there as quickly as possible" land. Hell by the time Route 66 was made they actually even were like "there's nothing there, let's find some other way around" but hit southern Missouri and either needing a break from the Ozarks or possibly running from backwoods rapists making them squeal like a piggy were like "well ok we'll see what Kansas is like - oh gawd get us the fuck out of here Naow!"

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
This is why the gop lost 9 congressional districts in Orange County. I mean think about that. More seats then like the top bottom 8 states. Just lol.
Orange County is one of if not the most affluent counties in the country. Not surprising that tax burden swayed voters.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

No you’re right, a republican moving from New York to Florida because of SALT taxes would obviously changed their vote to Democrats. Most of whom are advocating for 70% tax rates which would dwarf the SALT tax increase by orders of magnitude.