And the good news is.. more Stargate

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The bad news is, yet another dumbass subscription service attempting to use the IP as leverage.

Ugh - most of these people try to shove shitty, content restricted, obstacle ridden subscription services down our throats and then complains no one uses them and everyone pirates. Netflix and Hulu show that if you aren't retarded about how you do it it works but people like CBS still can't figure it out

Reactions: Ken g6

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I had such fond memories of the Stargate movie, but I went back and tried to watch it and was asleep halfway through. Definitely did not hold up.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Ten 10-minute episodes to push a new "digital platform" (read subscription)? No thank you. At least, I am seeing reference to 10 minute episodes, but the official press release doesn't explicitly state that. It appears to be some sort of silly phone/tablet cash grab and not really a continuation of any Stargate. I hope I'm wrong, but signs do not appear to be good.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I haven't seen anything mentioning 10 minutes per episode. The only thing mentioned about that is that there will be 10 episodes.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Ugh - most of these people try to shove shitty, content restricted, obstacle ridden subscription services down our throats and then complains no one uses them and everyone pirates. Netflix and Hulu show that if you aren't retarded about how you do it it works but people like CBS still can't figure it out

They also don't realize people don't want 20 different subscription services. They want it all in one place. Much like Steam. The first who comes and gets it right gets the majority. The rest have to get scraps.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Instead of making money from its fans and reaching a broader audience through something like Netflix, a narrow audience will pirate the show and it'll just get canceled.

This is bad news for Stargate fans. Prepare for another canceled series.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Are we going to get something more like Stargate SG-1 or Stargate Universe? :p

I had such fond memories of the Stargate movie, but I went back and tried to watch it and was asleep halfway through. Definitely did not hold up.

The problem is that Stargate SG-1 is just better all-around... albeit, I mostly ignore everything after Colonel O'Neill became the Major as it just wasn't the same.

SG-1 always had a special place for me, because my family was never really.. well, much of a family. Everything stereotypical that you'd expect of a family wasn't done for me. Hell, I never heard my mom or dad say "I love you" before, and people find it weird that I've never said that to them. Anyway, I mention that because watching Stargate SG-1 was one of the few things that we did together. It was the only reason we had a Showtime subscription back before it was on Sci-Fi.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I haven't seen anything mentioning 10 minutes per episode. The only thing mentioned about that is that there will be 10 episodes.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/20/16007184/stargate-origins-sg-1-mgm-sdcc-2017
https://techiegamers.com/stargate-revived-online-10-minute-episodes/
https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/07/mgm-announces-new-original-series-stargate-origins/

Granted, these could all be referencing incorrect data (and that's why I pointed out that the press release don't indicate the length). It's enough that this seems more like a "push a microtransaction mobile game" than "new stargate" to me. I want to be wrong, but....

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Loved SG1, it's spinoffs Atlantis and Universe not so much. Not sure why a sequel of the movie was never made.

SG-Origins trailer looks good, can't wait to see how it is. 10 minute episodes, WTF.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I liked Atlantis more than SG1, but I saw both later and SG1 didn't really hold up that well. I didn't bother with Universe after a few episodes.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm, I'm not sure what to make of that trailer. It seems short on the sci-fi and long on the Indiana Jones-style desert adventure. And then we have the Nazis activating the gate, and it's the movie gate?!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Hmm, I'm not sure what to make of that trailer. It seems short on the sci-fi and long on the Indiana Jones-style desert adventure. And then we have the Nazis activating the gate, and it's the movie gate?!

Same here. I was wondering when Harrison Ford was going to show up

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hm, it looks more like an adventure series where the Stargate is just the MacGuffin. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if you wanted a series more like the original Stargate series, you may end up disappointed.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

I always watch it to see the strings holding up the little fighters as they zoom through and drop bombs on the city.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I picked up Stargate Atlantis on Bluray when it was on sale for C$25. I'll just watch that.

Reactions: Ken g6

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Yea m8 once Anubis died in the feature film it was over for me.
Huh?

1) Anubis isn't dead. He never actually died since he was semi-ascended. He's technically in limbo fighting Oma for all time.

2) Anubis wasn't in any films. There was only the original Stargate movie. Even if you count the Direct-to-video movies, Anubis still wasn't in them.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I saw it pop up the other night and since I'm a SG fan(I didn't even mind SGU!) I decided to watch it. It is terrible. Just plain awful from the acting and story to it making no sense from scene to scene.

I fell asleep a little over half way through and will not be resuming this piece of crap not even to say I had the stomach to finished it.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I saw it pop up the other night and since I'm a SG fan(I didn't even mind SGU!) I decided to watch it. It is terrible. Just plain awful from the acting and story to it making no sense from scene to scene.

I fell asleep a little over half way through and will not be resuming this piece of crap not even to say I had the stomach to finished it.
If it helped you relax enough to fall asleep unintentionally, it could be a useful tool for those of us who suffer from delayed sleep onset disorder!