ANDANDTECH SUBSCRIPTION discussion

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: gtsukada
i know FW also tends to make money off affiliate sales, as far as i know AT does nothing like that. Another question why am i not allowed to use the F word in here?

The "f" word is uncalled for. There are more subtle ways of saying what you want without using explicatives. Just b/c you may not be so easily offended by the word doesn't mean that the next guy (or gal) isn't. You=selfish and inconsiderate. What are you, two?

-=bmacd=-

edit: and I LOVE my subscription. The forums are sooo much faster. Although i probably spend too much time here on ATOT anyways, it's a great place to unwind with some laughs after a long day @ work. Thanks Anand and the ATOT community :)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: bmacd
Originally posted by: gtsukada
i know FW also tends to make money off affiliate sales, as far as i know AT does nothing like that. Another question why am i not allowed to use the F word in here?

The "f" word is uncalled for. There are more subtle ways of saying what you want without using explicatives. Just b/c you may not be so easily offended by the word doesn't mean that the next guy (or gal) isn't. You=selfish and inconsiderate. What are you, two?

-=bmacd=-

edit: and I LOVE my subscription. The forums are sooo much faster. Although i probably spend too much time here on ATOT anyways, it's a great place to unwind with some laughs after a long day @ work. Thanks Anand and the ATOT community :)

You=Clueless

I believe the F word he's referring to is F@tW@llet which we Ferengi refer to as ObeseBillfold or FW.

:D

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
I'm a subscriber, although I'm beginning to think that it's not worth it.

I know bandwidth isn't cheap but there's other forum out there
probably as big if not bigger than AT.

Off-topic.net is one of thse HUGE
ones that somehow manages its traffic flow without ANY ads.
(There's a small donations link at the bottom of their page)

I think the bandwidth problem isn't from the active posters, but
primarily from lurkers in the Hot Deals forum. But I'm sure off-topic does
get it's fair share of page views too.

I would like to see better features for subscribers, and maybe even making
Off-Topic subscriber only if bandwidth is that much of a problem.
At the very least, make people register to view Hot Deals.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
Aren't we (subscribers) technically paying for the bandwidth for the non-subscribers and lurkers? But they don't get much bandwidth anyway...

And we can't lock out hot deals for the non-subscribers, otherwise, we might miss some hot deals. I'm a subscriber but I don't frequently post hot deals in that forum, only occasionally. I'm not too good on that PM and rebate stuff :)

SirDante

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2000
I've noticed the higher your post count = the more fair the $30 fee seems. See the first couple of replys here. Makes sense because $30 isn't much considering.

Someone with 10000 posts need to pay some more. ;)

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I've been a subscriber since February and am very happy with it. I think that custom Avatars would be a really nice additional feature. How difficult would that be to implement? Not that hard, would it? I assume FuseTalk does support them?

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
$30 is fine with me. hell i'd probably pay 40 or 50 if i had to. some might, but i like this forum a lot, and i'm on it all the time. gets me through work (where they pay me what $8 an hour to surf this forum, i make back my subscription in one day)

Utterman

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: murphy55d
I've been a subscriber since February and am very happy with it. I think that custom Avatars would be a really nice additional feature. How difficult would that be to implement? Not that hard, would it? I assume FuseTalk does support them?

Fusetalk has support for cucstom avatars, but they are disabled right now.