And We're back to the 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
While the displacement has been available in other markets, this engine is all new and looks great on paper:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/05/meet-audis-new-engine-the-1-8-tfsi/

Sure the power is not at 2.0T levels, but there is a lot of torque and 41mpg in an A5 is impressive. Also, the fact that they are mixing direct injection with injection on the intake runners should help with the carbon buildup issues.

Would love one of these with a manual or dual clutch in the next A3:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/01/geneva-2011-audi-a3-sedan-concept-opens-the-show-in-style/

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Wow. It's basically a cheaper, better performing and nearly equal MPG gas engine. Diesel who?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Very cool technology.

Somehow I doubt it's going to help Audi's reputation for expensive repairs though. :eek:

Very complex systems. I'm all for it if that's what we need to make engines more efficient, but eesh. It's not going to be pretty when things go wrong.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Very cool technology.

Somehow I doubt it's going to help Audi's reputation for expensive repairs though. :eek:

Very complex systems. I'm all for it if that's what we need to make engines more efficient, but eesh. It's not going to be pretty when things go wrong.

Agreed...which is unfortunate. I like the tech steps Audi/VW has been taking the last decade (DI, DSG, etc), but they tend to go with the complex (the new definition of German Over-engineering) instead of elegantly simple. Still, the engine should be quite an achievement if that really is the highway MPG that it ends up with.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Interesting output numbers, I would love to see a dyno.

This just further enforces the notion that the old gasoline combustion engine still has a lot of life left in it, add some new tech here and there and voila - super efficient, low emissions motor that still delivers the goods.

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
The way everyone was talking, I thought it was going to have 230+ hp...

170 hp isn't that impressive to me, there are plenty of N/A 1.8s that put out 150 hp and get close to that mileage. It's only the MPG number that's cool, and it sounds like they have an electronic waterpump, some sort of hybrid fuel injector setup, and all other sorts of cool doodadds to handle that. I'm glad the CAFE standards have automakers finally doing something about fuel economy.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

170 hp isn't that impressive to me, there are plenty of N/A 1.8s that put out 150 hp and get close to that mileage. It's only the MPG number that's cool, and it sounds like they have an electronic waterpump, some sort of hybrid fuel injector setup, and all other sorts of cool doodadds to handle that. I'm glad the CAFE standards have automakers finally doing something about fuel economy.

Well it's also got almost 240 ft/lbs of torque which is almost double what many other N/A's that size are capable of. That really helps with the "seat of the pants" factor and should make this thing a jackrabbit around town depending on how it's geared.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Well it's also got almost 240 ft/lbs of torque which is almost double what many other N/A's that size are capable of. That really helps with the "seat of the pants" factor and should make this thing a jackrabbit around town depending on how it's geared.

yeah thats the thing, it has a crapload of torque. it's almost like a diesel in that sense :eek:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

I think you answered your own gripe in this post.

170HP is just the stock tuned figure, and it's almost certainly tuned for incredible efficiency in stock form. I'd bet these things will tune like demons aftermarket, but a more aggressive stock tune would penalize fuel economy.

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
...in stock form. I'd bet these things will tune like demons aftermarket, but a more aggressive stock tune would penalize fuel economy.

I wonder if that will be the case, with this funky hybrid fuel injector system (and I really don't see how a hybrid of mpfi could improve over direct injection... perhaps that's a marketing spin on a way to produce a direct injected engine for less cost?)

I suppose it could be the warmer temps of the air/fuel mixture that would help fuel economy (but not performance) in certain situations

Status
Not open for further replies.